Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
The semifinal series of the Czech ice hockey play-off between Bílí Tygři Liberec and Kometa Brno is bringing audiences exciting games, but the series is being spoiled by the disgusting racist insults shouted by fans of Kometa at the Liberec forward Dominik Lakatoš. Over the course of two games they have been shouting "Lakatoš is a f**cking gypsy!" at the player.
The club from Liberec has clearly objected to this behavior and is standing behind their team member. "A play-off is a competition of emotions, there's no doubt about it. It's been like that since time immemorial and that's correct. The Bílí Tygři, of course, cannot overlook the incidents that have happened during the ongoing semifinal series with Kometa Brno. Fans of our competitor attacked Dominik Lakatoš during two shootouts with racist insults and shouted abusive curses at the other players as well. This crosses all the lines of fair play to which this series on the ice otherwise adheres. The Bílí Tygři are, therefore, urging all fans to keep their expressions of support within the lines of decency," the club posted to its website.
Libor Zábranský, the owner and trainer of the Brno hockey team, said he is sharply opposed to fans behaving in such a way and is willing to accept any kind of fine levied against the side. "We absolutely distance ourselves from that, completely and firmly. Nobody from Kometa and none of our players approve of that behavior. We anticipate that this incident will be addressed by the leaders of the competition, led by Pepa Řezníček, such matters must be addressed point-blank, there is no place for them in the stadiums or anywhere else. We will accept any punishment and we will not appeal it," Zábranský told news server iSport.cz.
Some fans are of a different opinion. They are discussing on social media the idea that Lakatoš, who is Romani, can be called a "gypsy" because they do not believe it is a racist insult.
"... they shouted 'gypsy' at Tomáš Sršeň back in the day and nobody minded ... and he wasn't a 'gypsy'.... Lakatoš is one ... so why take offense, what kind of racism is this??" social media user Gabriela Hodová posted.
Jaroslav Šindelář has responded in a column in the daily Lidové noviny to such opinions. "Yes, Lakatoš is actually half-Romani. So what? If the fans are calling him, vulgarly, 'a gypsy', then that is obvious racism. If they were to just yell 'f**cking Lakatoš', that would not change the vulgarity of the situation, but it would not be racism," he wrote.
"Kometa fans should realize that if anybody were to shout 'f**cking whitey', for example, at the biggest star of their own club, Martin Erat, that would also be racism," Šindelář wrote. The close series stands at 2:2 and will continue tomorrow with a fifth game in Liberec.
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion distances itself from group led by candidate for party using racist slogan
- Czech candidate for party that used racist slogan now works for new group aiding Roma
- Romani ice hockey player drafted into the NHL for the New York Rangers
- Romani ice hockey player beats junior league record in Czech playoffs
- Romani hockey player Dominik Lakatoš: My Dad is my biggest hero
- Romani hockey player listed in Czech edition of Forbes "30 under 30"
- Czech Republic: Romani ice hockey player Dominik Lakatoš is rookie of the year
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Italy: Almost 1 000 Roma and Sinti march in Milan on Romani Resistance Day
- Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team
- Pope stands up for Romani people attacked by (neo)Fascists in Rome who threatened rape
- Romania loses at the European Court of Human Rights, must compensate Roma family for police brutality
- Report from Prague's anti-EU demonstration: The little guys on all sides
- Racist band associated with a leader of "Right Sector" in Ukraine to play in Czech Republic today
- PHOTO GALLERY: Demonstration by the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" movement and those counter-protesting it
- Czech Police intervene against those counter-protesting demonstration featuring Le Pen, Salvini, Wilders and a neo-Nazi band
- Czech prosecutor can't see racist subtext in assault on MP where eyewitness heard racial abuse
- Czech Police say most hate crimes last year were against Roma, number of antisemitic attacks declined
- Czech MP taken to hospital after two men physically assault him and racially abuse him