Czech Foreign Minister on World Roma Day: Fighting for equality is an integral part of Czech foreign policy
Speaking on the occasion of World Roma Day today, Czech Foreign Minister Tomáš Petříček (Czech Social Democratic Party - ČSSD) said that fighting for equality is an integral part of Czech foreign policy. "Today is the day of Romani culture, history and language, but also a reminder of the never-ending fight for equality irrespective of race, sex, religion or political convictions. These values are also an integral part of Czech foreign policy," he said.
Romani people all over the globe mark World Roma Day on 8 April. This year marks 50 years since the important day on which the historic first-ever World Roma Congress was held in Orpington near London in 1971 in the United Kingdom.
That meeting laid the foundations for the international collaborations to come among Romani people and the movement attained an international sociopolitical dimension. Romani people annually commemorate their common culture, language and origin, their shared collaborations and unification, and above all their Romipen ("Romani-ness").
- "Haters Will Not Stop Us!" ROMEA launches campaign to support Romani scholarship program
- Czech ecumenical service sends wishes of good fortune and good health to Romani people on their day
- Czech activist on 8 April: the Romani position in society is deteriorating, zero results from the financing invested
- Czech actors send greetings to Romani people for 8 April, World Roma Day
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- 50th anniversary of the international movement of Romani people celebrated worldwide
- Outgoing Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner calls on new administration to establish Commissioner for Romani Affairs
- Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner stepping down by the end of January
- Andrea Bučková's time as Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Roma is over, new Plenipotentiary is Ján Hero
- Jarmila Balážová: Petr Uhl stood up for Romani people many times
- Petr Uhl, dissident in communist Czechoslovakia, human rights defender and journalist, has passed away
- Slovak Government apologizes for illegal sterilizations, lawyer and Plenipotentiary for the Romani Community say compensation must follow
- International Romani Union seeks urgent humanitarian aid for Afghanistan's Romani population
- Commentary: The dictatorship in a hostile Russia is criticizing the Czechs about human rights over the death of Stanislav Tomáš
- Council of Europe seeks independent, thorough investigation of the death of Romani community member Stanislav Tomáš in Teplice, Czech Republic
- Annual commemoration of the Holocaust of the Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, is postponed due to the pandemic
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- VIDEO: Igor Kmeťo, Jr., Monika Bagárová, Jan Bendig and others release new song for International Roma Day