Czech Justice Minister will not discipline state prosecutor accused of protecting racists
Nine months ago the online daily Deník Referendum (DR) filed a motion with the Czech Justice Ministry for disciplinary proceedings to begin against Prague 1 District Attorney JUDr. Zdeňka Galková. Czech Justice Minister Robert Pelikán rejected that motion on 7 February.
The minister's response to the complaint was that "no reason to file a disciplinary motion was given." It did not elaborate.
The DR editors filed the motion because they are convinced that Galková "as a State Prosecutor is not following the applicable legal code, in particular, the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms, and is influenced by prejudice in her practice, taking a selective approach to cases by applying different standards according to the ethnicity, political beliefs or religion of those involved." DR documented its accusations by describing seven concrete cases that its reporters have written about in detail.
Those cases include Galková's protection of antisemitic speech made by the Slovak nationalist Marián Magát, her tolerance for the bullying speech by Adam B. Bartoš and Tomio Okamura during a demonstration featuring mockups of a gallows, her allowing the openly racist website white-media.info to be used as a source of evidence, and her inflammatory (and unsubstantiated) criticism of research by Amnesty International (AI) into the discrimination of Romani pupils in the Czech Republic's schools. The minister, however, has expressed himself concretely only about the AI case, according to DR, stating that "the state attorney has been accused of adding her own excessive, inappropriate, personal evaluation of the truthfulness of the report by Amnesty International to what was an otherwise accurate conclusion. That error has been discussed with the District Attorney for Prague 1."
That allegedly "otherwise accurate conclusion" was Galková's assertion that the Czech schools do not commit discrimination against Romani children on the basis of their ethnicity. While the minister's justification of his decision also describes the procedure for assessing the motion, DR has asked the minister to provide more detail on each point of the motion and to more clearly justify its rejection.
- Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
- Czech officials will not prosecute complaints that election advertisement was racist
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Romani celebrity faces racist comments, death threats from fans of xenophobic band Ortel
- Patrik Banga: We Roma must not lower ourselves to the racists' level! Racism and threats are what we criticize
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Czech eyewitness: Local racists insulted my Romani friends, assaulted us, and put them in fear for their lives
- Miroslav Kováč: Longtime racist politician hands out matches during Czech elections
- Czech right-wing extremists arguing over why racist from USA didn't speak at anti-EU demo
- Commentary: Czech "hero" reports the racist news from a children's playground
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Czech football club backed down to racists within its own fan base over documentary screening
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats compete with ultra-right to see who can be more racist and xenophobic
- Czech-language disinformation websites spread pro-Kremlin propaganda, are anti-Romani and racist
- Czech Senate Committee on Social Policy recommends rejection of bill authorizing attachment of welfare benefits over local unpaid fines
- LGBT+ members of Romani communities were part of Prague Pride this year, activists introduced program to aid people experiencing multiple discrimination
- Amnesty International calls on the Czech authorities to immediately, impartially and thoroughly investigate the police intervention after which a Romani man died
- Czech authorities could levy hefty fines against authors of discriminatory classified ads saying Roma need not apply
- More Roma citizens of Romania attempting to cross from Mexico into the USA to seek asylum this year
- Czech NGO director tells ombudsman he should resign for refusing to acknowledge discrimination against Roma
- Alena Gronzíková: Czech landlords will not rent to Roma even with good references and steady incomes
- Romani people in the Czech Republic complain to retailers of security guards stalking them when they shop
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- European Committee of Social Rights: Czech Republic overinstitutionalizes Romani children and children living with disabilities
- Romani college graduate in Czech Republic plans to become an educator himself