Czech party proposes lower house security committee be led by man who has spread disinformation online
The "Freedom and Direct Democracy" (SPD) movement is proposing that its vice-chair, Radim Fiala, be appointed as the head of the Economic Committee of the Czech lower house and that Radek Koten, its top candidate from the Vysočina Region, be appointed as the head of the Security Committee. SPD chair Tomio Okamura told the media on 20 November prior to the beginning of the constitutive session of the Chamber of Deputies that Koten's record is untarnished with respect to security.
Fiala also told the press that Koten has no relationships with either Russia or the United States of America. Koten has been or is a member, however, of Czech-language Facebook groups that are anti-American and pro-Russian.
Support for the idea that Okamura's movement would head both committees in the newly-elected lower house was expressed last week by representatives of the ANO movement, which was the victor in the recent elections. The SPD has supported ANO's candidate, Radek Vondráček, to chair the lower house.
The SPD also wants Okamura to become a vice-chair of the lower house. The SPD chair has announced that Koten is prepared to become Security Committee chair.
"Go ahead and contact him, he will answer your questions," Okamura challenged journalists. The SPD chair also sharply objected to questions about whether Koten is connected with Russia or whether he shares links to disinformation media outlets.
News server Aktuálně.cz reported at the end of October that Koten previously shared a false alarm online about an alleged radiation link at a French nuclear power plant, allegations that were refuted by the State Office for Nuclear Security. He shared that particular fake news item from the Aeronet website, which is considered a source of disinformation and is monitored by the Czech Interior Ministry.
For his own promotional videos Koten has used footage from Russia Today television (RT), the operation of which is financed by the Russian Federation's budget with the direct suport of Vladimir Putin. Many states worldwide are attempting to restrict the impact of RT as a consequence.
According to Aktuálně.cz, Koten has been a member of groups supporting a referendum on the Czech Republic leaving the European Union (EU) and of groups labeling the religion of Islam a "deadly evil", and he has "liked" pages called "We Want Out of NATO and the EU - Russia Is Our Real Friend !!!" or "I Love the Ortel Band". The SPD nominee is, according to Okamura, a "decent" person.
"He is not associated with any security scandals or problems. There's not a scratch on him. We wanted it to be a balanced person who can manage to find consensus and does not have a bad past," Okamura said of Koten.
The SPD chair also said he would consider it acceptable if a representative of the Communists were elected to head the Mandate and Immunity Committee. "We do not have a problem with supporting that option," he said.
Okamura said he had not been contacted by the Movement of Mayors and Independents (STAN) about its proposal that its chair, Petr Gazdík, should head the Mandate and Immunity Committee. The Communist nominee has since been elected.
- Czech online media spread disinformation about refugees in Sweden
- Czech Interior Ministry monitoring up to 40 disinformation servers
- Czech disinformation outlet misinforms readers that a refugee camp "like Calais" is growing in Prague
- Czech Center against Terrorism and Hybrid Threats will refute disinformation online
- Czech bank pulls advertising from disinformation websites, costing them revenue
- Analysis: Czech media spread Islamophobic disinformation about court-ordered removal of Virgin Mary statue in France
- Analysis: Czech businessman wages disinformation campaign from Dubai to increase appetite for authoritarianism
- Czech-language disinformation websites spread pro-Kremlin propaganda, are anti-Romani and racist
- Czech activist accuses two media outlets of producing disinformation and lies
- Commentary: Czech right-wing populists close to destroying lifesaving social protections
- Elena Gorolová, spokeswoman for the illegally sterilized, calls on Czech MPs to support first reading of bill to compensate them
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- USA: Holocaust deniers, neo-Nazis, QAnon followers and racist supporters of white supremacy attacked Congress to support Trump
- USA: Extremist supporters of Trump attack Capitol building, disrupt joint session of Congress, four dead, media and world leaders call it an attack on democracy
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- German court sentences terrorist who attacked Halle synagogue last year to life in prison
- Czech ultra-right oppose vaccinations against COVID-19 with antisemitic caricature
- Slovak MP of Romani origin Peter Pollák, Jr.: COVID-19 isn't racist