Czech Police investigating video in which non-Romani bodybuilder threatens Roma in Chomutov with murder
Police in Chomutov, Czech Republic have confirmed they have begun investigating the video recording in which the bodybuilder and Internet "celebrity" Filip Grznár comments on the recent murder of a Romani man there. "For the time being, an investigation is underway on suspicion of the crime of approving of a criminal act as per Section 365 Criminal Code, or perhaps incitement to hatred against a group of persons or restriction of their rights and freedoms as per Section 356 Criminal Code," police spokesperson Marie Pivková told news server Romea.cz yesterday.
"We are determining where the scene of the alleged crime was, but a criminal proceedings has yet to begin," the police spokesperson said. The video was published at the beginning of June on the bodybuilder's Instagram profile and shows him aggressively, vulgarly expressing his view about the death of the young Romani man, arguing in favor of the man who shot him, and threatening the Roma of Chomutov with murder.
The video was viewed more than 50 000 times during just three days and continues to be disseminated on YouTube and other social networks through different profiles. Grznár is infamous for his illiterate posts, his indiscriminate vocabulary, his use of methamphetamine, and his vogue for the neo-Nazi clothing label Thor Steiner.
In one of his videos he invites the ultra-right politician Tomio Okamura to lift weights with him. News server Romea.cz will continue to follow this scandal.
- Marian Dancso: Czech justice through the eyes of Filip Grznár, who threatens Roma with murder
- Analysis: Czech Police say situation after Chomutov shooting not tense, locals say otherwise
- Czech Republic: Family of Romani man shot dead in Chomutov doesn't want demonstrations
- Czech Republic: Vigil held for Romani man shot dead yesterday
- Czech firefighters erect another "tent city" for refugees in the Malešice neighborhood of Prague
- Open Society Foundations pledges to invest in new European Roma Foundation for 2023
- NGO director in Czech Republic says politicians' rhetoric about "inadaptable" Roma is dangerous, some non-Roma refugees from Ukraine are reportedly aggressive toward local Roma here
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Czech capital's "tent city" receives first Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Interior Minister wants stricter checks on the passports held by refugees and changes to the aid offered them
- Volunteer aiding refugees from Ukraine in Czech Republic: Institutionalized racism definitively condemns Romani people to a hopeless fate
- Czech detention facility housing 130+ refugees from Ukraine, half of them are Romani
- Prague asks the Czech state for aid with accommodation of groups of Romani refugees from Ukraine, mayor says the state's effort has failed so far
- Mayor of Czech Republic's second city alleges Romani refugees sleeping in the train station can access benefits in other countries, then admits she can't prove it
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: Police ignored whether the man they restrained was even alive, ambulance called too late