Czech lower house to hold extraordinary session on proposal to dismiss vice-chair for doubting Holocaust of Roma
Czech MPs will convene on Wednesday for an extraordinary session on a proposal to dismiss Czech MP Tomio Okamura ("Freedom and Direct Democracy" - SPD) from his post as vice-chair of the Chamber of Deputies. Czech MP Jan Bartošek, head of the Christian Democratic faction in the lower house, announced the news at a press conference on Friday.
Bartošek has collected the signatures necessary to filing a request for an extraordinary session and the chair of the Chamber of Deputies has accepted it. The issue of whether to dismiss Okamura is meant to be a response to remarks made by members of his SPD movement about the WWII-era concentration camp in Lety.
"It is not possible to pass over in silence the remarks about the concentration camp at Lety, such as those alleging that it was a 'non-existent pseudo-concentration
camp', it is impossible to pass over in silence the assertion that the camp at Lety had no fence," Bartošek said, recalling the claims made by the SPD members about
the camp where several hundred people died. "It is important that MPs have an opportunity to answer the question of whether they want a person who represents a party with such opinions to represent the Czech Republic in a high constitutional office."
Bartošek has collected more than the 40 signatures necessary from his colleagues to request the convening of an extraordinary session. "The chair of the Chamber of Deputies accepted [the request] and decided to convene it for this Wednesday at 14:30," he said.
If the lower house does not approve the agenda for the extraordinary session, however, it may not go ahead, but room would be created for debate of the issue, albeit a limited debate. Bartošek admitted to the press that the risk does exist that the agenda for the session could not be approved.
"I initiated this extraordinary session precisely so that it will not be possible to pass by those remarks in silence," he said. "If the program is approved, then it will be voted on, but either way it is absolutely essential that this point be discussed on the floor of the lower house."
- Štefan Horvát: Okamura should not lead the lower house, Communists have harmed and are harming Roma, Czech Justice Minister should stay
- Czech lower house refuses vote about denier of Romani genocide as vice-chair, Christian Democrats call for extraordinary session
- Czech Social Democratic head recommends removal of lower house vice-chair because of his deceptive remarks about Romani genocide site
- Vice-chair of Czech lower house refuses to discuss Romani genocide with relative of victims live online
- Tomáš Ščuka: We may disagree with him, but Romani candidate for extremist party is entitled to his opinions
- Czech Government releases funds to demolish pig farm on Romani genocide site, archaeological survey will happen
- Czech tabloid will not be inviting ultra-right party representatives to its online debates
- Czech Museum of Romani Culture still waiting for funds for demolition of pig farm on genocide site
- Czech Interior Minister says MP is lying about foreign nationals voting
- Czech Public Defender of Rights calls for social housing law, says media should stop blaming Roma
- Czech ultraconservative alleges that members of minorities defend their rights at the expense of "heterosexual men who are white"
- Czech institutions designing memorial about the genocide of the Roma are inspired by Norwegian remembrance sites
- Czech President's staff criticize inclusion of "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party in extremism report
- Nationalists desecrate Czech memorial to genocide of the Roma
- Czech Govt has yet to release report stating that the SPD party poses more of a threat than extremists do
- Public discussion reviews Czech and Slovak policies and practices of commemorating the Holocaust and its Romani victims
Tags:Lety u Písku, odvolání, Sněmovna, Tomio Okamura
videoRacists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz11.9.2018 7:54
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.