Czech Police arrest man for firing gas pistol while shouting about "Gypsies"
News servers Aktu.cz and Blesk.cz report that at around 20:00 on 24 August there was a shooting incident at a residential hotel in the Radotín quarter of Prague. Eyewitnesses say a drunken man shouted "Gypsies, I'll shoot you all here!" before firing a gas pistol at people inside the building - without, however, actually physically harming them.
After the incident the shooter fled the building and hid outdoors, but police apprehended him after after several minutes. A helicopter was called to aid the search.
"I was lying down and suddenly heard shots and ascertained that some guy was firing a weapon there. I went outside, followed him, and for a moment I provoked a conflict with him and delayed him so the police officers could then apprehend him. When they arrived, I showed them where he was and they ran over there," one eyewitness described the situation on camera to news server Aktu.cz.
Police immediately began their search for the assailant after arriving on the scene. They soon found the shooter in a drainage pipe near an adjacent railway line.
Because the man resisted arrest the officers had to use force to detain him. The aggressor still had his weapon on him.
Detectives have ascertained that the weapon fired was a gas pistol. The attacker, according to the police, was given a breath test to measure his blood alcohol level.
"Since this locality is spread out over a large area, the commanding officer sent reinforcements from the emergency motorized units and riot units and the area was even monitored by helicopter during the manhunt. Thanks to these measures we succeeded in finding the 43-year-old suspect and arrested him after a relatively brief time. He was hiding from police in a drain near the rail line," the police report about the incident says.
Eyewitnesses say during the spree the shooter took aim at all the people he encountered, threatening to shoot a mother and her children as well. Police spokesperson Tomáš Hulan chose a somewhat unusual way to describe the incident, saying: "In this respect it is necessary mention that even if the 43-year-old had a reason for acting like this, he is not entitled to resolve any situation this way."
The man is suspected of felony rioting and reckless endangerment. If convicted he faces up to two years in prison.
- Czech court releases murder suspect from custody now that all witnesses to shooting of Romani man have been questioned
- Czech Police reconstruct murder of Romani man, shooter faces 20 years in prison if convicted
- Analysis: Czech Police say situation after Chomutov shooting not tense, locals say otherwise
- Commentary on shooting of Romani man in Chomutov: How many more murder victims before the state learns how to respond?
- Czech Inspector-General prosecuting two police officers for torturing Romani man into a false confession
- Monika Mihaličková: Soske ME DŽAV?! Let's contain this political cesspool!
- Czech court hears accused assailants of African man deny they racially abused him in any way
- Czech tabloid will not be inviting ultra-right party representatives to its online debates
- Czech media, police accuse Romani family of inciting brawl with non-Roma at children's pool, Romea.cz first to report the Romani mother's testimony
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from neo-Nazi convicted of 2012 arson
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Eyewitnesses allege staff at Czech lake did not help Vietnamese mothers look for their children, who drowned
- Italy: Moroccan beaten to death, athlete of Nigerian origin attacked as fascists in the Govt spread racism
- LIVE BROADCAST: RomanoNet delivers protest manifesto to the Italian Embassy about Italy's racist measures against Roma
- Amateur photo contest won with images of Romani people sparks hateful reactions on Czech internet
- Romania: 900 protest recent violence against Roma in Italy and Ukraine, more demonstrations in other European countries to follow
Tags:Policie, Praha, Racism, shootings
Czech local election campaign slogan: "Poison alone is not strong enough for these pests" - meaning Romani people7.9.2018 17:49
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.