Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion informs ombudsman that 82 % of communities where they work are satisfied
The Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion has objected to the remarks made publicly last week by Czech Public Defender of Rights (ombudsman) Stanislav Křeček as part of his critique of the draft Roma Strategy for 2021-2030. The ombudsman said he considers the Agency to be "absolutely dysfunctional".
The Agency says its own data and experience from the field contravene the ombudsman's remarks. News server Romea.cz contacted the Agency for its comment.
"I have to also mention the Agency for Social Inclusion, which I consider an absolutely dysfunctional institution because many municipalities refuse to collaborate with it," the ombudsman said, blaming both the state Agency and a pressure group called the Platform for Social Housing for the fact that the number of excluded localities has almost tripled while they have been active. Petr Syruček, spokesperson for the Ministry for Regional Development, which supervises the Department/Agency for Social Inclusion, directed by Romani community member David Beňák, responded with the following information: "At the moment, 169 municipalities all over the Czech Republic are cooperating with the Agency in all of the types of support we offer. At the close of 2020, an investigation was undertaken to, among other things, assess the quality of those collaborations. The Agency asked representatives of each cooperating municipality about the interventions by the Agency on their territories. Overall, 82 % of them expressed satisfaction."
"In 2019 alone (the data for 2020 is still being processed) the Agency arranged for almost 8 000 people to receive debt counseling, aided 1 200 people with acquiring housing or staying in their housing, and thanks to the Agency's support, municipalities have 60 new crime prevention assistants available to them. Also thanks to collaboration with the Agency, 3 500 children enjoy better conditions for education, roughly 1 500 of whom are Romani. The Agency also systematically assists with advocating for effective legislative tools to combat social exclusion at local and national level," Syruček told Romea.cz.
Křeček has been criticized for his remarks on the draft Roma Strategy by representatives of nonprofit organizations and by some volunteer civil society members of the Czech Government Council for Romani Minority Affairs. Those members said Křeček does not understand the powers of his office, made untruthful statements about the Roma Strategy, and intentionally, systematically undermines the dignity of Romani people with his remarks.
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion: Those left out of distance learning could go to summer school
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion director gives interview about state support during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion praises town for using EU funds to create social housing
- Czech mayor who failed to tackle "white flight" publicly curses nonprofits and Romani people, Agency for Social Inclusion calls for dialogue
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion publishes analysis of segregation in primary schools
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion objects to disinformation published about its proposals for infamous housing estate
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion does not support new investment into infamous housing estate properties
- First Czech real estate agency motivated by social responsibility in the Plzeň Region opens for business
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion criticizes housing benefit-free zones
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion distances itself from group led by candidate for party using racist slogan
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion does not support housing benefit-free zones in Liberec
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion introduces itself to Romani coordinators in South Moravia
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion: 80 % of families who left residential hotels for standard rentals still renting one year later
- Photos and video from the symbolic demolition of the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Czech organization Million Moments for Democracy calls on Public Defender of Rights to resign
- Czech nonprofits call on Public Defender of Rights to reassign the agendas previously managed by the Deputy Public Defender of Rights back to her as soon as possible
- Czech Police arrest man with Nazi swastika tatoo at anti-Goverment demo where Russian national anthem was played
- Czech Republic's housing benefit rules are easier as of this month
- Leader of the Czech lower house wants explanation in person from Public Defender of Rights about how he has treated the Deputy Public Defender of Rights
- Former Czech ombudswoman says she believes ombudsman depriving deputy of her agenda was likely an act of revenge and she should ask the lower house to act
- Czech Public Defender of Rights criticized by Romani figures, they believe the lower house should intervene
- Czech Senator Adéla Šípová calls for Stanislav Křeček to resign as Public Defender of Rights
- Czech PM to ask Public Defender of Rights to explain his decision to remove agendas from his Deputy, other politicians in governing coalition criticize that decision as well
- Czech NGO consortium RomanoNet calls on lower house to dismiss Stanislav Křeček as Public Defender of Rights
- Czech Public Defender of Rights takes agenda away from Deputy Public Defender of Rights, she is considering suing him for defamation