Czech play focuses on hateful commentaries posted to Internet discussions - #nejsemrasista_ale
The Divadlo Petra Bezruče theater in Ostrava, Czech Republic has premiered an original production entitled #nejsemrasista_ale ("#I'm not a racist, but..."), directed by Braňo Holiček. The play about anonymous opinions on the Internet that frequently mask emotions of fear and hatred premiered on 18 May.
"These are authentic discussion posts, it is purely composed just of posts to Internet discussions. We extracted the principles from these discussions, those 'fouls' when people tell each other to 'Learn to write in Czech first' or 'Read it first before you start spouting your wisdom here', etc.," the director explained to Czech Television.
The script was created from Internet discussions that took place over the course of seven weeks when the production was rehearsed. The actors surfed the web to find the material.
In the play there is just one wifi signal available called "Truth" - to which none of the actors know the password. "Hatred on the Internet always causes fear in the beginning, and then it just continues to build on that," the director told Czech Television.
"This is all in aid of the system - of somebody, of something, of those who have an interest in there being fear in society, because then opinions and people themselves can be controlled," the director said. During the play the subjects addressed by the actors change over time.
The authentic commentaries used from the Internet are offensive and vulgar, without any arguments based on facts about the matter at hand. Advertising, anonymity, antisocial behavior and pride in one's own opinion are the threads running through the entire production.
Critics of the anonymous discussions on the Internet that create fear and hatred in cyberspace will find much food for thought in the production. The play is in repertoire until the end of June and will also be produced from September 2018 through June 2019.
- Czech Internet spreads lies and xenophobia after brawl in Brno, Interior Ministry responds
- Another Czech-language Internet hoax gives false, sectarian, xenophobic interpretation to video of riot
- Some Czech Internet users outraged by photos of Muslim women swimming in burkinis, facility says no rules were broken
- Romani amateur theater group from Slovakia pokes fun at the cult of youth
- Czech actors and theater producers say political elites are failing the country
- Czech nonprofits find schools not in touch with one-fifth of disadvantaged parents surveyed
- Karel Karika: COVID-19 making life drastically worse in the socially excluded localities of the Czech Republic
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Romani musician in Czech Republic regrets believing COVID-19 was fake now that he's had it
- Zuzana Kumanová becomes the first Romani woman ever appointed to high office in Slovakia
- Romani singer sends message about COVID-19 from a Czech hospital: You do not want to catch this
- German police officers who joined neo-Nazi groups online are being disciplined and dismissed in one state
- Czech town to see exhibition by pro-Romani and Romani artists referencing the Black Lives Matter movement
- Commentary: Romani quintuplets go to school, primitives in the Czech Republic have a field day!
- Commentary: The Czech and Slovak Romani community on the battlefield that is Facebook
- Czech Police charge author of antigypsyist article about arson for that and other offenses