Czech Police find no crime was committed in death of Romani man last fall
Czech Police have shelved the case of a young Romani man, Mr Miroslav Demeter, who died tragically on Tuesday, 18 October 2016 at around 19:00 in the Panamera Pizzeria in Žatec, Czech Republic. Police found no felony had been committed in relation to the incident.
News server Romea.cz has reviewed the police resolution on the case, which is more than 40 pages long and contains information from expert witness assessments and detailed eyewitness testimonies, as well as describing the video footage of the incident that the investigating detective had available. "It has been decided to suspend prosecution of the criminal matter of negligent homicide in the case of Miroslav Demeter because the culpability of a third party in his death was not found," Jindřich Koželuh, Deputy District State Prosecutor in Louny, told news server Romea.cz.
"In this matter there is no suspicion of a felony (tort) and it is not appropriate to deal with this matter in any other way," reads the resolution. The family of the deceased has now filed a complaint through their attorney against the resolution.
"We disagree with the suspension of the investigation into this case because, in our opinion, the police never dedicated proper care to it. Our arguments as to how we draw that conclusion are listed in our complaint," the father of the deceased told news server Romea.cz.
- Czech Police investigation of death threats against Romani celebrity continues, his brother targeted also
- Czech investigation into death of Romani man in a pizzeria will announce findings at press conference
- Romani family files complaint against Czech investigation of death
- Czech Republic: Investigation into Romani man's death continues as interethnic gulf widens
- Czech court sentences Romani man to prison for racist abuse while mourning a relative's death
- Commentary: Struggle for Freedom and Democracy Day in the Czech Republic after still-unexplained death of Romani man
- Council of Europe's Special Representative of the Secretary General for Roma Issues writes to Czech Interior Minister about death of a young Romani man
- Czech Gov't Roma Council calls on Interior Minister, Police President to thoroughly investigate death of Romani man in Žatec
- Hundreds around Czech Republic honor memory of dead Romani man, right-wing extremists assemble at site of his death, riot police deployed
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani demonstrators prevent Romani mourners from lighting candles at site of death, riot police prevent clashes
- Czech Republic: ROMEA journalist interviewed by Radio Wave about death of young Romani man
- Twelve assemblies announced internationally to mourn the death of young Romani man in Czech Republic
- Jan Horvát: Romani people must unite over the death in Žatec. We can't ignore it!
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Miroslav Kováč, former chair of the Equal Opportunities Party in the Czech Republic, has passed away after a long illness
- Czech Republic: Romani family harassed by xenophobic neighbors with vulgar abuse and threats
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- Czech Police send case of attack on Romani minors to Criminal Police to determine whether it was a felony
- England: Requiem mass held for Věra Bílá, the Queen of Romani Music