Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner thanks Roma for their aid during COVID-19 and wishes them well on International Romani Day
Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner Helena Válková is expressing her gratitude to all Romani men and women in the country on the occasion of International Romani Day for the aid they have been providing during the COVID-19 pandemic. "The coronavirus crisis has demonstrated that Romani people know how to assist others. Whether it be in Prague, Chanov, or Karlovy Vary, the Roma mobilized their forces and joined the statewide volunteer activity of sewing face masks. Thanks to them, hospitals, senior citizens and others have enough of them," she said.
"I greatly appreciate each of you, especially those who have successfully made it in their professions or other realm of activity and who have thereby become an example and a role model for the rest of your fellow citizens in the Czech Republic," she said. News server Romea.cz publishes her statement in full below. \
Message from Czech Government Human Rights Commissioner Helena Válková for International Romani Day 2020
We are marking International Romani Day this year during a difficult time, in a situation that we are all experiencing for the first time. For that reason, celebrations of this day cannot take place as they have in the past.
Despite this, the pandemic has revealed something to us. It has revealed how little we all know about the minority that belongs to one of the biggest in Europe, and it has revealed that these people are the same as any of us in the majority society, in good times and in bad.
The coronavirus crisis has demonstrated that Romani people know how to assist others. Whether it be in Prague, Chanov, or Karlovy Vary, the Roma mobilized their forces and joined the statewide volunteer activity of sewing face masks.
Thanks to them, hospitals, senior citizens and others have enough of them. Please, let us not all forget about this solidarity once the pandemic is over and life returns to the usual routine.
My dear, esteemed Romani fellow citizens, please allow me to wish you, on the occasion of International Romani Day, good health above all and satisfaction, both in your family lives and in your workplaces. Personally I hope you are able to fulfill your life aims and potential with pride and dignity despite the barriers you must frequently grapple with, which are well known to me.
I greatly appreciate each of you, especially those who have successfully made it in their professions or other realm of activity and who have thereby become an example and a role model for the rest of your fellow citizens in the Czech Republic. I know that for many of you this was not at all easy, that you had to expend a great deal of effort, to believe in your own abilities, demonstrate solidarity, and have the support of your families and friends.
I thank you all for that and for becoming an example for the younger generation of Romani people, who I believe have a good future ahead of them in our country. We will certainly be doing our best to achieve that together, irrespective of how difficult it proves to be.
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Nonprofits are irreplaceable in combating COVID-19
- Czech Government Commissioner for Human Rights files report of crime over media coverage of her past
- Czech lower house refuses to discuss dismissal of Government Human Rights Commissioner
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Council on Roma Minority Affairs differ on whether Human Rights Commissioner should remain in office
- Czech Human Rights Commissioner to stay in office, most civil society members of Human Rights Council support her
- Czech Human Rights Commissioner says President supports her remaining in that position
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner refuses to resign despite some Human Rights Council members calling for her to do so
- Czech Human Rights Commissioner accused of defending the persecution of dissidents during communism, she calls it a smear campaign
- Czech state is failing to coordinate distance learning for thousands of children during COVID-19, nonprofits alone can't fix it
- Romani community in third-largest Czech city donates truckload of vitamins to hospital in gratitude for their work during COVID-19
- Petra Gelbart: Czech media invite the wrong experts to discuss the COVID-19 pandemic
- Romani junior weightlifter wins three gold medals for the Czech Republic in youth championship held online because of COVID-19
- Czech collections agents threatening to confiscate laptops from families whose children need them for distance learning during COVID-19
- Czech protest against COVID-19 response brings together the far-right, those against the PM, those against the opposition, xenophobes - and punks
- Leading Romani activist and co-founder of Dikh TV, the musician Lajos "Paci" Balogh, has succumbed to COVID-19 at the age of 28
- Romani celebrities in Czech Republic with COVID-19 use social media to warn others, but will they be believed?
- Slovak Govt Roma Plenipotentiary says Romani community rates of COVID-19 infection the same as majority-society rates
- Czech and Slovak-language disinformation about COVID-19: Lies about testing, facemasks and Bill Gates
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Slovak fascist politician says he is mixing cough medicine with vodka for his COVID-19, authorities warn that is dangerous