Czech off-duty police officer assaults Romani children for smoking
Last Thursday an incident transpired in Sokolov, Czech Republic in which an out-of-uniform police officer assaulted an 11-year-old Romani boy whom he saw smoking. Kateřina Krejčí, head of the press department of the Karlovy Vary Regional Police Directorate, has informed news server Romea.cz that the case will be reviewed by the Regional Police Directorate where the officer is assigned to duty to see what measures to take next.
"My son has admitted to me that he and a friend were attempting to smoke a cigarette on the street. When the cop saw them, they say he asked them what they were playing at. The boys then turned away from him, and he reportedly said 'Turn around, you black fags!' They then gave him a vulgar response and he ran at them. The other boy managed to escape, but not my son," the mother of the victim told Romea.cz.
The officer, whose name is known to Romea.cz, is then said to have begun beating the child. The child's aunt arrived to the scene some moments later and saw the man holding the child by the throat and dragging him behind him for several meters.
The aunt immediately summoned the boy's mother to the scene. "I was standing at a distance and I called out to him asking what had happened, why he was beating him. The guy told me the boy had been smoking, but that's no reason to beat a child like that. I said he should have informed me and I would address it with him as his Mom. He answered that he was a cop," the boy's mother told Romea.cz.
The assaulted boy then said the man had kicked and punched him. His mother, who was upset, asked her sister to call police to the scene.
In the interim, several other people came to the scene asking for an explanation of what was happening. The mother then took her son to the hospital for examination and also reported the entire incident at the local police station.
Krejčí has confirmed to Romea.cz that police are thoroughly investigating the case. "We have very thoroughly investigated all the circumstances of the case, especially the behavior of the police officer, who was not on duty at the time of the incident, " she said.
"Given his involvement in the incident, the case was also reviewed by the Internal Audit Department of the Karlovy Vary Regional Police Directorate. The entire matter, with our preliminary conclusions, will be handed over to the relevant Regional Police Department where the officer is assigned for duty so the appropriate measures can be taken," the spokesperson said.
"Currently we are not, therefore, authorized to communicate the specific findings of the investigation," the spokesperson said. News server Romea.cz will continue to follow the course of the investigation.
- Czech police officer claims to have filmed journalists "staging" migrants drowning, his superiors see nothing wrong with that
- Czech Inspector-General prosecuting two police officers for torturing Romani man into a false confession
- Czech Police refuse immediate comment about extremist stickers on bus used to transport 280 arrested environmental activists
- Romani children from choir whose summer camp was shot at write to Czech PM, Police, seeking apology
- Czech police officer who brutally assaulted Romani workers now on trial
- Czech prosecutor indicts shooter for murder, refutes police report that he was responding to victim driving into people
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- Czech town hires Romani lifeguards, swimmers respond positively - especially Romanes speakers
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Czech towns hire Romani community members as police assistants
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Czech town plans to demolish real estate rented to the socially vulnerable after altercation between long-term residents and newcomers