Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion informs ombudsman that 82 % of communities where they work are satisfied
The Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion has objected to the remarks made publicly last week by Czech Public Defender of Rights (ombudsman) Stanislav Křeček as part of his critique of the draft Roma Strategy for 2021-2030. The ombudsman said he considers the Agency to be "absolutely dysfunctional".
The Agency says its own data and experience from the field contravene the ombudsman's remarks. News server Romea.cz contacted the Agency for its comment.
"I have to also mention the Agency for Social Inclusion, which I consider an absolutely dysfunctional institution because many municipalities refuse to collaborate with it," the ombudsman said, blaming both the state Agency and a pressure group called the Platform for Social Housing for the fact that the number of excluded localities has almost tripled while they have been active. Petr Syruček, spokesperson for the Ministry for Regional Development, which supervises the Department/Agency for Social Inclusion, directed by Romani community member David Beňák, responded with the following information: "At the moment, 169 municipalities all over the Czech Republic are cooperating with the Agency in all of the types of support we offer. At the close of 2020, an investigation was undertaken to, among other things, assess the quality of those collaborations. The Agency asked representatives of each cooperating municipality about the interventions by the Agency on their territories. Overall, 82 % of them expressed satisfaction."
"In 2019 alone (the data for 2020 is still being processed) the Agency arranged for almost 8 000 people to receive debt counseling, aided 1 200 people with acquiring housing or staying in their housing, and thanks to the Agency's support, municipalities have 60 new crime prevention assistants available to them. Also thanks to collaboration with the Agency, 3 500 children enjoy better conditions for education, roughly 1 500 of whom are Romani. The Agency also systematically assists with advocating for effective legislative tools to combat social exclusion at local and national level," Syruček told Romea.cz.
Křeček has been criticized for his remarks on the draft Roma Strategy by representatives of nonprofit organizations and by some volunteer civil society members of the Czech Government Council for Romani Minority Affairs. Those members said Křeček does not understand the powers of his office, made untruthful statements about the Roma Strategy, and intentionally, systematically undermines the dignity of Romani people with his remarks.
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion: Those left out of distance learning could go to summer school
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion director gives interview about state support during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion praises town for using EU funds to create social housing
- Czech mayor who failed to tackle "white flight" publicly curses nonprofits and Romani people, Agency for Social Inclusion calls for dialogue
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion publishes analysis of segregation in primary schools
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion objects to disinformation published about its proposals for infamous housing estate
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion does not support new investment into infamous housing estate properties
- First Czech real estate agency motivated by social responsibility in the Plzeň Region opens for business
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion criticizes housing benefit-free zones
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion distances itself from group led by candidate for party using racist slogan
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion does not support housing benefit-free zones in Liberec
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion introduces itself to Romani coordinators in South Moravia
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion: 80 % of families who left residential hotels for standard rentals still renting one year later
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights discusses compensation procedure for forced sterilizations in interview for ROMEA TV
- Czech nonprofits welcome abolition of local "housing benefit-free zones", say they made matters worse
- Synodal Council of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren calls on ombudsman to apologize for anti-Romani remarks
- Czech ombudsman attacks ROMEA organization for criticizing racist joke by incoming Chief Public Health Officer
- Romani experts say Czech Government should supply for free the respirators it has made compulsory
- Czech NGO director tells ombudsman he should resign for refusing to acknowledge discrimination against Roma
- Czech organizations insist the lower house and Prime Minister reject the anti-Romani remarks of the ombudsman
- Czech Public Defender of Rights meets Romani community member Štěpán Kavur of the Buči association
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights says Public Defender of Rights is publicly misrepresenting what she said to him
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner tells ROMEA TV ombudsman is wrong to say Roma not involved with Strategy, removal of his deputy from councils makes no sense
- Czech ombudsman claims his deputy was not appointed to Govt councils, Romea.cz has proof that is not true
- Czech ombudsman removes his deputy from Govt councils after she disagrees with his official comments on the Roma Strategy