Czech Police investigating brutal assault on Romani children as a misdemeanor for now
The Czech Police are investigating Sunday's brutal assault committed against Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou by two adults just as a misdemeanor against civic coexistence. Police spokesperson Miluše Zajícová informed news server Romea.cz of the decision yesterday.
Two adults, a man and a woman, brutally attacked several Romani minors during the incident on Sunday, 7 April. The man is said to have punched them in the chest and face, and eyewitnesses said he even kicked one child in the chest.
A 14-year-old boy ended up in hospital with a bruised back and a concussion, one girl's thoracic cavity was injured, and a 12-year-old girl ended up with a bruised spine and dislocated nose. The children's parents reported the assaults to police on 7 April, which news server Romea.cz confirmed.
"On Sunday in the early evening we received a report from the parents that their children had been physically assaulted in the Lipník nad Bečvou park by two adult individuals, a man and a woman. Overall, five children are said to have been attacked. The parents of two of the children had arranged for them to be treated in hospital, where one was treated and then released, while the other remained in the hospital for observation," the police spokesperson told Romea.cz.
"Currently we are undertaking our own investigation, interrogating people and verifying all the information available to us. The police are collaborating with the local authority, with a specialist on the Romani issue, and with crime prevention assistants in association with this case in order to calm the situation. For the time being, we're investigating this incident as a misdemeanor against civic coexistence," she said.
The man and woman assaulted the children on Sunday afternoon as they were playing in the park of the local chateau. There were roughly five more children at the scene, most of whom managed to escape being attacked.
"The woman assaulted them too. She slapped my daughter. I have already been to the police because what happened is horrible. Other children were beaten much more. One of the girls couldn't even breathe after that guy struck her in the chest. The police should have video footage from the CCTV cameras in the park," Martina Marejková, the mother of one of the attacked girls, told news server Romea.cz.
According to eyewitnesses, the man is said to have grabbed one of the girls by her hair and shouted "You black whore!" at her. When she asked him to leave her alone, he punched her in the face.
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Ten years after the Czech neo-Nazi arson attack on her Romani family, Natálka still suffers from nightmares and pain
- Czech terrorist allegedly a fanatical supporter of ultra-right party who has attacked Romani people in the past
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Slovak church bungles inclusion of Romani newcomer into First Communion ceremony, charges of racial discrimination being investigated
- Czech restaurant says reservations, not racism, were why a Romani group was not seated despite empty tables
- Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
- Czech court acquits football hooligans accused of assaulting dark-skinned man on Prague tram, prosecutor appeals
- Czech Senator compares environmental, gender equality, multiculturalism advocacy to racism and totalitarianism at Holocaust site
- Italy: Almost 1 000 Roma and Sinti march in Milan on Romani Resistance Day
- Pope stands up for Romani people attacked by (neo)Fascists in Rome who threatened rape