Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner refuses to resign despite some Human Rights Council members calling for her to do so
The Czech Press Agency has reported that the Czech Government did not take a vote today on whether Czech MP Helena Válková (ANO) should be dismissed from her post as Human Rights Commissioner. The cabinet did discuss the idea, which was raised by First Deputy Prime Minister Jan Hamáček (Czech Social Democratic Party - ČSSD), but after she addressed the cabinet the ministers did not call for a vote on whether she should remain in office.
According to information from those present at the cabinet session, the Human Rights Commissioner has refused to resign and rejected the opportunity to step down of her own accord. Last week she declined to become a candidate for the post of Public Defender of Rights after the media reported that she had co-authored an article at the close of the 1970s together with the infamous communist prosecutor Josef Urválek.
Válková justified refusing the nomination by referencing her previous membership in the Czechoslovak Communist Party. According to her critics, however, she should also resign as Human Rights Commissioner.
Hamáček announced ahead of the cabinet session that he would be submitting a motion to Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš (ANO) to dismiss Válková. However, according to him, ANO would de facto decide on whether she would remain in office because they hold 10 cabinet seats as opposed to the five held by ČSSD.
Válková has been Human Rights Commissioner since May, when she was appointed by the Government. Some members of the Czech Government Human Rights Council have opposed her continuing in office, according to Deník N, and have called on her to resign.
Over the weekend the lawyer Tomáš Němeček called on Válková, who previously served as Czech Justice Minister, to step down. He also announced that if she does not, he will resign from his voluntary post on the council.
- Czech Human Rights Commissioner accused of defending the persecution of dissidents during communism, she calls it a smear campaign
- Some Czech minorities, NGOs consider nomination of Human Rights Commissioner as ombudswoman a good choice
- Czech President nominates current Human Rights Commissioner as candidate for ombudswoman, opposition not enthusiastic
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights is now Monika Šimůnková, a former Human Rights Commissioner
- Czech Senate nominates former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman role
- Czech President and Senate may both nominate former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman
- Former Culture Minister joins Czech Government Human Rights Council
- Czech Constitutional Court: Human rights defender has to count on "frustrated" people sending her death threats
- Czech Human Rights Commissioner nominates former Culture Minister to Human Rights Council for organizing buyout of pig farm on Holocaust site
- Former Czech Justice Minister slated to become Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner
- Analysis: European populists lose their charm to scandals, trials and unpaid debts
- Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner: I support the creation of a Government Commissioner for Romani Minority Affairs
- Tomáš Ščuka: Czech ombudsman's opinions just confirm his incompetence
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says he is against "special treatment" for Romani people
- Best Reality, Stars reality corporation s.r.o., DůmRealit.cz, Broker´s Team, CENTURY 21 Finem caught on tape rejecting Roma tenants in Czech Republic, only CENTURY 21 apologizes
- Commentary: The opponents of racism are racists - current and former Czech Presidents show their anti-democratic colors to the world
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion: Those left out of distance learning could go to summer school
- Bulgaria: Educational assistants on the front line help Romani children during COVID-19 crisis
- Amnesty International criticizes Czech discrimination of Roma, Public Defender of Rights says AI is "biased"
- Human Rights Commissioner of the Council of Europe calls for Romani living conditions to be improved during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
- Czech bill would prevent evictions due to nonpayment of rent during COVID-19 pandemic