Czech Green Party chair describes hateful verbal assault on Prague public transport
It's happened to me twice now, within a very short amount of time. I get on the tram, take a seat, and suddenly behind me, from the rear platform, someone starts yelling this to the whole tram car: "That's the creep who's inviting Muslims to our country to rape our Czech women, I'm telling everybody here, that's Matěj Stropnický, look at him" (the whole tram turns to look and a couple of people laugh at me) "the shame of our nation! What are you doing, you motherfucker? You wanna take me? Come on, get out, let's go!" (by now the tram is absolutely silent and, what's more, we're in a traffic jam).
The guy looks like a retired sailor, he's wearing jeans and fatigues, and it is 100 % certain that a discussion with him would lead nowhere, so I stay quiet with everyone else and let this exhibition of hatred cool off for lack of interest. He keeps it up for the seven long minutes to it takes to travel from one tram stop to the next.
Fortunately he doesn't ever touch me, but as he gets off the tram he announces that I will be lucky to survive the next time he sees me. He gets out, the doors close behind him, and the first thing that occurs to me is: I will keep taking the tram, no hiding in a car.
I will not get into a fight, but I will also not back down in the face of extremism and stupidity. Then I ask myself: How has it come about, the callousness of this aggressive retired sailor?
This person apparently feels he is speaking for the majority as it has been construed by Czech President Zeman for the last year whenever Zeman says "80 % of people reject" XY or Z, and this person presumes the entire tram is basically approving of his assault. He believes we are the allegedly dangerous naifs, the welcomers of refugees, and ultimately that we are traitors even though we are not inviting anyone anywhere, just refusing to hate someone just because he is, for example, an Arab, just considering it necessary to aid people fleeing war - but this person believes that from the very highest position in this country the recommended guidance is that we should all have Kalashnikovs aimed at us.
That, at least, is what these retired sailors and those like them tell themselves. This is precisely the cost of scoring "political points" by spinning all of this fear and hatred.
When this has occurred before in history, it sometimes has resulted in Kristallnachts - instigated in order to score political points and tolerated once they are underway. Afterwards, politicians like Zeman, [Finance Minister] Babiš or [Interior Minister] Chovanec "ensure order" for all of the "decent citizens" - who then vote for them.
We must face down these politicians now. We won't win against Kalashnikovs.
- Czech Republic: New campaign combats hate online
- Czech academics: Promoters of hate want to trample on the anniversary of 17 November
- Czech Republic: Hateful demonstrations against refugee reception in several cities
- Czech Republic: Activists sentenced for stunt to draw attention to a suicide say police made hateful, racist remarks
- Czech paper unleashes hateful racist discussion online, may have committed crime
- Czech broadcasting board criticizes TV NOVA for promoting anti-hate campaign
- Czech Republic: HateFree Culture project refutes online hoaxes about refugees
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- Human rights and hate violence seminar at Czech Parliament attended by only one MP
- Czech Platform for Human Rights holds seminar on hate violence
- Czech Government project holds contest for a "HateFree Song"
- Analysis: Roma replace Muslims as main target for Czech hate online
- Czech-language hate group tries to pass off picture of Nobel Prize winner as its Facebook administrator
- Czech Republic: HateFree Zones combat rising intolerance
- Analysis of Czech, German and Hungarian trials of terrorist hate attacks
- Amnesty International: Court must consider hate motive behind attack on Romani woman
- Czech authorities alarmingly unwilling to prosecute online hate crimes
- Czech Greens: School Act amendment supports segregation, returns us to the past
- Czech Green Party EP candidate mocks xenophobic campaign by Úsvit
- Former Czech Green Party candidate owns tabloid publishing anti-Roma articles
- Czech Green Party demonstrates for Human Rights Minister
- Czech Green Party chair: Roma school segregation deeply engrained
- Czech Green Party candidate Czeslaw Walek: Romani topics have long been ignored
- Czech Green Party: Roma should be represented in Parliament
- Jarmila Balážová: Czech Green Party bravely runs Romani candidates despite social atmosphere
- Czech Green Party: Romani volunteers helping campaign in the streets
- Czech Green Party candidate says more Roma interest in politics can fuel change
- Czech elections 2013: Green Party gets number 23 for early elections, runs nine Romani candidates
- Czech Green Party chair: All of society must collaborate on building the road out of the ghetto
- Czech Republic: Nine Romani men and women running for or with Green Party in early parliamentary elections
- Czech Green Party: Neo-Nazi DSSS wants to stir up ethnic hatred in Duchcov
- Czech Green Party chair and 200 others demand media correct reporting about Romani party
- Police Academy of the Czech Republic teaches recruits the Green Party is "extremist"
- Germany: 750 neo-Nazis celebrate Hitler's birthday, police confiscate their materials
- Czech President pushing Czech PM into Government with right-wing extremists
- TODAY!!! Romani people to demonstrate against racism on 17 March in Prague's Klárov Park
- Germany: Neo-Nazi terrorists get multiple-year sentences
- Czech terrorist allegedly a fanatical supporter of ultra-right party who has attacked Romani people in the past
- Stano Daniel: A message from Slovakia. First, words fall. Then people.
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide desecrated with pig's head
- Czech Interior Ministry's quarterly report on extremism: Politicians exploited fears of immigration
- Julius Zajac: Ascendancy of extremists and liars may augur a new kind of totalitarianism in the Czech Republic
- Patrik Banga: How can people in the Czech Republic write about reviving the concentration camps?
- Live online press conference 11 AM TODAY: Czech school targeted by racists hosts fundraisers from "THEY WANT TO GAS THEM, WE WANT TO SEND THEM TO SCHOOL!"
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls Czech MP's remarks about Romani genocide site classic Holocaust denial
Tags:Extremism, Násilí z nenávisti, Nenávist, Útok, Xenophobia
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.