Czech Govt compensates another woman over illegal sterilization
The Czech Government has settled out of court with a woman who complained to the European Court of Human Rights that she had been illegally sterilized. In addition to compensation of EUR 10 000, the agreement includes the concession that the government was at fault. The League of Human Rights is calling on the Government to face up to the controversial history of illegal sterilizations in the Czech lands and to compensate other such women who cannot sue because of statutes of limitations.
Hundreds of women in the Czech Republic have been sterilized without their informed consent. The cabinet of Czech Prime Minister Jan Fischer officially expressed regret for the sterilizations in 2009.
"We want the current Government to continue in that direction and to compensate all of the women. This past February the Czech Government Human Rights Council recommended creating a compensation mechanism. The Government should approve one as soon as possible so other victims do not have to file suit with the court in Strasbourg," said Kateřina Červená, a lawyer with the League of Human Rights.
- Petr Horváth, founder of the band Gipsy Sendy, has passed away at the age of 45 in Slovakia
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Zeljko Jovanovic: The New Roma Politics of Self-Determination and Unity
- LIVE BROADCAST NOW! EU Anti-Racism Summit
- EU Commission: States have to show improvement for Roma if they expect to draw funding
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights says Public Defender of Rights is publicly misrepresenting what she said to him
- COVID-19 virus mutation means Czech Republic introducing quarantine for arrivals from Britain, flights stop today at noon
- EU Commissioner for Values: EU money is meant to help the Roma too, data collection is important so we aren't flying blind
- Czech Govt to divert billions of crowns from the EU away from social services even as COVID-19 increases demand for debt counseling
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Bulgaria: Scandal over EU-financed training to detect alleged "radicalization" of Roma, activists say money was used to boost anti-Romani sentiment