Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
Monday, 22 March will mark exactly one year since the death of the first person in the Czech Republic from COVID-19. A 95-year-old man in the Bulovka hospital in Prague was the first to succumb to the disease here.
On the occasion of that sad anniversary, the church bells of all the religious organizations involved in the "Minute of Silence" initiative will ring on Monday, 22 March at noon. According to the event's organizers, it has been organized in response to the fact that the Czech public debate about the pandemic has primarily been conceived of as an organizational or technical discussion.
"The human dimension of the spread of this disease and its destructive influence on our society has been quite forgotten. The grief and the death have, therefore, just remained statistics; it is as if we have forgotten that death on this scale impacts the state of our society as a whole and its ability to cope with the current situation," the initiators of the event say in their announcement.
The event is the initiative of the human rights activist Jana Hradílková, the environmental activist and journalist who has been reporting on the pandemic Jan Kašpárek, and former communist-era dissident and political prisoner Petr Pospíchal. "Every seven minutes and five seconds one of us dies of coronavirus. The data from recent days, during which the number of deaths rose, are actually that tragic. More deaths will show up in the statistics on excess deaths that will be calculated with a delay of several weeks," Pospíchal says on the website of the initiative.
Many media outlets have promised to support the "Minute of Silence" by reporting on it - Czech Radio, most private radio stations, large news servers, and several leading media outlets through their Facebook profiles. News server Romea.cz will be joining the reporting.
As of 19 March, more than 24 000 people have died in the Czech Republic alone during the COVID-19 pandemic. More than 2 700 000 people worldwide have died during the pandemic during the course of more than a year.
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism
- Romani youth including actor from "The Painted Bird" want to fundraise for Czech hospital treating serious COVID-19 cases
- Another Romani musician in a Czech hospital sends social media message to COVID-19 deniers: This is real and the hospitals are running out of room
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Czech doctor explains how the COVID-19 vaccines were developed so quickly for ROMEA TV
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- German counter-intelligence says right-wing extremist numbers growing as people radicalize in response to COVID-19
- Czech regions combat COVID-19 disinformation in socially excluded localities as hospitalizations soar
- Czech NGO starts campaign to support education of Romani children and non-Roma who are socially disadvantaged
- Greece: Romani girl caught in sliding doors dies due to shocking indifference of bystanders, her family sees it as racism
- Czech Police charge dozens of online haters for attacking medical workers as Facebook blocks French and Italian accounts campaigning against vaccination with violence
- Patrik Banga: Who will be to blame for the Romani victims of COVID-19 in the Czech Republic?
- Controversial Romani figure appears with Czech extremists opposing measures to control the pandemic