Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
Mobile immunization teams have been vaccinating residents of more socially excluded localities in the Moravian-Silesian Region of the Czech Republic. Immunizations without preregistration were scheduled for the Kunčičky and Radvanice neighborhoods of Ostrava, a community center in Frýdek-Místek, Havířov's Šumbark quarter and Karviná.
Nikola Birklenová, spokesperson for the Moravian-Silesian Regional Authority, informed the Czech News Agency of the plans on 30 August. The tour was planned in collaboration with organizations active in the socially excluded localities.
"In order to increase the immunization rates in our region, we have decided to offer vaccines to people from these so-called socially excluded localities. Many people with lower levels of education and incomes live in those locations who do not have the opportunity to electronically register and who, moreover, have a tendency not to trust institutions and authorities," Governor Ivo Vondrák (ANO) told the wire service.
The Governor added that the residents of such places are more accommodating of social services staffers who have long been in contact with them and who aid them with resolving various difficulties. "For that reason, representatives of exactly such organizations working in those localities assisted us with organizing this immunization," he said.
The Regional Authority was helped by Caritas Ostrava-Opava, the Portavita association, the Centrom association, the "Life Together" (Vzájemné soužití) association, the Dživipen organization, and the Romani advisor and field social worker from the Frýdek-Místek municipal authority. "Thanks to our collaboration with people from the field, we know that the most appropriate time for immunizations in these areas is the late afternoon. It has also been demonstrated that many people do not have personal identification, so we ultimately decided to vaccinate people without submission of an identity card, it will be enough if they know their full social security number. Another important circumstance is a certain distrust that comes from the disinformation circulating in these communities about immunizations. For that reason, the paramedics from the mobile team are prepared to explain everything to people and answer all of their questions," the Governor said.
A total of almost 1.2 million doses of the vaccine have already been delivered by paramedics in the Moravian-Silesian Region. Almost 560 000 people there have already been fully vaccinated.
During the final week of August, 81 people received positive COVID-19 results in the Moravian-Silesian Region. That number was 14 more than had tested positive during the previous week.
That information comes from the Smart Quarantine program and was released by the Governor. It means six people per 100 000 in the region were newly infected during the last week of August.
Since the beginning of the pandemic there have been 180 004 infections recorded in the region, which is roughly 15 % of its population. As of 30 August there were eight people hospitalized for COVID-19 throughout the region compared to four the week before.
A total of 3 537 people have died of COVID-19 in the region so far. Roughly 176 000 people there have survived being infected.
The statistics in the Smart Quarantine program list infected persons according to their permanent residence. Infected persons in the region who have their permanent residence in a different region are also listed in the Smart Quarantine statistics for the region where they were tested.
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities
- Czech social media influencers join national campaign promoting vaccinations against COVID-19
- ROMEA TV program discusses current COVID-19 disinformation and hoaxes on the Czech Internet
- Czech public health officials asking whether those testing positive for COVID-19 are Czech or Romani - but questions about nationality not being asked systematically
- "Your father is in the COVID-19 wing". A true story.
- EU Fundamental Rights Agency and OSCE say governments must deliver aid to Roma affected by COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech "Minute of Silence" will honor COVID-19 victims on Monday at noon - every 7 minutes, 5 seconds another person is dying of the virus here
- Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism
- Romani youth including actor from "The Painted Bird" want to fundraise for Czech hospital treating serious COVID-19 cases
- Another Romani musician in a Czech hospital sends social media message to COVID-19 deniers: This is real and the hospitals are running out of room
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Czech doctor explains how the COVID-19 vaccines were developed so quickly for ROMEA TV
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Czech project focuses on health in socially excluded localities, Romani men live an average of 57 years and Romani women, 65
- Czech intelligence report on extremism mentions welfare chauvinist party as a populist, xenophobic entity once more, COVID-19 was the main focus of 2021
- From opposition, ex-PM revisits Czech town, echoing the problematic language of a local petition
- More than 3 000 people assembled to celebrate World Roma Day in Ostrava, Czech Republic - footage of performances here
- Romani refugees segregated in a Czech center and discriminated against, Regional Governor accuses them of theft, police say no such crimes have been reported
- David Beňák moves from the Czech Agency for Social Inclusion to direct the Department of Social Integration at the Labor Ministry
- Czech disinformation scene sharing pro-Kremlin lies and propaganda, including from opposition and extremist politicians
- Czech region to reinstate Romani caretakers in socially excluded localities
- HOAX: Footage from Austrian television is not related to COVID-19, but shows climate activists demonstrating in Vienna
- Czech football club opens training camp for excluded children, says it has always relied on Romani players
- Commentary: I'd like a Czech ombudsman who solves problems instead of adding fuel to the fire
- Marián Dancso, educator, municipal council member and Romani community member, says Czech ombudsman should resign