Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
Czech Human Rights Minister Jan Chvojka has expressed support through his Facebook profile for the Lidl chain of stores after a wave of hateful, racist reactions arose online in response to Lidl's use of a black male model to advertise their sports clothing collection. "I have decided to buy some new sports clothes at Lidl Czech Republic. Normally I don't follow flier events, but this time the advertisement rather caught my attention. :-) If I practice, maybe I'll run like Usain Bolt someday," the minister posted to his profile.
The chain has made it very clear to the "haters" writing to them through online social media that their racism has no chance of success. Many other people have posted online in support of the business.
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Romani celebrity faces racist comments, death threats from fans of xenophobic band Ortel
- Emilie Horáčková calls on Czech PM and EU Justice Commissioner to focus on anti-Romani racism
- Patrik Banga: We Roma must not lower ourselves to the racists' level! Racism and threats are what we criticize
- France: Black youth dies in police custody, sparking riot, media wrongly attributes violence to Islamism
- Survey shows Czechs are the least tolerant in EU toward blacks, Buddhists, Muslims, Roma
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- Do the Czech courts believe "black swine" is not a racist insult?
- Czech Prosecutor General insists online hate speech is a felony, Supreme Court agrees
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Czech politicians react to Communist MP's false allegation that honoring the Roma victims of Nazism has raised the price of pork
- Italian Interior Minister Matteo Salvini faces criticism for calling Romani woman a "dirty gypsy"
- French court convicts six arsonists of attack on Romani people
- Czech court says use of force in response to racist abuse was proportionate, prosecutor appeals
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Czech MP says his assistant's remark that refugees could be killed with machine guns does not bother him
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- French lawmaker, victimized herself by online hate, drafts law against it
- USA: Neo-Nazi gets life in prison for the Charlottesville massacre