Czech Police indict bodybuilder who praised shooting of Romani man and made his own death threats
News server Lidovky.cz reported on 24 April that police in Chomutov, Czech Republic have proposed indicting bodybuilder Filip Grznár for felony approval of crime and violence committed against a group or its individual members. Last June the bodybuilder disseminated a video online in which he threatened local Roma in Chomutov with murder, expressed aggressive, vulgar opinions about the shooting death of a Romani man there, and expressed his backing for the man who murdered him.
Police have been investigating the video since then and police spokesperson Marie Pivková said their investigation is now complete. "The file will be completed on 24 April and sent to the State Prosecutor in Chomutov with a motion to indict the suspect for felony approval of crime and violence committed against a group or its individual members," she told Lidovky.cz.
Grznár made the video in reaction to the incident on 27 May 2017 that transpired at 3 AM at a housing estate in Chomutov. A local resident fired a pistol 13 times at a young Romani driving a van and killed him.
The shooter has been sentenced to 12.5 years in prison and insists he was doing his best to prevent terrorism because the young man, in his opinion, was driving his van into a group of people. From the police investigation and the trial, however, facts emerged to the contrary and the prosecutor rejected the idea that the shooter had acted in a situation of extreme danger or necessary self-defense.
The bodybuilder said the following in his video: "[The shooter] did a good deed. The problem is that the fucking Czech justice system will send him behind bars, it's horrible. The gypsies want to cause unrest and are threatening his family. If they do that, then I will go to Chomutov for those gypsies and murder them."
Grznár is famous for his indiscriminate vocabulary, his ungrammatical writing, his use of methamphetamine, and his love of the neo-Nazi clothing brand Thor Steiner. In one of his videos he invites the far right Czech MP Tomio Okamura to come work out with him.
- Commentary: Czech politician takes photo with extremists who have records of racist violence
- Czech Police charge bodybuilder with threatening Roma, he faces three years if convicted
- Czech Police investigating video in which non-Romani bodybuilder threatens Roma in Chomutov with murder
- Marian Dancso: Czech justice through the eyes of Filip Grznár, who threatens Roma with murder
- Polish Police investigating antisemitic graffiti at Auschwitz Memorial
- Czech Police charge two men over video in which one threatens to stab politician
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- Czech court upholds conviction for making dangerous threats after neighbor threatens to kill three Romani women and their children with an ax
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- Czech Police confirm football fans were behind Friday's attack on the Romani community of Sokolov
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: Investigate police response in Sokolov - it was inadequate and undermines trust in the police
- Brazil: Fatal altercation between police and Romani family launches campaign of mass murder against local Roma
- Slovakia: Drunken, knife-wielding man threatens to kill Romani children for being in a park and is now in custody
- Slovak Government apologizes to Romani community for brutal police raid in 2013