Czech nurse expresses frustration with those denying COVID-19 and spreading disinformation: People are dying of this here!
Lucie Rašková, a nurse at a hospital in Sokolov, Czech Republic that is overwhelmed, has expressed her frustration with those who deny the existence of COVID-19 to the Czech News Agency (ČTK). "I'd like to give them all a slap," she told the wire service.
Every day Rašková has to witness the suffering the COVID-19 disease causes. She finds the delusions she has seen people posting through social media profoundly irritating.
Dr Alice Novotná, her colleague, cannot understand those who are denying the existence of the virus either. She told ČTK that the consequences of such allegations are deadly.
"We are hearing from these COVID deniers that this is all a marketing campaign, that COVID-19 does not exist, or that it does exist but is not deadly, and all the while you're seeing young guys and women fighting for their lives here," says Rašková, who has been working at the hospital in Sokolov for 17 years. She has never before experienced anything like what happened at the beginning of the year, when the British mutation of the novel coronavirus fully impacted the Sokolov area.
During January and February alone almost 200 people died at that hospital, exponentially more than is customary during that time of year. This is not just about statistics, but mainly about the medical staff's daily personal experience with the suffering and death of absolutely different kinds of people with absolutely different stories.
"These people do actually exist, they are lying in bed here. When we look at their lungs it is clear they are suffocating," the nurse says, adding that she herself no longer responds to the deniers' output on social media because she believes there is no point.
"It seems to me that they have been absolutely brainwashed," the nurse says without reservation. She is sometimes surprised when people whom she knows well write such comments.
"I believed that my friends, whom I have known since childhood, were normal people, but then I see what they are capable of posting on Facebook, the delusions. They need to be slapped. If I could, I would probably give them all a slap," she says.
Dr Novotná says that while the COVID deniers' remarks are absolutely "beyond the pale", she herself would not go so far as to slap anybody. "It does make me awfully angry. It's incomprehensible to me," she says with emotion.
"These people have no sense of responsibility, they are spreading allegations that could result in somebody else dying. People read them, some people believe them, and it inspires them not to follow some of the public health measures," the doctor fears.
- Czech MP protesting measures to stem COVID-19 pandemic is a trafficker in poverty with a history of anti-Romani racism
- Romani youth including actor from "The Painted Bird" want to fundraise for Czech hospital treating serious COVID-19 cases
- Another Romani musician in a Czech hospital sends social media message to COVID-19 deniers: This is real and the hospitals are running out of room
- Brand-new Czech Chief Public Health Officer has a history of anti-Romani racism in her previous public communications about COVID-19
- Czech doctor explains how the COVID-19 vaccines were developed so quickly for ROMEA TV
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- Petr Mati, social pedagogue, tells Czech Health Minister his communication style about COVID-19 is demotivating
- ROMEA TV interviews Czech doctor about vaccines against COVID-19 - how are they made and how do they work?
- Jan Dužda: Vaccination is the most effective weapon against COVID-19, Czech authorities need to campaign about its effects and importance
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- Vaccinations against COVID-19 - how is the Romani community in the Czech Republic responding?
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic will get vaccinated and is disturbed by COVID-19 disinformation
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech town provides no aid as Romani families are made homeless during COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Zeljko Jovanovic: Low COVID-19 immunization rate among the European Roma is the result of decades of government neglect
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Czech mobile vaccination teams revisit socially excluded localities where COVID-19 disinformation has had more of an impact
- Austria's Die Presse: Covert racism is why Europe's Roma are worse off after COVID-19 pandemic
- Czech mobile team has vaccinated about 100 people against COVID-19 at the Mojžíř housing estate and will visit other excluded localities
- Czech mobile vaccination teams visit excluded localities in Ostrava-Přívoz, Regional Authority working with Romani NGOs on outreach
- Romani-inhabited housing estate Luník IX in Slovakia sees start of local vaccinations against COVID-19
- In the Czech Republic, mobile teams have begun vaccinating people against COVID-19 in socially excluded localities
- Czech social media response to tornado includes antigypsyist rushes to judgment about Romani workers
- Online response to Stanislav Tomáš's death includes hoaxes shared in the Czech Romani community
- Jaroslav Miko: Vaccination doesn't just protect you, it protects us all
- Commentary: Czech PM fishing for votes in a racist/xenophobic pond