Czech Police charge man who urged daughter to practice beating Muslims or Romani people with a baseball bat
Czech Police have charged a man who was filmed urging his young daughter to use a baseball bat to hit a pillow while imagining it was a "Muslim or a Gypsy". The video was first reported on by news server Romea.cz after a Facebook user nicknamed Olloph Samorost posted it to his profile at the beginning of August.
The man has been charged with two separate felonies and faces up to thee years in prison if convicted. "He is suspected of committing felony incitement of hatred against a group or restriction of their rights and freedoms, and he is suspected of endangering the upbringing of a child. He faces up to three years in prison if convicted," police spokesperson Eva Stulíková told news server iDNES.cz.
According to her, detectives in the town of Benešov have checked all of the evidence and information and have initiated criminal prosecution of the 27-year-old suspect. He has not been remanded into custody.
The video includes a recording of the man's dialogue with his daughter. Below is a translated excerpt from the filmed interaction:
Man: "What are you going to do?"
Girl: "I'm going to beat the pillow."
Man: "You're going to beat the pillow? Will you imagine it's a Gypsy or a Muslim?"
Man: "Give it to him good!... Wait, just break a few bones, don't kill him. ... What are Gypsies?"
Girl: "They're fuckers."
The commercial TV Prima television station reported that the author of the video is a Lukáš K. of Benešov who runs an e-shop selling equipment for marijuana cultivation who is also a member of the hard core ultra fans of the Sparta football club. Prima cited sources saying he has clashed with the law before on drug-related offenses.
- Czech Deputy Trade Minister's pay is docked after posting to Facebook that "Gypsies are like jellyfish - poisonous and useless"
- Czech Police investigating video of father encouraging his daughter to imagine she is beating "Gypsies"
- Czech video goes viral of man telling girl to beat pillow with baseball bat and imagine it's a "Gypsy or a Muslim"
- Czech prosecutor says death threats and racist abuse committed through Facebook not necessarily crimes
- International Network against Cyber Hate and ROMEA hold conference on antigypsyism and online hate in Czech capital
- Czech court says police officer who beat Romani worker did not commit a felony
- European Roma are sharing an online hoax from 2002 about poisonous cosmetic samples
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted
- Jarmila Balážová, renowned journalist from the Romani community, joining commercial Czech online news server
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Czech court overturns acquittal for author of racist online comments, prosecution will continue
- Czech ice hockey friendly goes uncompleted after fans racially abuse Romani player and his team stops play in protest
- Czech ultrachauvinist shares satire online - without getting the joke
- Czech Prosecutor General insists online hate speech is a felony, Supreme Court agrees
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests