Czech Police find no crime was committed in death of Romani man last fall
Czech Police have shelved the case of a young Romani man, Mr Miroslav Demeter, who died tragically on Tuesday, 18 October 2016 at around 19:00 in the Panamera Pizzeria in Žatec, Czech Republic. Police found no felony had been committed in relation to the incident.
News server Romea.cz has reviewed the police resolution on the case, which is more than 40 pages long and contains information from expert witness assessments and detailed eyewitness testimonies, as well as describing the video footage of the incident that the investigating detective had available. "It has been decided to suspend prosecution of the criminal matter of negligent homicide in the case of Miroslav Demeter because the culpability of a third party in his death was not found," Jindřich Koželuh, Deputy District State Prosecutor in Louny, told news server Romea.cz.
"In this matter there is no suspicion of a felony (tort) and it is not appropriate to deal with this matter in any other way," reads the resolution. The family of the deceased has now filed a complaint through their attorney against the resolution.
"We disagree with the suspension of the investigation into this case because, in our opinion, the police never dedicated proper care to it. Our arguments as to how we draw that conclusion are listed in our complaint," the father of the deceased told news server Romea.cz.
- Czech Police investigation of death threats against Romani celebrity continues, his brother targeted also
- Czech investigation into death of Romani man in a pizzeria will announce findings at press conference
- Romani family files complaint against Czech investigation of death
- Czech Republic: Investigation into Romani man's death continues as interethnic gulf widens
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Commentary: Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day in the Czech Republic after still-unexplained death of Romani man
- Council of Europe's Special Representative of the Secretary General for Roma Issues writes to Czech Interior Minister about death of a young Romani man
- Czech Gov't Roma Council calls on Interior Minister, Police President to thoroughly investigate death of Romani man in Žatec
- Hundreds around Czech Republic honor memory of dead Romani man, right-wing extremists assemble at site of his death, riot police deployed
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani demonstrators prevent Romani mourners from lighting candles at site of death, riot police prevent clashes
- Czech Republic: ROMEA journalist interviewed by Radio Wave about death of young Romani man
- Twelve assemblies announced internationally to mourn the death of young Romani man in Czech Republic
- Jan Horvát: Romani people must unite over the death in Žatec. We can't ignore it!
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- The Central Council of German Sinti and Roma is deeply saddened by the death of Holocaust survivor and Roma civil rights activist Raymond Gurême
- Romani Union of Slovakia: Police brutality against children must be investigated by independent commission, the ministry could be biased
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities says she belives police brutality incident will be properly investigated, officer has been transferred
- Czech ultra-nationalist MP could evade prosecution for calling immigrant Muslims an "invasive species"
- North Macedonia: Investigation of death of pregnant Romani woman denied care for days despite being in labor
- France: Four Romani community members die of COVID-19, others are in critical condition
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Czech Police investigate distribution of antisemitic book after media reports
- European Court of Human Rights finds Slovak authorities did not properly investigate police brutality against Romani boy
- Memorial service for Czech civic activist tomorrow in Prague, event in her honor next week