Czech Internet users fall for ultra-right disinformation parody - and instead of laughing, they lash out
The Czech ultra-right, as part of its disinformation campaigns, occasionally tries to be funny. That is the case of their recent parodic call on Facebook for Czechs to "kneel" before Romani people and kiss their feet, including a doctored photo of Romani men supposedly holding a sign asking for that to happen.
It is probably not very surprising that quite a few of the adherents of the ultra-right do not understand that the meme is a parody. The message of this particular hoax on the Czech citizenry reads as follows:
"As you certainly know, in Western countries the trend is for anti-fascists to display their apologies for the behavior of the majority society by kneeling before a discriminated group in the population and kissing their feet. I, in collaboration with other nonprofit organizations, am sending you the following challenge: FIND A ROMANI MAN, KNEEL BEFORE HIM, KISS HIS FEET AND APOLOGIZE TO HIM FOR THE BEHAVIOR OF THE MAJORITY CZECH POPULATION - AND THEN SEND US A PHOTO. An example can be the chair of the Pirates, Mr Bartoš, who has supported Romani people more than once and expressed his respect for and solidarity with Romani people... Let's apologize to the Roma for the years of discrimination, oppression and hatred. We will choose the best photo and have a small surprise for the winner. Let's show that tolerant people can also be found in the Czech Republic. Please send the photos as messages. - Left-wing Pirate activist Markéta"
A social media user named "Martin Velek" responded to this parodic call as follows: "Look at yourself, what you look like, and mainly what you've done with your life. Then make threats, you activist, you look like a 90-year-old lady's genitals, and your ideas apparently do not come from the upper part of your body, but the lower part."
Many reactions of a similarly aggressive nature have been generated by the hoax. More than 2 000 comments have been posted in response and it has been shared more than 1 800 times.
According to news server Manipulátoři.cz, the authors of the post have made use of the particular photograph from an actual demonstration in the past, doctoring the content of the sign the men are holding in order to mislead those who come across the meme. "The page called 'Left-wing activist Markéta' is behind this falsified image and is connected with people around various would-be prank parties. What is actually happening here is that people around the Tricolor movement are attempting to damage the Czech Pirate Party and non-profit organizations," the news server reports.
- Commentary: The opponents of racism are racists - current and former Czech Presidents show their anti-democratic colors to the world
- Czech President Zeman marks US Independence Day by calling Black Lives Matter "racist"
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- Czech local zones to cancel housing benefits create more poverty, the biggest one is Ústí nad Labem
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Miri Fajta, a Romani production company, wins Czech short film competition, could show at Cannes
- Czech housing benefit rules become more strict as of 1 July
- Roma youth build music school to bring people together in the Czech Republic
- Czech court hands down suspended three-year sentence to man who praised the terrorism in Christchurch, prosecutor appeals
- Emil Voráč: In the Czech Republic, nonprofits able to integrate Roma are often blocked from financing
- Czech Police intervene against yet another publisher of antisemitic books
- Czech man prosecuted for expressing support for Norwegian terrorist refuses to testify in court
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Czech racists physically assault Romani activist Jozef Miker while shouting antigypsyist abuse
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic: As long as we never appear in such positions, nothing will change
- Czech court hears defamation case against man who insulted a member of the Govt's Roma Council in the media
- Czech Police charge two men for publishing racist content about mass killing last year, Pirate Party and ROMEA filed reports against them
- Alena Gronzíková: Czech landlords will not rent to Roma even with good references and steady incomes
- Volunteer civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: ombudsman intentionally undermining the dignity of Romani people
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments