Czech MP spreads disinformation about terrorist threat, Interior Minister sharply objects
Czech Interior Minister Lubomír Metnar has very emphatically objected to recent allegations made by SPD leader Tomio Okamura. That MP has published a disinformation video in which he claims the Czech Republic is in danger of terrorist attack.
"That statement contains several serious pieces of disinformation concerning the internal security of the Czech Republic," the minister said on 29 December 2017. Okamura published the video on 27 December 2017 to the Facebook page of the SPD.
"Security in the Czech Republic has deteriorated again and there is a threat of terrorist attacks," the MP alleges in the video, without providing any evidence. "This is the sad result of the fifth year of the engagement of Andrej Babiš in the Government. Now the situation has deteriorated further. On the Old Town Square in Prague concrete barriers have newly appeared to prevent a terrorist attack."
In addition to its other claims, the statement contains a factual error. Babiš has not been in the Government for five years, but for less than four.
Metnar has sharply objected to the allegations made by Okamura, who now occupies one of the highest constitutional offices in the country as Vice-Chair of the Chamber of Deputies of the Parliament of the Czech Republic. In a statement that news server Romea.cz is publishing below in full translation, the minister said that "The Czech Republic remains one of the safest countries in the world and, according to objective security parameters, its security situation is not deteriorating."
Czech Interior Minister's response to Tomio Okamura's remarks of 27 December 2017
On 27 December 2017, Tomio Okamura published a video to the SPD's pages declaring that the Czech Republic is in danger of terrorist attack. The statement contains several serious pieces of disinformation concerning the security situation of the Czech Republic.
The Czech Republic remains one of the safest countries in the world and, according to objective security parameters, its security situation is not deteriorating. It is still the case that the lowest degree of terrorist threat, level one, applies here.
That threat assessment clearly flows from the evaluation done by the body that is called upon in the Czech Republic to comprehensively judge the degree of terrorist threat, i.e., the Joint Intelligence Group. Nobody else has been tasked with making that assessment, and nobody else has enough information to be able to perform the relevant evaluation of the degree to which the Czech Republic is at risk of terrorism.
The mechanical barriers are a response to what has recently become a frequent attack method, that of driving vehicles into crowds, and are not an indication of the existence of any concrete information from which it would follow that there is an increased danger of terrorist attacks in the Czech Republic. There are no security measures that, in and of themselves, will prevent any and all attack methods.
It would, however, given the current situation in Europe, be foolish not to take advantage of opportunities to at least somewhat increase the protections afforded to selected soft targets. It is necessary to comprehend that any individual measures are just one component of an entire battery of measures applied in the Czech Republic against terrorism (measures that are hidden from view as well as ones that are visible).
The Czech Republic already currently thoroughly prosecutes any illegal migration onto its territory. The Czech state has zero tolerance for illegal migration.
- Chair of Prague DSSS celebrates ultra-right terrorist murdering woman in USA
- Czech Republic: Assembly to honor the victim of the neo-Nazi terror attack in the USA
- Analysis: Burkinis once symbolized happiness and health - why do they now mean terrorism?
- Partner of murdered Romani man condemns Czech media for calling him a "terrorist"
- Online haters not ashamed to make manipulative allegations about photographs of London terrorist attack
- Internet memes falsely allege celebration of terrorist attack in London
- Romani police officer Petr Torák on London terrorist attack: We must not show fear
- Czech Center against Terrorism and Hybrid Threats will refute disinformation online
- Commentary: Merkel, refugees, no to terrorism, Echo24 "mooing", Putin has already won
- Czech Muslims hold public event to condemn terrorism
- Czech-language online hoax alleging Prague terrorist attack now spreading among Slovaks and stealing Facebook passwords
- Czech-language online hoax alleges terrorist attack in Prague in order to steal personal data
- Czech politician spreads hateful racist hoaxes online against dark-skinned footballers, Muslims and Roma
- European Parliament: Shouting matches over Italian "census" of Roma - Járóka finds it reasonable, Post calls for a halt
- Czech Police refuse immediate comment about extremist stickers on bus used to transport 280 arrested environmental activists
- Ukraine: Recent pogroms against Roma costing lives around the country
- Slovakia: Man shoots at Romani groundskeepers, then hangs Nazi flag from his window, is now in custody
- France: Extreme-right members arrested on suspicion of planning to attack Muslims
- USA: Organizer of last year's fatal ultra-right march plans a reprise in the nation's capital
- German judge's word choice causes retrial of arson incident against asylum-seekers' shelter
- Czech chair of National Council of People Living with Disabilities lets himself be used to promote populist, xenophobic party
- Ukraine: One Romani man killed and others injured, including child, during yet another neo-Nazi pogrom
- Slovak Parliament condemns growing displays of extremism
- Czech PM, in speech about EU, says migration problems have caused a rise in extremist politics
Tags:Extremism, Hoax, manipulation, Ministertsvo vnitra
Italy's Lombardy Region first to conduct census of Roma and Sinti, plans to raze illegal camps, Romani organizations protesting10.7.2018 10:23
Jan Cibrik explains his collaboration with Czech city officials who are so harsh about impoverished Roma9.7.2018 20:36
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.