Czech MP compares French President Macron to Hitler at commemoration of the Nazi occupation, Czech Defense Ministry distances itself
The Czech Defense Ministry has distanced itself from a commemoration held on Tuesday by the Czech Freedom Fighters' Union (Český svazu bojovníků za svobodu - ČSBS) marking the 80th anniversary of the Nazi occupation of Czechoslovakia, during which French President Emmanuel Macron's plan for EU reform was compared to the antisemitic book Mein Kampf by the Nazi leader Adolf Hitler. In adding to featuring Czech MP Václav Klaus, Jr. (Civic Democratic Party-ODS), who made the remark, representatives of the ČSBS, the Communist Party of Bohemia and Moravia (KSČM) and the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" movement (SPD) also made appearances at the event.
Czech Senator Pavel Fischer said the event constituted an abuse of a military commemoration and asked Czech Defense Minister Lubomír Metnar (for ANO) not to repeat similar events. "I unequivocally distance myself from what was said in some of the speeches. On a day when the highest constitutional officials, the ministry and the Army are also commemorating the anniversary of our joining NATO, such statements are unacceptable," Metnar responded in a press release.
The Defense Ministry went on to say that it was not involved with the event in any way and had merely acceded to the ČSBS request to borrow their hall and Honor Guard for a commemoration of the anniversary of the Nazi occupation. "Because the ČSBS is not just [its chair] Jaroslav Vodička, but is thousands of resistance fighters and veterans whom we appreciate, we are considering what our next steps will be, among which could be our eventually ending our collaboration with this union," Defense Ministry spokesperson Jan Pejšek said.
The commemorative event featured speeches by ČSBS chair Vodička; KSČM chair Vojtěch Filip; Ivan David, the lead candidate of the SPD in the European Parliamentary elections; and Senator Jaroslav Doubrava (North Bohemians - Severočeši), who in the past has made racist remarks about Romani people. The ČSBS originally wanted to hold the event at the Old Town Hall in Prague, but Prague City Hall refused to provide them with space there.
Fischer condemned the fact that the event was held at the House of the Army. "On the anniversary of the [Nazi] occupation the only people from Parliament present at the House of the Army were those who have distinguished themselves by making crude remarks about Jewish people, as well as those who have supported the occupation of Ukraine," he tweeted.
The Senator called on Metnar to prevent such events in the future. "As chair of the Committee for Defense and Security, I ask the Defense Minister to explain what measures he has adopted to make sure political agitprop abusing the armed forces and the historical anniversaries of our country cannot happen again," he said.
The event was also criticized by the author and publisher Jiří Padevět, whose works investigate the history of the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia. "The event was meant to be a commemoration of the beginning of the Nazi occupation, but in my opinion it was rather a display of the worst the current public sphere has to offer. I do not understand how it is possible that the Honor Guard of the Army of the Czech Republic was present during a speech by Mr Václav Klaus, Jr., in which he compared French President Macron to Adolf Hitler," he wrote in an open letter to Metnar and the Chief of the General Staff, Aleš Opata.
Padevět also criticized Doubrava's participation and reminded officials that the Senator has supported the internationally unrecognized territory in the east of Ukraine that is now under the command of pro-Russian separatists. The author was also bothered by the involvement of the ČSBS, which collaborates with the Alliance of National Forces (Aliance národních sil) and the Club of the Czech Borderland (Klub českého pohraničí).
According to Padevět, both of those groups adore the current regime in Russia. The Czech Senate has recommended its members limit their participation in events organized by the ČSBS.
According to a resolution adopted in February by the upper chamber, the ČSBS is abandoning its original values and inclining toward those of the previous communist regime. Some local authorities, in response to repeated controversies associated with the ČSBS, announced they no longer want to subsidize it.
- France demonstrates against antisemitism after vandal destroys dozens of Jewish gravesites
- Czech university sponsors art project referencing opponent of Hitler in town known for its intolerance
- Center-right MP tells the "Freedom and Direct Democracy" party they are "Czech Nazis"
- Facebook closes some disinformation pages covertly associated with Russia
- US company shuts down neo-Nazi website "White Media" at the request of the Czech authorities
- Neo-Nazis from C14 group that assaults Roma march through Ukrainian capital celebrating ultra-nationalist historical figure
- Hundreds of convicted German neo-Nazis evading custody, some may be in the Czech Republic
- Controversial Czech housing estate in the hands of foreign nationals: Russians big fans of trafficking in poverty there
- Sweden: Three neo-Nazis charged with committing bomb attacks after training in Russia
- Czech Republic: ROMEA calls for boycott of performances by Romani group and Russian military ensemble, rejects Russian propaganda
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner: Government should collaborate more with experts and offer refugee families in tents dignified aid
- Tent city in Czech capital has not solved the situation of the Romani refugees from Ukraine, hundreds at main station, few with Hungarian passports
- Czech civic organization Konexe celebrates 10th anniversary and Roma Resistance Day in Prague with discussion about Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Jarmila Balážová: Condemnation of refugee Romani children and their mothers from Ukraine is unfair when their brothers, fathers and sons are fighting back at home!
- Czech Interior Minister: Temporary shelter will be built so refugees do not have sleep in the hallways of the main train station in Prague
- Czech region puts 40 Romani refugees from Ukraine in tents near Pardubice, abandons others in the city center, local Roma had to aid them
- Volunteer aiding refugees from Ukraine in Czech Republic: Institutionalized racism definitively condemns Romani people to a hopeless fate
- Czech Interior Ministry plan to house Romani refugees from Ukraine scuppered by Regional Governors, four bids sought from private sector instead
- Poland: Refugees from Ukraine join March of the Living event at the memorial for the former Nazi death factory at Auschwitz
- Czech detention facility housing 130+ refugees from Ukraine, half of them are Romani