Czech PM to attend commemorative ceremony to honor Holocaust victims who are Romani
On Wednesday, 7 March, a commemoration will be held of the 75th anniversary of the first mass transport of Romani people from the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia (transported from Brno) to the concentration and extermination camp of Auschwitz II-Birkenau. The event will be attended by Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš, Czech Culture Minister Ilja Šmíd, other Government representatives, ambassadors, and representatives of cultural institutions.
The commemoration will be held on 7 March at 14:00 in the lecture hall of the Museum of Romani Culture at Bratislavská 67 in Brno. "The commemorative ceremony is held to mark 7 March 1943, when the Nazis, with the contribution of Protectorate security forces, implemented the first mass transport of Romani people [from Brno] to the concentration camp at Auschwitz," said historian Dušan Slačka, who works for the Museum.
"Almost 1 000 Romani children, men and women from Moravia were assigned for transport to Auschwitz in freight wagons from Brno. Most of them did not survive," the historian said.
14:00 Opening of the ceremony by the Museum director, PhDr. Jana Horváthová
14:10 Historical introduction by Mgr. Dušan Slačka, historian, and a reading of authentic testimonies from Romani eyewitnesses by Jiří Banda
14:20 Laying of flowers and wreaths at the memorial plaque, speeches
15:00 Theatrical performance of "Leperiben – We Will Never Forget" (directed by David Tišer, performed by Romani actors Pavlína Matiová, Marta Balážová, Viliam Didiáš and Tibor Žida)
There will then be an opportunity to take a guided tour of the permanent exhibition with a historian and of the hall dedicated to the Holocaust of the Roma. The entire program will include live music performances.
- Czech Republic: Mayor of Brno joins march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma
- Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"
- Czech Christian Democrats want to remove Holocaust doubter from vice-chair post in the lower house
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls Czech MP's remarks about Romani genocide site classic Holocaust denial
- Czech library to exhibit all designs submitted for the future Lety u Písku Memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti
- Czech demolition of pig farm on former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma delayed one year, future new memorial said to be unaffected
- Czech capital to see new Center for the Roma and Sinti, meant to serve the general public
- Holocaust survivors and remembrance organizations object to how younger generation is using TikTok to commemorate victims
- Czech ceremony commemorating Romani prisoners sent to Auschwitz on 20 August attended by more than 150 people
- Slovak Prime Minister says the Holocaust and its Romani victims must be remembered so that its "bloody history" will never be repeated
- VIDEO: Commemoration at former concentration camp in Czech Republic remembers Romani victims of Auschwitz, Human Rights Commissioner expresses support for a Romani Commissioner
- LIVE BROADCAST Sunday at noon CET: European Roma Holocaust Memorial Day commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Winning design for new memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech Republic features enormous circle at the site of the former concentration camp
- Here is the winning design for the new memorial to Holocaust victims of Roma and Sinti origin at the former concentration camp in Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE BROADCAST AT 11 AM: Winning design for future memorial at former concentration camp for Roma to be unveiled in Prague
- Closed commemoration of the Roma victims of the Holocaust at Lety u Písku cultural heritage site