Czech Police charge man who urged daughter to practice beating Muslims or Romani people with a baseball bat
Czech Police have charged a man who was filmed urging his young daughter to use a baseball bat to hit a pillow while imagining it was a "Muslim or a Gypsy". The video was first reported on by news server Romea.cz after a Facebook user nicknamed Olloph Samorost posted it to his profile at the beginning of August.
The man has been charged with two separate felonies and faces up to thee years in prison if convicted. "He is suspected of committing felony incitement of hatred against a group or restriction of their rights and freedoms, and he is suspected of endangering the upbringing of a child. He faces up to three years in prison if convicted," police spokesperson Eva Stulíková told news server iDNES.cz.
According to her, detectives in the town of Benešov have checked all of the evidence and information and have initiated criminal prosecution of the 27-year-old suspect. He has not been remanded into custody.
The video includes a recording of the man's dialogue with his daughter. Below is a translated excerpt from the filmed interaction:
Man: "What are you going to do?"
Girl: "I'm going to beat the pillow."
Man: "You're going to beat the pillow? Will you imagine it's a Gypsy or a Muslim?"
Man: "Give it to him good!... Wait, just break a few bones, don't kill him. ... What are Gypsies?"
Girl: "They're fuckers."
The commercial TV Prima television station reported that the author of the video is a Lukáš K. of Benešov who runs an e-shop selling equipment for marijuana cultivation who is also a member of the hard core ultra fans of the Sparta football club. Prima cited sources saying he has clashed with the law before on drug-related offenses.
- Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"
- Czech Police investigating video of father encouraging his daughter to imagine she is beating "Gypsies"
- Czech video goes viral of man telling girl to beat pillow with baseball bat and imagine it's a "Gypsy or a Muslim"
- Czech prosecutor says death threats and racist abuse committed through Facebook not necessarily crimes
- Chair of Czech right-wing extremist party exultant over appointment of new ombudsman
- Grandson of Holocaust survivor says he experiences racism on a daily basis in the Czech Republic
- European Commission seeks public feedback on European Social Fund activities, deadline 24 February
- Czech bookstore fires clerk for racially insulting Romani colleague on social media
- BBC reports Twitter makes it possible to target ads at members of hate groups or teens with eating disorders
- Czech commercial television station broadcast racist jokes on Christmas, broadcast council warns they broke the law
- Czech Republic: Driver runs into Romani boy in crosswalk, shouts racist abuse at him and drives off
- Czech Supreme Court upholds sentence for terrorist who supports ultranationalist party
- Czech student resigns from academic senate after his racist past is revealed
- Slovakia: Romani girl's racist Facebook post under investigation by authorities
- Czech fan of ultra-nationalist party gets suspended sentence for wearing Nazi symbols to demonstration
- Romani rapper Alex Dzurko's new video criticizes "Facebook warriors" and racists, laments social divisions