Czech PM to attend commemorative ceremony to honor Holocaust victims who are Romani
On Wednesday, 7 March, a commemoration will be held of the 75th anniversary of the first mass transport of Romani people from the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia (transported from Brno) to the concentration and extermination camp of Auschwitz II-Birkenau. The event will be attended by Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš, Czech Culture Minister Ilja Šmíd, other Government representatives, ambassadors, and representatives of cultural institutions.
The commemoration will be held on 7 March at 14:00 in the lecture hall of the Museum of Romani Culture at Bratislavská 67 in Brno. "The commemorative ceremony is held to mark 7 March 1943, when the Nazis, with the contribution of Protectorate security forces, implemented the first mass transport of Romani people [from Brno] to the concentration camp at Auschwitz," said historian Dušan Slačka, who works for the Museum.
"Almost 1 000 Romani children, men and women from Moravia were assigned for transport to Auschwitz in freight wagons from Brno. Most of them did not survive," the historian said.
14:00 Opening of the ceremony by the Museum director, PhDr. Jana Horváthová
14:10 Historical introduction by Mgr. Dušan Slačka, historian, and a reading of authentic testimonies from Romani eyewitnesses by Jiří Banda
14:20 Laying of flowers and wreaths at the memorial plaque, speeches
15:00 Theatrical performance of "Leperiben – We Will Never Forget" (directed by David Tišer, performed by Romani actors Pavlína Matiová, Marta Balážová, Viliam Didiáš and Tibor Žida)
There will then be an opportunity to take a guided tour of the permanent exhibition with a historian and of the hall dedicated to the Holocaust of the Roma. The entire program will include live music performances.
- Czech Republic: Mayor of Brno joins march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma
- Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"
- Czech Christian Democrats want to remove Holocaust doubter from vice-chair post in the lower house
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls Czech MP's remarks about Romani genocide site classic Holocaust denial
- Slovak President: The Holocaust of the Roma cannot be forgotten, especially when hatred is becoming a political tool once more
- Jesse Jackson, American civil rights activist, to attend ceremony at Auschwitz Memorial marking Roma Holocaust Memorial Day
- Poland: Vandals deface Holocaust memorials in multiple locations, disrupt Jewish festival
- Czech ceremony commemorates heroic deaths of the Czechoslovak paratroopers who assassinated Nazi official
- Czech commemoration at site of Nazi massacre tomorrow will not feature xenophobic speaker
- Czech descendants of WWII resistance fighters demand senator resign over speech at Holocaust memorial
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- LIVE AT NOON TODAY: Commemoration at the former concentration camp for Roma in Lety, Czech Republic
- Commemoration at WWII-era concentration camp for Roma in Czech Republic to give Award for Humanity in memoriam to Dr Alfred Bader
- Czech lower house decides not to strip MP of immunity over his remarks denying the Holocaust of the Roma
- Czech lower house committee does not recommend stripping MP of immunity over denying the Holocaust of the Roma