Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
Czech Human Rights Minister Jan Chvojka has expressed support through his Facebook profile for the Lidl chain of stores after a wave of hateful, racist reactions arose online in response to Lidl's use of a black male model to advertise their sports clothing collection. "I have decided to buy some new sports clothes at Lidl Czech Republic. Normally I don't follow flier events, but this time the advertisement rather caught my attention. :-) If I practice, maybe I'll run like Usain Bolt someday," the minister posted to his profile.
The chain has made it very clear to the "haters" writing to them through online social media that their racism has no chance of success. Many other people have posted online in support of the business.
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Romani celebrity faces racist comments, death threats from fans of xenophobic band Ortel
- Emilie Horáčková calls on Czech PM and EU Justice Commissioner to focus on anti-Romani racism
- Patrik Banga: We Roma must not lower ourselves to the racists' level! Racism and threats are what we criticize
- France: Black youth dies in police custody, sparking riot, media wrongly attributes violence to Islamism
- Survey shows Czechs are the least tolerant in EU toward blacks, Buddhists, Muslims, Roma
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- Czech Interior Ministry report finds far-right party was the "super spreader" of hate last year
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Czech lower house sees tussle over President's claims that "Black Lives Matter" is a "racist" slogan
- Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg: Mr President, you've committed another complete faux pas
- Czech President Zeman marks US Independence Day by calling Black Lives Matter "racist"
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- Czech football hooligans' racism against black player to be addressed by disciplinary commission
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Volkswagen apologizes for racist advertisement, claiming it was "unintentional"
- Daniela Abraham: The antigypsyist violence of my childhood is still happening in Central Europe