Czech PM to attend commemorative ceremony to honor Holocaust victims who are Romani
On Wednesday, 7 March, a commemoration will be held of the 75th anniversary of the first mass transport of Romani people from the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia (transported from Brno) to the concentration and extermination camp of Auschwitz II-Birkenau. The event will be attended by Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš, Czech Culture Minister Ilja Šmíd, other Government representatives, ambassadors, and representatives of cultural institutions.
The commemoration will be held on 7 March at 14:00 in the lecture hall of the Museum of Romani Culture at Bratislavská 67 in Brno. "The commemorative ceremony is held to mark 7 March 1943, when the Nazis, with the contribution of Protectorate security forces, implemented the first mass transport of Romani people [from Brno] to the concentration camp at Auschwitz," said historian Dušan Slačka, who works for the Museum.
"Almost 1 000 Romani children, men and women from Moravia were assigned for transport to Auschwitz in freight wagons from Brno. Most of them did not survive," the historian said.
14:00 Opening of the ceremony by the Museum director, PhDr. Jana Horváthová
14:10 Historical introduction by Mgr. Dušan Slačka, historian, and a reading of authentic testimonies from Romani eyewitnesses by Jiří Banda
14:20 Laying of flowers and wreaths at the memorial plaque, speeches
15:00 Theatrical performance of "Leperiben – We Will Never Forget" (directed by David Tišer, performed by Romani actors Pavlína Matiová, Marta Balážová, Viliam Didiáš and Tibor Žida)
There will then be an opportunity to take a guided tour of the permanent exhibition with a historian and of the hall dedicated to the Holocaust of the Roma. The entire program will include live music performances.
- Czech Republic: Mayor of Brno joins march against denial of the Holocaust of the Roma
- Outgoing Czech PM backs MP who doubted Romani Holocaust, says he has apologized and his words have been "misinterpreted"
- Czech Christian Democrats want to remove Holocaust doubter from vice-chair post in the lower house
- European Grassroots Antiracist Movement calls Czech MP's remarks about Romani genocide site classic Holocaust denial
- Třebíč, Czech Republic commemorates anniversary of Holocaust transports from there
- Commentary: Terezin commemoration this year was a travesty, civil society group calls for director's dismissal
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Contemporary research of the Holocaust, Romani victims, and their public commemoration
- The Romani Uprising in Auschwitz, 16 May 1944
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Demolition of pig farm on Romani genocide site in Czech Republic could provide jobs for long-term unemployed
- Czech Republic will not finance new memorial at Romani genocide site, funds will come from Norway
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- Hundreds commemorate Romani victims of WWII-era camp, criticize Czech politicians for Holocaust denial
- Czech state is now the official owner of the former pig farm at Lety on the Romani genocide site
- Czech Republic: Permission sought from Prostějov to install stones marking Holocaust victims
Tags:Holocaust, Muzeum romské kultury, Osvětim, Pietní akce
Romani entrepreneurs push for unemployed Roma, not foreigners, to be hired for Czech bark beetle eradication16.6.2018 8:46
Renata Berkyová: Concept of the Porajmos as a reflection of the marginalization of Roma in historiography6.6.2018 13:25
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.