Czech Justice Minister will not discipline state prosecutor accused of protecting racists
Nine months ago the online daily Deník Referendum (DR) filed a motion with the Czech Justice Ministry for disciplinary proceedings to begin against Prague 1 District Attorney JUDr. Zdeňka Galková. Czech Justice Minister Robert Pelikán rejected that motion on 7 February.
The minister's response to the complaint was that "no reason to file a disciplinary motion was given." It did not elaborate.
The DR editors filed the motion because they are convinced that Galková "as a State Prosecutor is not following the applicable legal code, in particular, the Charter of Fundamental Rights and Freedoms, and is influenced by prejudice in her practice, taking a selective approach to cases by applying different standards according to the ethnicity, political beliefs or religion of those involved." DR documented its accusations by describing seven concrete cases that its reporters have written about in detail.
Those cases include Galková's protection of antisemitic speech made by the Slovak nationalist Marián Magát, her tolerance for the bullying speech by Adam B. Bartoš and Tomio Okamura during a demonstration featuring mockups of a gallows, her allowing the openly racist website white-media.info to be used as a source of evidence, and her inflammatory (and unsubstantiated) criticism of research by Amnesty International (AI) into the discrimination of Romani pupils in the Czech Republic's schools. The minister, however, has expressed himself concretely only about the AI case, according to DR, stating that "the state attorney has been accused of adding her own excessive, inappropriate, personal evaluation of the truthfulness of the report by Amnesty International to what was an otherwise accurate conclusion. That error has been discussed with the District Attorney for Prague 1."
That allegedly "otherwise accurate conclusion" was Galková's assertion that the Czech schools do not commit discrimination against Romani children on the basis of their ethnicity. While the minister's justification of his decision also describes the procedure for assessing the motion, DR has asked the minister to provide more detail on each point of the motion and to more clearly justify its rejection.
- Model is shocked by Czech racists' response to him, incident now an international embarrassment
- Czech officials will not prosecute complaints that election advertisement was racist
- Czech Human Rights Minister says he will shop at Lidl after racists criticize its use of a black model
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Romani celebrity faces racist comments, death threats from fans of xenophobic band Ortel
- Patrik Banga: We Roma must not lower ourselves to the racists' level! Racism and threats are what we criticize
- Eyewitness says assailants shouting racist abuse and beating Romani man before he died were in full view of Czech Police
- Czech eyewitness: Local racists insulted my Romani friends, assaulted us, and put them in fear for their lives
- Miroslav Kováč: Longtime racist politician hands out matches during Czech elections
- Czech right-wing extremists arguing over why racist from USA didn't speak at anti-EU demo
- Commentary: Czech "hero" reports the racist news from a children's playground
- Prague Pride changes website after recommending supporters vote for racist candidates
- Czech football club backed down to racists within its own fan base over documentary screening
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats compete with ultra-right to see who can be more racist and xenophobic
- Czech-language disinformation websites spread pro-Kremlin propaganda, are anti-Romani and racist
- Romani college graduate in Czech Republic plans to become an educator himself
- More than 60 % of Czechs active online believe Romani people are favored over non-Roma in the Czech Republic
- Czech primary school materials feature a total of 71 sentences about Roma - and they promote stereotypes
- Czech school claims it's "random" that white children are segregated from Romani children in separate first-grade class
- Best Reality, Stars reality corporation s.r.o., DůmRealit.cz, Broker´s Team, CENTURY 21 Finem caught on tape rejecting Roma tenants in Czech Republic, only CENTURY 21 apologizes
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Czech nursery school underpays Romani janitor for years, refuses to compensate her, she is suing
- Slovak Education Ministry establishes expert team focused on solving problems with the education of members of national minorities
- Czech MEPs welcome European Commission lawsuit against Austria over different allowances for non-expatriate children of EU workers
- Celebrity rejected by Czech real estate agency because of Romani surname: "It was a shock"
- Romani woman with Harvard PhD calls Czech racist landlord over his antigypsyist advertisement
- Amnesty International criticizes closures of Romani settlements in Bulgaria and Slovakia as part of COVID-19 response