Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner says she will criticize politicians who are racist and resign rather than be censored
Speaking in an interview for ROMEA TV, the newly-appointed Czech Government Commissioner for Human Rights, Martina Štěpánková, who answers directly to Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš, the head of the ANO movement, said that "Politicians create the climate in society to a significant degree. For that reason it is very important for many more politicians here to condemn racism and discrimination."
Štěpánková said she had not yet discussed with the PM what his expectations of her are. "My meeting with Prime Minister Babiš is still ahead of us. Previously, however, we have mainly discussed the issue of social exclusion," said the Commissioner, who will also remain the deputy managing the Human Rights Section at the Office of the Government of the Czech Republic.
In the interview the Commissioner also added that she believes the cabinet will prepare a social housing bill in the months to come. She also believes the Czech Republic should have a Commissioner for the Romani Community.
- Czech Government revives position of Human Rights Commissioner
- Former Czech Human Rights Minister says the entire country should campaign against denial of Romani genocide
- Čeněk Růžička receives human rights prize from the US Ambassador to the Czech Republic for his contribution to Romani Holocaust recognition
- Czech Supreme Administrative Court upholds homeless Romani family's appeal of eviction, returns case to Regional Court
- Czech court returns to case of hateful online comments about non-"white" first-graders, but witnesses fail to appear
- Czech Agency for Social Inclusion: Those left out of distance learning could go to summer school
- Bulgaria: Educational assistants on the front line help Romani children during COVID-19 crisis
- Amnesty International criticizes Czech discrimination of Roma, Public Defender of Rights says AI is "biased"
- Human Rights Commissioner of the Council of Europe calls for Romani living conditions to be improved during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech bill would prevent evictions due to nonpayment of rent during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Germany: Extremist group in the AfD party says it is dissolving
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Czech Prosecutor General working with OSCE to prosecute hate speech more effectively
- Vladimír Leško of the Association of Romani Entrepreneurs and Guilds in the Czech Republic: Let's turn welfare recipients into taxpayers