Czech Police arrest suspected shooter, investigate whether foreigners were his target
The Czech Police have arrested a man suspected of have fired at a public bus on Tuesday in the Bory quarter of Plzeň. They also confiscated the weapon that was probably used in the shooting.
Ivana Jelínková, spokesperson for the Regional Police, informed the Czech News Agency of the arrest last night. No one was injured in the incident.
"The public is no longer at risk of any danger," the spokesperson said. Police are working on the case and are expected to determined the legal qualification of the crime and decide on the charges today.
At the time of the shooting there were 90 people on the bus, mainly foreign nationals commuting to nearby factories. Czech Interior Minister Milan Chovanec (Czech Social Democratic Party) tweeted today that police are determining to what degree the incident "might be yet another political provocation".
The issue of foreign nationals has been festering in Czech society recently, with the reception of refugees a sore point. The bus driver did not discover the vehicle had been shot at until all the passengers disembarked.
He found three gunshot holes in the vehicle and called the police. While driving, he had believed the bus was having technical difficulties and that the back light had broken down.
The bullets damaged the back of the bus including the window. Kateřina Fránová, spokesperson for the Plzeň Municipal Transit Company, said that in recent years they have recorded only one other attack on one of their vehicles.
Last year someone shot through one of the small windows of a tram car there. No one was injured in that incident either.
- Czech Police now agree that "a gallows has no place in a democracy"
- Commentary: Are the Czech police not bothered by death threats and a gallows?
- Commentary: Actually, the Czech Police do not "know" that a gallows has no place in a democracy
- Czech Prime Minister: Police procedure during demonstration with gallows was absurd
- Czech Interior Minister says police should know a gallows has no place in a democracy
- Czech MP holds hate rally with nooses for "traitors" warning of "hordes of horny blacks"
- Czech Republic: Hooligans physically attack customer of café supporting refugees in Brno
- Czech riot police keep anti-immigrant, ultra-right demonstrators separate from counter-protesters in Brno
- Czech Republic: Romani residents of Tanvald oppose planned demonstration for new investigation of 2012 shooting
- Czech survey shows welfare less acceptable than murder or stealing
- Czech state prosecutor agrees shooting of Romani men in Tanvald was self-defense
- Czech state prosecutors fail to prosecute shooting of Romani man
- Czech Republic: Man dies after being shot with an arrow, allegedly during robbery, media claims he was Romani
- Czech Romani activist debates central misdemeanor registry, prosecution of Tanvald shooting
- Czech activist alleges reconstruction of shooting incident in Tanvald was one-sided
- Czech Republic: Investigation says pensioner shot Romani men in self-defense
- Czech Police perform reconstruction of shooting incident in Tanvald
- Czech Republic: Hundreds pay last respects to Romani gunshot victim, disruption of funeral attempted
- Tanvald gunshot victim: "I fear for my life"
- Czech Republic: Romani activist says media tried to bribe gunshot victim
- Czech Republic: State prosecutor says Tanvald shooting was not racially motivated
- TV Nova reports two witnesses claim Romani youths attacked man who shot them in Tanvald
- Czech newspaper reveals identity of man who allegedly shot Romani youths
- Czech Republic: Funeral for Romani gunshot victim Saturday, public commemoration planned
- Czech Republic: Romani victim says shooting was unprovoked
- Czech Republic: Two Romani men victim of shooting, suspect no longer in custody
- Shooting at the Bondy shopping center: Testimony of the Romani victim
- Suspect admits to shooting at Roma houses
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- USA: Four-month-old Romani boy is youngest child to be separated from his parents at the border with Mexico
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Czech town plans to demolish real estate rented to the socially vulnerable after altercation between long-term residents and newcomers
- Czech Republic: Romani family harassed by xenophobic neighbors with vulgar abuse and threats
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- Czech Police send case of attack on Romani minors to Criminal Police to determine whether it was a felony
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse