Czech Police indict bodybuilder who praised shooting of Romani man and made his own death threats
News server Lidovky.cz reported on 24 April that police in Chomutov, Czech Republic have proposed indicting bodybuilder Filip Grznár for felony approval of crime and violence committed against a group or its individual members. Last June the bodybuilder disseminated a video online in which he threatened local Roma in Chomutov with murder, expressed aggressive, vulgar opinions about the shooting death of a Romani man there, and expressed his backing for the man who murdered him.
Police have been investigating the video since then and police spokesperson Marie Pivková said their investigation is now complete. "The file will be completed on 24 April and sent to the State Prosecutor in Chomutov with a motion to indict the suspect for felony approval of crime and violence committed against a group or its individual members," she told Lidovky.cz.
Grznár made the video in reaction to the incident on 27 May 2017 that transpired at 3 AM at a housing estate in Chomutov. A local resident fired a pistol 13 times at a young Romani driving a van and killed him.
The shooter has been sentenced to 12.5 years in prison and insists he was doing his best to prevent terrorism because the young man, in his opinion, was driving his van into a group of people. From the police investigation and the trial, however, facts emerged to the contrary and the prosecutor rejected the idea that the shooter had acted in a situation of extreme danger or necessary self-defense.
The bodybuilder said the following in his video: "[The shooter] did a good deed. The problem is that the fucking Czech justice system will send him behind bars, it's horrible. The gypsies want to cause unrest and are threatening his family. If they do that, then I will go to Chomutov for those gypsies and murder them."
Grznár is famous for his indiscriminate vocabulary, his ungrammatical writing, his use of methamphetamine, and his love of the neo-Nazi clothing brand Thor Steiner. In one of his videos he invites the far right Czech MP Tomio Okamura to come work out with him.
- Commentary: Czech politician takes photo with extremists who have records of racist violence
- Czech Police charge bodybuilder with threatening Roma, he faces three years if convicted
- Czech Police investigating video in which non-Romani bodybuilder threatens Roma in Chomutov with murder
- Marian Dancso: Czech justice through the eyes of Filip Grznár, who threatens Roma with murder
- Czech Police, prosecutors intensively focus on online haters, number of prosecutions rising
- Czech gunman who murdered Romani man in his own vehicle will serve 10 years
- Slovak Police arrest Czech citizen and two Slovak citizens on suspicion of extremism
- Czech town buying real estate in troubled neighborhoods for social housing development
- Czech town plans to demolish real estate rented to the socially vulnerable after altercation between long-term residents and newcomers
- Romania loses at the European Court of Human Rights, must compensate Roma family for police brutality
- Czech Police say most hate crimes last year were against Roma, number of antisemitic attacks declined
- Romani newcomers to Czech town decide to relocate after altercation and protest - despite police protection
- Czech Trade Inspection Authority found 13 cases of consumer discrimination last year - "No Roma, no young children..."
- Czech research finds excluded residents, including Roma, fall victim to crime more than others
- Polish prosecutor investigating anti-Jewish demonstration at the gates of Auschwitz
- Czech courts convict two people for racist online hate speech about newborn, three more are under investigation