Czech MP moving into impoverished Romani neighborhood in northern Bohemia
Czech MP Eva Fialová (ANO) will be moving into the Předlice neighborhood in the Czech city of Ústí nad Labem for half a year beginning in June. She wants to get to know the life of local Romani people there and to take advantage of that experience to combat poverty.
"After several years in politics, I have come to understand that many politicians are out of touch with what life is really like in our country. They do not understand how things really are and they don't know what to do about them. They just visit our areas, give a speech, take a look at a couple of buildings and leave. That's not enough for us, so I will be personally undertaking this," she posted to her Facebook profile.
The legislator wants to focus especially on aiding people with finding dignified housing, the education of children, and loan-sharking. "Generally speaking, it's good for a mainstream politician to decide to get to know the lives of Romani people more closely. Residing in Předlice will certainly be a very intense experience, it's an extreme locality," Miroslav Brož of the Konexe organization told news server Romea.cz.
"This is purely my private activity. I am no longer interested in hearing the constant racist remarks, whether from politicians themselves or people from Prague who absolutely do not know what conditions here are like and who decide about social affairs from behind a desk," the MP told news server deník.cz.
"She won't have to fear for her life here and nobody will steal her car either. If she works mainly with the long-settled residents, then the effect will be useful," the former vice-mayor of the central district in Ústí nad Labem, Karel Karika (PRO! Ústí), told news server deník.cz.
"People here are not accustomed to anybody else taking an interest in them," Karika added. Petr Globočník (Zelení - Greens), a local assembly member in Litvínov, another town in northern Bohemia's Ústecký Region, is also planning to move into the socially excluded Janov housing estate there in order to fulfill an election promise, according to deník.cz.
- Impoverished Roma are subjected to blackmail and slave wages, Czech mayor blames their poor negotiation skills
- Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma
- Czech region where evictions are underway keeps rejecting plans to subsidize lunches for impoverished schoolchildren
- Impoverished native Italians rebel against Moroccan immigrants inhabiting social housing
- Most Czech regions uninterested in subsidizing lunches for impoverished children, some because they would be Romani
- Residential hotel tenants petition Czech PM over discrimination against the impoverished
- Human rights activist: The Czech state is holding impoverished people hostage, the ombud will do what she can
- Commentary: Czech MP uses Nazi term to discuss the impoverished
- Sociologist says Czech Republic is creating two states, an impoverished north and a wealthy center and south
- Commentary: Can a "trafficker in poverty" improve the participation of impoverished Romani people?
- Politicians bribing impoverished Roma for their votes in northern Czech Republic
- Czech Supreme Administrative Court upholds homeless Romani family's appeal of eviction, returns case to Regional Court
- Czech bill would prevent evictions due to nonpayment of rent during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech lower house committee suspends discussion of stripping ultranationalist MP of immunity from prosecution for xenophobic remarks
- Newly-elected Slovak MP Jarmila Vaňová: I thank Romani voters for coming out and demanding change
- Vladimír Leško of the Association of Romani Entrepreneurs and Guilds in the Czech Republic: Let's turn welfare recipients into taxpayers
- New Czech Public Defender of Rights is Stanislav Křeček
- Czech Labor and Social Affairs Minister's housing benefit reforms criticized from all sides
- Outgoing Czech ombudswoman assessed her seven years in office before the lower house today
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion praises town for using EU funds to create social housing
- Michal Miko: Czech ministries are boycotting experts' attempts to introduce social housing
- Czech mayor who failed to tackle "white flight" publicly curses nonprofits and Romani people, Agency for Social Inclusion calls for dialogue
- Roma civil society members on Czech Govt Roma Council tell Labor Minister her anti-poverty measures will instead produce poverty