Czech Interior Ministry appealing municipal decision on gallows at anti-refugee hate demonstration
The Czech Interior Ministry is appealing a municipal decision finding that those who brought mock-ups of gallows to a demonstration last year did not commit any wrongdoing. Prague City Hall will now be addressing the dispute.
Czech Interior Minister Milan Chovanec explained the ministry's plans on a Czech Television program today, indicating that the dispute could end up at the Supreme Administrative Court. The case concerns a demonstration against migration last year to which a man brought mock-ups of gallows.
According to the recent decision by the Prague 1 Municipal Department, the incident did not constitute a misdemeanor. Police officers did not intervene against the demonstrators, a position considered correct by the Czech Police Presidium and an internal audit.
Chovanec previously said the conclusions of the police audit "legitimize gallows at demonstrations" and that he does not intend to reconcile himself to that fact. "For the time being I have not succeeded and I am appealing to City Hall because I believe this does not belong to the culture of democracy," Chovanec said today.
He asserts that he has analyses available indicating the man's behavior constitutes a felony. A similar administrative dispute has also taken place regarding a case of eggs being thrown at Czech President Miloš Zeman.
The Prague 2 Municipal Department first decided the egg-throwing did not constitute a misdemeanor, but Prague City Hall returned the matter to them for review along with a legal opinion stating that such behavior corresponds to a misdemeanor against civil coexistence. The two persons involved in that incident were ultimately convicted of rioting.
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- COMMENTARY: Trump's bucket of filth
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- German Government Commissioner on Antisemitism: COVID-19 denial now a pretext for Holocaust revisionism
- In the V-4, COVID-19 pandemic exploited for ultra-right hoaxes, calls for authoritarianism