Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
Czech Human Rights Minister Jan Chvojka has expressed support through his Facebook profile for the Lidl chain of stores after a wave of hateful, racist reactions arose online in response to Lidl's use of a black male model to advertise their sports clothing collection. "I have decided to buy some new sports clothes at Lidl Czech Republic. Normally I don't follow flier events, but this time the advertisement rather caught my attention. :-) If I practice, maybe I'll run like Usain Bolt someday," the minister posted to his profile.
The chain has made it very clear to the "haters" writing to them through online social media that their racism has no chance of success. Many other people have posted online in support of the business.
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Romani celebrity faces racist comments, death threats from fans of xenophobic band Ortel
- Emilie Horáčková calls on Czech PM and EU Justice Commissioner to focus on anti-Romani racism
- Patrik Banga: We Roma must not lower ourselves to the racists' level! Racism and threats are what we criticize
- France: Black youth dies in police custody, sparking riot, media wrongly attributes violence to Islamism
- Survey shows Czechs are the least tolerant in EU toward blacks, Buddhists, Muslims, Roma
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- Do the Czech courts believe "black swine" is not a racist insult?
- US company shuts down neo-Nazi website "White Media" at the request of the Czech authorities
- Ten years after the Czech neo-Nazi arson attack on her Romani family, Natálka still suffers from nightmares and pain
- Czech terrorist gets four years, judge says he was influenced by the public dissemination of extremism
- Czech courts convict two people for racist online hate speech about newborn, three more are under investigation
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify
- Commentary: Four years for terrorism is a mockery - and others should have been tried
- Czech court releases recording of phone call in terrorism case capturing defendant's hate speech
- Czech prosecutor seeks just four years in prison for fanatic who caused train crashes
- Czech students protest co-optation of Czechoslovak historical figure in Italy
- Neo-Nazis from C14 group that assaults Roma march through Ukrainian capital celebrating ultra-nationalist historical figure
- Slovakia: Romani women giving birth allege they are subjected to physical violence, racism in hospitals
- New comedy series on Czech public television to feature crude humor, racist remarks and vulgar language