Czech off-duty police officer assaults Romani children for smoking
Last Thursday an incident transpired in Sokolov, Czech Republic in which an out-of-uniform police officer assaulted an 11-year-old Romani boy whom he saw smoking. Kateřina Krejčí, head of the press department of the Karlovy Vary Regional Police Directorate, has informed news server Romea.cz that the case will be reviewed by the Regional Police Directorate where the officer is assigned to duty to see what measures to take next.
"My son has admitted to me that he and a friend were attempting to smoke a cigarette on the street. When the cop saw them, they say he asked them what they were playing at. The boys then turned away from him, and he reportedly said 'Turn around, you black fags!' They then gave him a vulgar response and he ran at them. The other boy managed to escape, but not my son," the mother of the victim told Romea.cz.
The officer, whose name is known to Romea.cz, is then said to have begun beating the child. The child's aunt arrived to the scene some moments later and saw the man holding the child by the throat and dragging him behind him for several meters.
The aunt immediately summoned the boy's mother to the scene. "I was standing at a distance and I called out to him asking what had happened, why he was beating him. The guy told me the boy had been smoking, but that's no reason to beat a child like that. I said he should have informed me and I would address it with him as his Mom. He answered that he was a cop," the boy's mother told Romea.cz.
The assaulted boy then said the man had kicked and punched him. His mother, who was upset, asked her sister to call police to the scene.
In the interim, several other people came to the scene asking for an explanation of what was happening. The mother then took her son to the hospital for examination and also reported the entire incident at the local police station.
Krejčí has confirmed to Romea.cz that police are thoroughly investigating the case. "We have very thoroughly investigated all the circumstances of the case, especially the behavior of the police officer, who was not on duty at the time of the incident, " she said.
"Given his involvement in the incident, the case was also reviewed by the Internal Audit Department of the Karlovy Vary Regional Police Directorate. The entire matter, with our preliminary conclusions, will be handed over to the relevant Regional Police Department where the officer is assigned for duty so the appropriate measures can be taken," the spokesperson said.
"Currently we are not, therefore, authorized to communicate the specific findings of the investigation," the spokesperson said. News server Romea.cz will continue to follow the course of the investigation.
- Czech police officer claims to have filmed journalists "staging" migrants drowning, his superiors see nothing wrong with that
- Czech Inspector-General prosecuting two police officers for torturing Romani man into a false confession
- Czech Police refuse immediate comment about extremist stickers on bus used to transport 280 arrested environmental activists
- Romani children from choir whose summer camp was shot at write to Czech PM, Police, seeking apology
- Czech police officer who brutally assaulted Romani workers now on trial
- Czech prosecutor indicts shooter for murder, refutes police report that he was responding to victim driving into people
- VIDEO: Czech ticket-checker assaults Romani boy, removes children from bus, police tell commuter not to film it
- Czech academic publishes book on how to work with groups where non-Romani and Romani people come together
- Czech Police seem to prevent Romani refugees from disembarking at station, but say they just informed them there is no accommodation available in the country's second-largest city
- Jihlava, Czech Republic flies the Romani flag in honor of World Roma Day
- Roman Koky: Romani people have a better relationship toward the majority society in the Czech Republic than the majority has towards Romani people
- Czech Police prosecuting one of the men who assaulted Romani people in Sokolov this summer, Internal Affairs says officers procedure was correct
- Czech MP loses re-election and immunity, police reopen case of his calling Lety a "non-existent, pseudo-concentration camp" for Roma
- Norway Grants to fund two advisors on Romani issues in Czech town - one Czech, the other Romani
- Woman says intercity bus driver in northern Czech town racially abused her and called for the death of all Roma before physically throwing her onto a road
- Polish football hooligans allegedly physically assault Romani man in Přerov, Czech Republic for objecting to their racist comments
- Several dozen Romani people protest in Sokolov, Czech Republic over the attack by football hooligans on local Roma
- Czech Police director of the Karlovy Vary Region: Internal Affairs Department investigating video of intervention by police in Sokolov
- Czech capital to see demonstration for Stanislav Tomáš today expressing disagreement with police intervention and support for local community