Czech Justice Minister will not discipline state prosecutor accused of protecting racists
Nine months ago the online daily Deník Referendum (DR) filed a motion with the Czech Justice Ministry for disciplinary proceedings to begin against Prague 1 District Attorney JUDr. Zdeňka Galková. Czech Justice Minister Robert Pelikán rejected that motion on 7 February.
The minister's response to the complaint was that "no reason to file a disciplinary motion was given." It did not elaborate.
The DR editors filed the motion because they are convinced that Galková "as a State Prosecutor is not following the applicable legal code, in particular, the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms, and is influenced by prejudice in her practice, taking a selective approach to cases by applying different standards according to the ethnicity, political beliefs or religion of those involved." DR documented its accusations by describing seven concrete cases that its reporters have written about in detail.
Those cases include Galková's protection of antisemitic speech made by the Slovak nationalist Marián Magát, her tolerance for the bullying speech by Adam B. Bartoš and Tomio Okamura during a demonstration featuring mockups of a gallows, her allowing the openly racist website white-media.info to be used as a source of evidence, and her inflammatory (and unsubstantiated) criticism of research by Amnesty International (AI) into the discrimination of Romani pupils in the Czech Republic's schools. The minister, however, has expressed himself concretely only about the AI case, according to DR, stating that "the state attorney has been accused of adding her own excessive, inappropriate, personal evaluation of the truthfulness of the report by Amnesty International to what was an otherwise accurate conclusion. That error has been discussed with the District Attorney for Prague 1."
That allegedly "otherwise accurate conclusion" was Galková's assertion that the Czech schools do not commit discrimination against Romani children on the basis of their ethnicity. While the minister's justification of his decision also describes the procedure for assessing the motion, DR has asked the minister to provide more detail on each point of the motion and to more clearly justify its rejection.
- Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
- Czech officials will not prosecute complaints that election advertisement was racist
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Romani celebrity faces racist comments, death threats from fans of xenophobic band Ortel
- Patrik Banga: We Roma must not lower ourselves to the racists' level! Racism and threats are what we criticize
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Czech eyewitness: Local racists insulted my Romani friends, assaulted us, and put them in fear for their lives
- Miroslav Kováč: Longtime racist politician hands out matches during Czech elections
- Czech right-wing extremists arguing over why racist from USA didn't speak at anti-EU demo
- Commentary: Czech "hero" reports the racist news from a children's playground
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Czech football club backed down to racists within its own fan base over documentary screening
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats compete with ultra-right to see who can be more racist and xenophobic
- Czech-language disinformation websites spread pro-Kremlin propaganda, are anti-Romani and racist
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service
- First Czech real estate agency motivated by social responsibility in the Plzeň Region opens for business
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- Czech restaurant says reservations, not racism, were why a Romani group was not seated despite empty tables
- Stano Daniel: Czecho-Slovak perspectives on elections to the European Parliament
- Czech doctor prioritizes registration of Romani patients and receives hateful threats from non-Roma
- Pope stands up for Romani people attacked by (neo)Fascists in Rome who threatened rape
- Elena Gorolová, who campaigns for compensation for forced sterilization, featured on Czech talk show
- Amnesty International: No justice one year after attack on a Romani camp in Ukraine
- Czech Trade Inspection Authority found 13 cases of consumer discrimination last year - "No Roma, no young children..."
- Young teacher describes how antigypsyism is alive and well in Czech primary education
- Czech research finds excluded residents, including Roma, fall victim to crime more than others