Czech nursery school underpays Romani janitor for years, refuses to compensate her, she is suing
The regional daily Karlovarský deník reports that Dana Macková, a Romani community member who works as a janitor, has been paid less than she should have been for years and alleges that she has faced discriminatory treatment at the hands of the school principal. She is therefore suing her employer, 1. Mateřská škola (Nursery School #1), at the District Court in Karlovy Vary.
Macková has worked for more than 30 years at the nursery school as its janitor. She first noticed that she had been assigned the wrong pay grade in 2011.
Several hearings have been held on the issue. At the most recent hearing last month, principal Zdeňka Tichá defended herself.
"I have not breached the Antidiscrimination Act or behaved condescendingly toward my employees." Those were the worlds the principal used to defend herself before the court.
The original reason for the dispute was Macková's claim that she qualifies for a higher pay grade, which the principal rejects. In 2018, at Macková's instigation, an audit was conducted at the nursery school by the District Labor Inspectorate that confirmed 24 cases of the school breaching labor regulations.
Those violations have impacted other employees as well. The inspectorate fined the nursery school CZK 40 000 [EUR 1 500], but the principal has challenged the fine.
"The problem of Mrs Macková being dissatisfied with her pay grade has grown into this trial in which I am facing accusations of discrimination. Nothing about this accords with my actions and behavior, though. I treat all my employees the same way, and I am decidedly not condescending toward them," the principal defended herself to the court.
During previous hearings during the trial, however, several teachers at the nursery school said they fear the principal and prefer to remain silent rather than to address their difficulties at work with her. Ronald Němec, Macková's legal representative, prevoiusly said that his "client has an audio recording in which she is being spoken of [by the principal] as a person who is poor and barely literate. She has lost CZK 53 000 [EUR 2 000] as a consequence of being categorized in the wrong pay grade."
- Amnesty International criticizes Czech discrimination of Roma, Public Defender of Rights says AI is "biased"
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights on International Romani Day: Segregated schools are the shame of our country
- Civil society: The Czech state is not fully implementing its Roma integration policy
- Czech ombudsman to control discrimination agenda, head of the legal section steps down to work for his deputy
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights to take up human rights agenda, discrimination still an issue
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- Czech bookstore fires clerk for racially insulting Romani colleague on social media
- Romani children in the Czech Republic still frequently assessed as mentally disabled and educated separately
- Tomáš Ščuka: Czech ombudsman's opinions just confirm his incompetence
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says he is against "special treatment" for Romani people
- Czech police use dehumanizing terms if incidents involve Romani people, the media parrot them - and then pogroms begin
- Best Reality, Stars reality corporation s.r.o., DůmRealit.cz, Broker´s Team, CENTURY 21 Finem caught on tape rejecting Roma tenants in Czech Republic, only CENTURY 21 apologizes
- Commentary: Czech ombudsman's racist remarks reveal his ignorance of Roma and of history
- Commentary: Czech philosopher Daniel Kroupa has crossed the line, or: What is racism?
- Cyril Koky: I want to serve in the Czech Senate
- Commentary: Romani actors should boycott Czech cop show over antigypsyist content
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Germany: Trial begins of right-wing extremist charged with murder of local politician
- Slovak Police refute disinformation alleging that rampaging murderer at school was Romani
- Czech man prosecuted for expressing support for Norwegian terrorist refuses to testify in court