Czech Police indict bodybuilder who praised shooting of Romani man and made his own death threats
News server Lidovky.cz reported on 24 April that police in Chomutov, Czech Republic have proposed indicting bodybuilder Filip Grznár for felony approval of crime and violence committed against a group or its individual members. Last June the bodybuilder disseminated a video online in which he threatened local Roma in Chomutov with murder, expressed aggressive, vulgar opinions about the shooting death of a Romani man there, and expressed his backing for the man who murdered him.
Police have been investigating the video since then and police spokesperson Marie Pivková said their investigation is now complete. "The file will be completed on 24 April and sent to the State Prosecutor in Chomutov with a motion to indict the suspect for felony approval of crime and violence committed against a group or its individual members," she told Lidovky.cz.
Grznár made the video in reaction to the incident on 27 May 2017 that transpired at 3 AM at a housing estate in Chomutov. A local resident fired a pistol 13 times at a young Romani driving a van and killed him.
The shooter has been sentenced to 12.5 years in prison and insists he was doing his best to prevent terrorism because the young man, in his opinion, was driving his van into a group of people. From the police investigation and the trial, however, facts emerged to the contrary and the prosecutor rejected the idea that the shooter had acted in a situation of extreme danger or necessary self-defense.
The bodybuilder said the following in his video: "[The shooter] did a good deed. The problem is that the fucking Czech justice system will send him behind bars, it's horrible. The gypsies want to cause unrest and are threatening his family. If they do that, then I will go to Chomutov for those gypsies and murder them."
Grznár is famous for his indiscriminate vocabulary, his ungrammatical writing, his use of methamphetamine, and his love of the neo-Nazi clothing brand Thor Steiner. In one of his videos he invites the far right Czech MP Tomio Okamura to come work out with him.
- Commentary: Czech politician takes photo with extremists who have records of racist violence
- Czech Police charge bodybuilder with threatening Roma, he faces three years if convicted
- Czech Police investigating video in which non-Romani bodybuilder threatens Roma in Chomutov with murder
- Marian Dancso: Czech justice through the eyes of Filip Grznár, who threatens Roma with murder
- Slovak Interior Ministry Inspectorate begins prosecution of officer who assaulted Romani children
- Patrik Banga: Police officer who beat Romani children in Slovakia must be fired, he relied on "cigoši" not complaining
- Slovak President asks for explanation of incident in which police officer brutalized young children in Romani settlement
- Romanian chief of local police filmed beating handcuffed Romani men as they lie on the ground
- Slovak MEP from Romani community strongly condemns police beating of Romani children in quarantined settlement as unacceptable
- Slovak police officer said to have beaten five Romani children in Krompachy settlement and threatened to shoot them
- Czech media falsely accuse Romani mourners of breaking the law after cemetery employee calls police
- Slovak Police engage in yet another dubious intervention against Romani man who was smoking in front of his home without a face mask
- MEP Peter Pollák: I'm filing a motion with the Slovak Police Inspectorate over the intervention in the Romani community of Bardějov
- Slovak police harshly intervene against Romani people in Bardějov, make three arrests
- Slovakia's Romani settlements are very endangered by the COVID-19 pandemic, some have no access to potable water
- Slovak Plenipotentiary for Roma says Govt decision not to deliver benefits to Romani settlements is inhumane