Czech Human Rights Minister: We face a crisis fed by fear
"We are facing a crisis fed by fear. In the debate being conducted about the refugee crisis, security measures are being constantly emphasized, but not much is being said about the humanitarian aspects," Czech Human Rights Minister Jiří Dienstbier says.
"That is why I welcomed the 'Scholars against Fear and Indifference' petition, the first significant public activity to warn of the sharp rise in xenophobia in our society," the minister says. While he claims not to underestimate security measures, Dienstbier said he considers a common, pan-European solution to be an essential necessity in addition to consistent controls at the external borders of the Schengen area.
The minister has consulted on a series of debates being launched at universities on the topic of the refugee crisis. The first two debates in the series will be held today, 11 November, during which philosopher Václav Bělohradský and Dienstbier will discuss the issue at universities in Opava and Ostrava.
- Luxembourgian Foreign Minister says EU might fall apart over refugee crisis
- German state of Bavaria prepares to sue federal government over alleged mishandling of the refugee crisis
- Slovenian PM: Refugee crisis could be the beginning of the end of the EU
- SocDems in EP may suspend Slovak ruling party for a second time over refugee crisis
- Juan de Dios Ramírez-Heredia: Hunger and fear are stronger than barbed-wire fences
- Czech poll finds more optimism, but also more fear of immigrants
- Hollywood Reporter says "The Painted Bird", starring a Romani child actor, is among the 20 best films this year
- Czech Prosecutor General insists online hate speech is a felony, Supreme Court agrees
- Austria, Germany on track to employ half of the refugees who arrived during the migration crisis four years ago
- Czech court says use of force in response to racist abuse was proportionate, prosecutor appeals
- Slovak homeowner considers selling to Roma, so his neighbors graffiti his house and puncture his tires
- Czech MP says his assistant's remark that refugees could be killed with machine guns does not bother him
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- Commentary: Truth vs. oligarchy, populism and xenophobia
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Open Letter: Conveners of Holocaust commemoration are too quiet after politician disgraced it
- Czech doctor prioritizes registration of Romani patients and receives hateful threats from non-Roma
- Czech Republic: Romani family harassed by xenophobic neighbors with vulgar abuse and threats