Czech ombudsman "likes" racist post on Facebook, refuses to answer questions about what that means
Matěj Hollan, the founder of the "Live Brno" (Žít Brno) movement and a former Brno city assembly member, has sharply criticized the Czech Public Defender of Rights, Stanislav Křeček. Last week, on the Facebook social network, Křeček used his personal Facebook account to "like" a comment that read "One rejection of a cigan does not equal racism."
News server Romea.cz has asked the ombudsman to explain his actions, but according to his press spokesperson, Iva Hrazdílková, he is refusing to comment further. Hollan had posted a status update in which he criticized the ombudsman's approach to cases of discrimination against Romani people on the housing market, and the racist comment was posted in response to his critique, after which the ombudsman then "liked" the statement, which uses a pejorative, racist term for Romani people.
The ombudsman is now refusing to explain to news server Romea.cz why he "liked" the comment. However, Hollan explained to Romea.cz why he had decided to draw attention to the ombudsman's behavior in his own critique.
According to Hollan, the institution of the Public Defender of Rights is one of the most important authorities in the Czech Republic for guaranteeing equality before the law and the right not to be discriminated against on the basis of one's ethnicity, race, religion, etc. "Stanislav Křeček doesn't just downplay that, he even denies it. He alleges there is no discrimination here at all, which confirms that he doesn't comprehend what this is about. It is important that the alarm be raised about this, that the media constantly report on it. An ombudsman like this is just good for one thing, and that is to be ashamed of him. Among other matters, I am convinced that this also infringes European principles and regulations," Hollan told Romea.cz.
"Mr Křeček was able, ahead of his appointment, to say whatever he wanted, to define himself in opposition to [previous Public Defender of Rights] Šabatová. We were able to pretend that was politics, sport, not to take these opinions of his absolutely seriously, to doubt whether he actually believed them, to give him a chance. However, now it is being demonstrated that he actually does not know what the Public Defender of Rights is meant to do. It seems that he has probably never read the Antidiscrimination Act and does not know what his agenda is [in office]. He confirms this each day, whether by defining himself as against the idea of the Public Defender of Rights addressing child protection, or if he 'likes' a racist comment, or when he alleges that Romani people here are not experiencing any discrimination," Hollan told Romea.cz.
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Czech Police investigating racist video posted by fanclub of ultranationalist party
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights to take up human rights agenda, discrimination still an issue
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights wants to investigate human rights, new Public Defender is downplaying that aspect of the office
- In twist of fate, new Public Defender of Rights sworn in by chair of ultranationalist party
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- New Czech Public Defender of Rights is Stanislav Křeček
- Jana Horváthová: Institutional racism still exists, many Roma have no faith in official structures
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Council on Roma Minority Affairs say Křeček is unacceptable as Public Defender of Rights
- Outgoing Czech Public Defender of Rights says her former deputy is not a good choice to succeed her
- Romani man from the Czech Republic living in England launches Facebook challenge to aid homeless people, other Roma in Europe respond
- EU Court of Justice: EU Member State courts can instruct Facebook to delete illegal posts, including insults
- Facebook adopts new measures to combat dissemination of disinformation
- Popular Romani singer Bertík Girga posts emotional video from Czech hospital telling people COVID-19 is real
- Czech NGO director tells ombudsman he should resign for refusing to acknowledge discrimination against Roma
- Alena Gronzíková: Czech landlords will not rent to Roma even with good references and steady incomes
- Romani people in the Czech Republic complain to retailers of security guards stalking them when they shop
- Czech ombudsman criticizes draft Roma Strategy, rejects idea of updating information about compensation for forced sterilizations
- Romani kickboxer from Czech Republic keeps winning with "Gitano" on his back and the Romani flag on his shorts
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic
- European Committee of Social Rights: Czech Republic overinstitutionalizes Romani children and children living with disabilities
- Romani college graduate in Czech Republic plans to become an educator himself
- Rajko Djurić, academic, author and former president of the International Romani Union, has passed away
- More than 60 % of Czechs active online believe Romani people are favored over non-Roma in the Czech Republic