Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
Friday's pre-season hockey match between two Czech teams, Prostějov and Vítkovice, could not be completed because fans of the Prostějov team racially insulted shooter Dominik Lakatoš after he scored a goal for Vítkovice, who then protested the behavior by leaving the ice. The Prostějov ice hockey club is alleging that Lakatoš "provoked" the abuse.
"The game went by the wayside - at 59:03, after a nervous course of play, Dominik Lakatoš sent the puck into the open net of the home side and was rewarded with a shower of racist abuse. The visiting team then left the ice as a sign of protest," the Vítkovice club posted to their website.
"The friendly match between Prostějov and Vítkovice remains unfinished," Vítkovice confirmed. Once Lakatoš scored the goal, a minor scuffle broke out and the audience began to mockingly chant the racist epithet "gypsy, gypsy" ("cikáne, cikáne"),at Lakatoš, who is of Romani origin.
"We are living in the 21st century, and what happened at the end really made us angry, that's why we decided to leave the ice in response to that step. We are one team, one family, and nobody is allowed to dare do any such thing to any member of our family, the decision was immediate and the entire team agreed to it as one man," Vítkovice coach Jakub Peter said when asked about the decision to leave the ice.
The Prostějov club has a different opinion of the disgraceful end to the pre-season match, and the Prostějov trainer even accused the insulted player of having "provoked" the situation. "He was riding around there during the entire match provoking and annoying the players and the fans, who gave it right back to him," the daily Prostějovský deník quoted trainer Vykoukal as alleging.
"They're the ones who should address this internally, because a player is not meant to behave that way. If he's going to do it all match long, then they should tough it out and play to the end," Vykoukal told the daily.
"I believe it discredits them more, not us, that they left the ice," Vykoukal said. His unbelievable commentary corresponds to the reactions of the players for Prostějov, who thanked their fans just a couple of seconds after the racist insults were expressed.
- Czech ice hockey star of Romani origin and NHL draft pick moves to new domestic team
- Czech town refuses to settle out of court with Roma whom they forcibly relocated 13 years ago
- Czech Constitutional Court finds lower instance was wrong not to consider Romani celebrity subjected to online hate an injured party
- Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
- Czech Republic: Permission sought from Prostějov to install stones marking Holocaust victims
- Czech Labor Minister praises container housing in Romani ghetto
- Czech attorney: Justice for online hate has been won in a case of racist assaults against two Romani brothers
- Czech court will soon try yet another person who sent death threats to Romani singer
- Romani singer received thousands of hateful verbal assaults, Czech Police charging two people
- New Czech documentary about neo-Nazi who still lives with his mother at age 40 and hates the world
- Romani ice hockey player drafted into the NHL for the New York Rangers
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from municipality defending its 2006 eviction of Romani residents
- Czech Police charge man who insulted minorities online, he faces up to three years if convicted
- Romani ice hockey player beats junior league record in Czech playoffs
- Czech Human Rights Minister responds to US report by asserting Government is addressing Romani issues
- Czech Police investigating anonymous antisemitic letter in Prostějov
- Czech politician alleges he has resolved the issue of "inadaptable Gypsies", Faktus says the facts show otherwise
- Romani hockey player Dominik Lakatoš: My Dad is my biggest hero
- Romani hockey player listed in Czech edition of Forbes "30 under 30"
- Czech Republic: Romani ice hockey player Dominik Lakatoš is rookie of the year
- Romani evictees seek compensation from town, Czech Supreme Court to review case
- Czech Christian Democrats strip local councilor of party membership over his racist remarks about refugees
- Police across Central and Eastern Europe investigating online death threats against refugees
- Czech paper unleashes hateful racist discussion online, may have committed crime
- Czech Republic: Neo-Nazi recidivist behind "anti-crime" demonstration
- Czech Republic: Local Romani people leave village during demonstration
- Czech Police prepare for ultra-right party to exploit anti-crime march
- European Commission acknowledges racism is structural and beefs up the fight against racial discrimination
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Czech school claims it's "random" that white children are segregated from Romani children in separate first-grade class
- Newest Czech party tries to exploit altercations between Vlax Romani families as part of its election campaign
- Czech commentator expected stronger condemnation by politicians of the racist reactions to the worst arson attack since 1990
- Czech MP who said she "understood" racist death threats against Romani and other non-white children switches parties
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Czech Interior Ministry report finds far-right party was the "super spreader" of hate last year
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Czech lower house sees tussle over President's claims that "Black Lives Matter" is a "racist" slogan
- Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out