Czech Police arrest man for firing gas pistol while shouting about "Gypsies"
News servers Aktu.cz and Blesk.cz report that at around 20:00 on 24 August there was a shooting incident at a residential hotel in the Radotín quarter of Prague. Eyewitnesses say a drunken man shouted "Gypsies, I'll shoot you all here!" before firing a gas pistol at people inside the building - without, however, actually physically harming them.
After the incident the shooter fled the building and hid outdoors, but police apprehended him after after several minutes. A helicopter was called to aid the search.
"I was lying down and suddenly heard shots and ascertained that some guy was firing a weapon there. I went outside, followed him, and for a moment I provoked a conflict with him and delayed him so the police officers could then apprehend him. When they arrived, I showed them where he was and they ran over there," one eyewitness described the situation on camera to news server Aktu.cz.
Police immediately began their search for the assailant after arriving on the scene. They soon found the shooter in a drainage pipe near an adjacent railway line.
Because the man resisted arrest the officers had to use force to detain him. The aggressor still had his weapon on him.
Detectives have ascertained that the weapon fired was a gas pistol. The attacker, according to the police, was given a breath test to measure his blood alcohol level.
"Since this locality is spread out over a large area, the commanding officer sent reinforcements from the emergency motorized units and riot units and the area was even monitored by helicopter during the manhunt. Thanks to these measures we succeeded in finding the 43-year-old suspect and arrested him after a relatively brief time. He was hiding from police in a drain near the rail line," the police report about the incident says.
Eyewitnesses say during the spree the shooter took aim at all the people he encountered, threatening to shoot a mother and her children as well. Police spokesperson Tomáš Hulan chose a somewhat unusual way to describe the incident, saying: "In this respect it is necessary mention that even if the 43-year-old had a reason for acting like this, he is not entitled to resolve any situation this way."
The man is suspected of felony rioting and reckless endangerment. If convicted he faces up to two years in prison.
- Czech court releases murder suspect from custody now that all witnesses to shooting of Romani man have been questioned
- Czech Police reconstruct murder of Romani man, shooter faces 20 years in prison if convicted
- Analysis: Czech Police say situation after Chomutov shooting not tense, locals say otherwise
- Commentary on shooting of Romani man in Chomutov: How many more murder victims before the state learns how to respond?
- Romani actor to appear in latest installment of antigypsyist Czech film series made by former 'special school' teacher
- Czech bodybuilder fined for approving of murder of Romani man, he appeals
- Facebook will delete posts denying or distorting the Holocaust, ignorance of it among youth one reason
- Slovak politician gets 4 months and 4 years for establishing a movement to suppress human rights, he appeals
- Portugueuse police ordered to remove racist tattoos
- Czech poll finds 30 % of the public does not want Romani children in mainstream classes and does want them to be segregated
- Czech Interior Ministry: Ultranationalist party attempted to spark anti-Romani sentiment, extremists and xenophobes spread disinformation about COVID-19
- Czech court upholds suspended sentence for man who called for non-white first-graders to be gassed to death
- Exhibition in Czech capital shows newly-identified photographs of the deportations of Jewish people from Prague during the Holocaust
- Commentary: What are the Romani candidates running for the fascists in the Czech Republic thinking?
- Czech court sentences perpetrator to five years for racist assault on Romani man, both defense and prosecution considering appeal
- COMMENTARY: Romani actors should refuse to perpetuate stereotypes in Czech television programs