Czech Police charge Romani youth with threatening to burn down pizzeria where another Romani man died in October
A 19-year-old Romani man has been accused of using his personal Facebook profile to make threats against the employees of the Panamera Pizzeria in the Czech town of Žatec, saying he would burn the business down after another young Romani man died there in mid-October following a scuffle with other customers and a police intervention. The man who made the threats is in custody and faces prison time if convicted.
His trial will take place on 7 December in Louny. "They were strongly emotional after the death in the pizzeria. He did not mean any of that seriously. He made a mistake and he wants to apologize for it," the father of the accused told news server Romea.cz.
The youth is currently in contact with the state Probation and Mediation Services, which also endeavors to settle disputes between persons accused of crimes and their alleged victims, but Police do not want to comment on the case yet. "Investigation of this entire matter has not yet been completed by the Police of the Czech Republic, and because of that we will not provide you information about any part of it," Jana Slámová, head of the press department at the Ústecký Regional Police Directorate, told news server Romea.cz.
- Commentary: Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day in the Czech Republic after still-unexplained death of Romani man
- Council of Europe's Special Representative of the Secretary General for Roma Issues writes to Czech Interior Minister about death of a young Romani man
- Czech Gov't Roma Council calls on Interior Minister, Police President to thoroughly investigate death of Romani man in Žatec
- Hundreds around Czech Republic honor memory of dead Romani man, right-wing extremists assemble at site of his death, riot police deployed
- Patrik Banga: Internet violence should be punished with prison
- Czech Police recommend prosecuting woman who wore Nazi swastikas for supporting a movement to suppress human rights
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- Czech off-duty police officer assaults Romani children for smoking
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- UK court sentences neo-Nazis for threats against Prince Harry because of his marriage to Meghan Markle
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation