Czech Police investigating brutal assault on Romani children as a misdemeanor for now
The Czech Police are investigating Sunday's brutal assault committed against Romani children in Lipník nad Bečvou by two adults just as a misdemeanor against civic coexistence. Police spokesperson Miluše Zajícová informed news server Romea.cz of the decision yesterday.
Two adults, a man and a woman, brutally attacked several Romani minors during the incident on Sunday, 7 April. The man is said to have punched them in the chest and face, and eyewitnesses said he even kicked one child in the chest.
A 14-year-old boy ended up in hospital with a bruised back and a concussion, one girl's thoracic cavity was injured, and a 12-year-old girl ended up with a bruised spine and dislocated nose. The children's parents reported the assaults to police on 7 April, which news server Romea.cz confirmed.
"On Sunday in the early evening we received a report from the parents that their children had been physically assaulted in the Lipník nad Bečvou park by two adult individuals, a man and a woman. Overall, five children are said to have been attacked. The parents of two of the children had arranged for them to be treated in hospital, where one was treated and then released, while the other remained in the hospital for observation," the police spokesperson told Romea.cz.
"Currently we are undertaking our own investigation, interrogating people and verifying all the information available to us. The police are collaborating with the local authority, with a specialist on the Romani issue, and with crime prevention assistants in association with this case in order to calm the situation. For the time being, we're investigating this incident as a misdemeanor against civic coexistence," she said.
The man and woman assaulted the children on Sunday afternoon as they were playing in the park of the local chateau. There were roughly five more children at the scene, most of whom managed to escape being attacked.
"The woman assaulted them too. She slapped my daughter. I have already been to the police because what happened is horrible. Other children were beaten much more. One of the girls couldn't even breathe after that guy struck her in the chest. The police should have video footage from the CCTV cameras in the park," Martina Marejková, the mother of one of the attacked girls, told news server Romea.cz.
According to eyewitnesses, the man is said to have grabbed one of the girls by her hair and shouted "You black whore!" at her. When she asked him to leave her alone, he punched her in the face.
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Ten years after the Czech neo-Nazi arson attack on her Romani family, Natálka still suffers from nightmares and pain
- Czech terrorist allegedly a fanatical supporter of ultra-right party who has attacked Romani people in the past
- Pavel Botoš: Who will stop the use of terms like "cigoši" in the Czech Republic?
- Iveta Bílková: Czech society should not tolerate words like "Cigán", "Cigoši", etc.
- Roma are most frequently targeted by hatred on the Czech Internet, experts say the law applies online too
- Germany: Neo-Nazi kills two people near synagogue and kebab place, motivated by antisemitism and right-wing extremism
- Patrik Banga: Social media is depriving us of context and driving us all crazy
- Czech court gives suspended sentences and fines to "Bloc against Islamicization" followers over death threats to random pedestrians
- Czech court frees women charged with promoting Nazism more than a decade ago
- Czech court acquits man of using force against two racists who insulted him
- Czech Ice Hockey Union fines club because its fans called Romani player a "gypsy", cites World Romani Congress
- Romani educator at school serving infamous Czech housing estate wouldn't want to work anywhere else
- Czech Police recommend prosecuting woman who wore Nazi swastikas for supporting a movement to suppress human rights
- Czech Police say man and woman who committed racist attack against Romani children should be prosecuted