Czech Justice Minister will not discipline state prosecutor accused of protecting racists
Nine months ago the online daily Deník Referendum (DR) filed a motion with the Czech Justice Ministry for disciplinary proceedings to begin against Prague 1 District Attorney JUDr. Zdeňka Galková. Czech Justice Minister Robert Pelikán rejected that motion on 7 February.
The minister's response to the complaint was that "no reason to file a disciplinary motion was given." It did not elaborate.
The DR editors filed the motion because they are convinced that Galková "as a State Prosecutor is not following the applicable legal code, in particular, the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms, and is influenced by prejudice in her practice, taking a selective approach to cases by applying different standards according to the ethnicity, political beliefs or religion of those involved." DR documented its accusations by describing seven concrete cases that its reporters have written about in detail.
Those cases include Galková's protection of antisemitic speech made by the Slovak nationalist Marián Magát, her tolerance for the bullying speech by Adam B. Bartoš and Tomio Okamura during a demonstration featuring mockups of a gallows, her allowing the openly racist website white-media.info to be used as a source of evidence, and her inflammatory (and unsubstantiated) criticism of research by Amnesty International (AI) into the discrimination of Romani pupils in the Czech Republic's schools. The minister, however, has expressed himself concretely only about the AI case, according to DR, stating that "the state attorney has been accused of adding her own excessive, inappropriate, personal evaluation of the truthfulness of the report by Amnesty International to what was an otherwise accurate conclusion. That error has been discussed with the District Attorney for Prague 1."
That allegedly "otherwise accurate conclusion" was Galková's assertion that the Czech schools do not commit discrimination against Romani children on the basis of their ethnicity. While the minister's justification of his decision also describes the procedure for assessing the motion, DR has asked the minister to provide more detail on each point of the motion and to more clearly justify its rejection.
- Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
- Czech officials will not prosecute complaints that election advertisement was racist
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Romani celebrity faces racist comments, death threats from fans of xenophobic band Ortel
- Patrik Banga: We Roma must not lower ourselves to the racists' level! Racism and threats are what we criticize
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Czech eyewitness: Local racists insulted my Romani friends, assaulted us, and put them in fear for their lives
- Miroslav Kováč: Longtime racist politician hands out matches during Czech elections
- Czech right-wing extremists arguing over why racist from USA didn't speak at anti-EU demo
- Commentary: Czech "hero" reports the racist news from a children's playground
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Czech football club backed down to racists within its own fan base over documentary screening
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats compete with ultra-right to see who can be more racist and xenophobic
- Czech-language disinformation websites spread pro-Kremlin propaganda, are anti-Romani and racist
- Czech Justice Minister leaving politics because most of his fellow ANO members hold different opinions about human rights
- Czech Labor Inspection discovers highest numbers of discriminatory want ads in four years
- Czech Foreign Ministry flies Romani flag, outgoing Foreign Minister and Justice Minister meet with Roma
- Romani rappers P. A. T. and Rytmus in new video: Czechs and Slovaks are "drunk on hatred"
- Czech Justice Minister visits Moravian-Silesian Region's excluded localities, housing is the most essential issue
- Italian police forcibly evict yet another Roma camp
- Czech Justice Minister: State has no solution for social exclusion, Romani children not on an equal footing with others
- Czech Justice Minister now in charge of human rights agenda, but will he join the next Government?
- Czech Gov't Roma Council demands apology, Czech Justice Minister disturbed by MP's remarks about Romani genocide site
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls for creation of a European Foundation for the Memory of the Roma Holocaust
- Czech Government approves bankruptcy amendment bill adjusting conditions for debt relief
- Slovak anti-Romani law protested by Amnesty International, Justice Minister and Plenipotentiary for Roma Affairs
Tags:Amnesty International, Diskriminace, Robert Pelikán, Romské děti
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.