Czech lower house votes for new ombudsman, runoff to be held later today
Today the Czech lower house decided, in the first round of secret voting to choose the country's next ombudsman, that Stanislav Křeček, a former Deputy Public Defender of Rights, and Vít Alexander Schorm, the Czech Government's legal representative before the European Court of Human Rights, will proceed to the next round of voting after Křeček won 66 votes and Schorm won 40. A third candidate, the attorney Jan Matys, was chosen by 20 lawmakers.
The vote was attended by 179 members of the lower house and 90 votes were needed for a winner; the runoff will take place at 18:00 today. Křeček was nominated by the Czech President, while Matys and Schorm were nominated by the Czech Senate.
During floor debate ahead of the vote, the Chamber of Deputies was agitated by a statement from Czech MP Jaroslav Foldyna (Czech Social Democratic Party - ČSSD) to the effect that the director of the NGO People in Need (Člověk v tísni), Šimon Pánek, had sent threatening text messages to some of the party chairs. Foldyna alleged that the NGO director told the party chairs that if they elect Křeček, they will have "problems".
Moreover, Foldyna described Pánek's organization as "allegedly aiding people". Several party chairs - Markéta Adamová Pekárková (TOP 09), Petr Fiala (Civic Democratic Party - ODS), Vít Rakušan (Mayors - Starostové), Ivan Bartoš (Pirates - Piráti) and Marian Jurečka (Christian Democrats - KDU-ČSL) - immediately reacted to say they had received no such message.
ČSSD then distanced itself from Foldyna's remarks about People in Need. ČSSD vice-chair Ondřej Veselý said Foldyna had been expressing his personal opinion, not that of the party.
"ČSSD is fully aware of what kind of work People in Need performs in the Czech Republic and in the world," he said. The six-year mandate of the current Public Defender of Rights, Anna Šabatová, will end on 18 February.
- Outgoing Czech ombudswoman assessed her seven years in office before the lower house today
- Romani politician Cyril Koky: Stanislav Křeček as Czech ombudsman would be absurd and ridiculous
- Outgoing Czech Public Defender of Rights says her former deputy is not a good choice to succeed her
- Czech Social Democratic Party has new candidate for President to nominate as ombudswoman after his first choice declines due to pressure over her past
- Some Czech minorities, NGOs consider nomination of Human Rights Commissioner as ombudswoman a good choice
- Czech President nominates current Human Rights Commissioner as candidate for ombudswoman, opposition not enthusiastic
- Czech ombudswoman: Haters online frequently refuse to admit to themselves that they could be breaking the law
- Czech Senate nominates former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman role
- Czech President and Senate may both nominate former Human Rights Commissioner for Deputy Ombudswoman
- Czech ombudswoman supports fundraising campaign for school whose first-graders were racially abused online
- Czech Deputy Ombudsman: We cannot treat people as individuals
- Czech MP Okamura (SPD) to lose lower house vice-chair post because of his hatemongering, according to Civic Democratic Party member
- Czech lower house elections see 22 groups in the running, no Romani-profiled parties among them
- Czech Pirates sharply criticize bill to toughen criteria for aid to those in material distress
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights will investigate controversial police intervention after which Romani community member Stanislav Tomáš died
- Commentary: Czech right-wing populists close to destroying lifesaving social protections
- Commentary: Czech amendment to tighten welfare restrictions is just more salt in the wound
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Romani film festival in Berlin gives special recognition to film about removing pig farm from WWII-era concentration camp site in Czech Republic
- Miss Czech Republic, who is Romani, wins title of "Miss Elegance" and is now in the top 15 of the Miss Globe 2020 beauty competition
- Czech Justice Minister and lawmakers clash over proposed changes to collections proceedings
- Forbes.cz: Romani celebrity Monika Bagárová is the third most influential person on Czech Instagram