Czech futsal club "takes a knee" against the xenophobic remarks of the SPD chair and the President
The Dynamo Černý Most futsal club has received hundreds of "likes" and shares on Facebook after player and trainer Marek Bělor, a Romani community member, posted a photo expressing disagreement with the hateful remarks of SPD chair Tomio Okamura and Czech President Miloš Zeman. The club has taken a clear stance against the dissemination of negative attitudes toward minorities through which Okamura, his party and the Czech President are inciting racism and xenophobia in society.
The club published the photograph of its players of different nationalities kneeling with their arms around each other's shoulders to its Facebook profile with this message: "Greetings to all our fans! By posting this photo we are expressing our protest against racism, it bothers us that Tomio Okamura's SPD party is able to be in Parliament. We are bothered by the incitement to racism and by the bans on a faith, we disagree with the behavior of the President of the Czech Republic. Our team is multicultural and exactly for that reason we are proud of them! The only weapon against all of this is peace, irrespective of race and religion. We ask you to share our protest and spread it around! Thank you! Stop racism! Stop Ortel."
The post was made at the beginning of December by Bělor, whose multicultural team is comprised of 15 members of various nationalities. "On the team we have members playing whose origins are from different countries. For example we have guys from Afghanistan, Bulgaria, China, Mexico, Slovakia, Ukraine, Vietnam - but also Czechs, Roma and Slovaks aged 15 and older are playing together," he told news server Romea.cz.
"Our team is running for a second year already. I saw these guys come to the pitch to practice. I saw they were talented and just didn't have anywhere to play," he described the beginnings of the club.
"I disagree with what Okamura is advocating here. Through our multicultural team we want to demonstrate that even though we are not remunerated for our work on the pitch, the guys know how to show that irrespective of their ethnicity, their nationality, or their skin color, they know how to unite and work towards the same goal, to play on the same team," Bělor told Romea.cz.
- Organizers of yesterday's demonstration say politicians' allegations of "assault" by protesters in front of Prague hotel are a lie
- VIDEO: "We don't want Fascists here" - protests against Prague meeting of xenophobic parties from around Europe
- Czech Republic: Hundreds demonstrate against meeting of anti-immigration hate parties from all over Europe
- Roma to demonstrate in Ostrava, Czech Republic, Saturday for equal access to quality education
- Czech Republic: Protesters shout "Nazis Go Home" in front of Okamura's campaign office
- Czech Police intervene as extremists, neo-Nazis and religious believers protest Prague Pride parade
- Girl Scout from iconic photo in Brno, Czech Republic tells Romea.cz she feels obligated to protest fascist ideologies and opinions
- Czech neo-Nazis experience May Day debacle as counter-protests drown them out with music
- Czech tabloid uses old video from French taxi drivers' protest, claims it is of current protests by immigrants
- Czech capital one of more than 600 marches worldwide in solidarity with women demonstrating in Washington DC
- Czech Republic: Protest tomorrow about social housing law
- Czech opposition leaders express support for Romani celebrity's protest against xenophobic band
- Disgraced Austrian leader who backed Czech MP was a neo-Nazi for years, according to new evidence
- Slovak football tournament brings together diplomats, Roma and politicians for the fifth time
- VIDEO: Kickbox champ of Czech Republic wins again, celebrates with the Romani flag
- Romani athlete Dominik Oračko of the Czech Republic wins two gold medals and one silver at the Youth World Weightlifting Championships
- Czech civil society urges MPs not to elect President's nominee for Deputy Public Defender of Rights
- Romani girl who won race in Slovakia while running in flats keeps on winning
- Romani kickbox champ of Czech Republic celebrates victory at Muay-Thai evening in Slovakia with Romani flag around his shoulders
- Terezín Memorial no longer collaborating with controversial head of Czech Freedom Fighters' Union
- Czech ultra-nationalist falsely attributes acid attack committed by native British man to "Muslim immigrants"
- Czech terrorist gets four years, judge says he was influenced by the public dissemination of extremism
- Czech and Romani-Slovak rappers box each other in front of sold-out arena in Prague
- Czech Government approves extremism report, rhetoric of some MPs is more radical than neo-Nazis' now