Czech Police investigating video in which non-Romani bodybuilder threatens Roma in Chomutov with murder
Police in Chomutov, Czech Republic have confirmed they have begun investigating the video recording in which the bodybuilder and Internet "celebrity" Filip Grznár comments on the recent murder of a Romani man there. "For the time being, an investigation is underway on suspicion of the crime of approving of a criminal act as per Section 365 Criminal Code, or perhaps incitement to hatred against a group of persons or restriction of their rights and freedoms as per Section 356 Criminal Code," police spokesperson Marie Pivková told news server Romea.cz yesterday.
"We are determining where the scene of the alleged crime was, but a criminal proceedings has yet to begin," the police spokesperson said. The video was published at the beginning of June on the bodybuilder's Instagram profile and shows him aggressively, vulgarly expressing his view about the death of the young Romani man, arguing in favor of the man who shot him, and threatening the Roma of Chomutov with murder.
The video was viewed more than 50 000 times during just three days and continues to be disseminated on YouTube and other social networks through different profiles. Grznár is infamous for his illiterate posts, his indiscriminate vocabulary, his use of methamphetamine, and his vogue for the neo-Nazi clothing label Thor Steiner.
In one of his videos he invites the ultra-right politician Tomio Okamura to lift weights with him. News server Romea.cz will continue to follow this scandal.
- Marian Dancso: Czech justice through the eyes of Filip Grznár, who threatens Roma with murder
- Analysis: Czech Police say situation after Chomutov shooting not tense, locals say otherwise
- Czech Republic: Family of Romani man shot dead in Chomutov doesn't want demonstrations
- Czech Republic: Vigil held for Romani man shot dead yesterday
- Slovakia: New Plenipotentiary for Roma to be Andrea Bučková
- Jan Horvát: Czech and Slovak Govts must immediately combat COVID-19 in excluded localities
- Slovak NGOs demand crisis plan from Govt to prevent COVID-19 pandemic in Romani communities, ombudswoman supports them
- France: Four Romani community members die of COVID-19, others are in critical condition
- North Macedonia selects just Romani people crossing the border for quarantine in unhygienic conditions
- Czech lower house committee suspends discussion of stripping ultranationalist MP of immunity from prosecution for xenophobic remarks
- Slovakia's TV Romana to be carried by the Orange TV satellite network
- Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed
- Author raising a Romani child says Czech Public Defender of Rights is racist and evil is slowly winning
- Museum of Romani Culture to present its project for a Center of the Roma and Sinti in the Czech capital
- Czech Prosecutor General working with OSCE to prosecute hate speech more effectively
- Hungarian PM announces "national consultation" about whether to compensate Romani families whose children were educated in segregated settings