Czech Police reconstruct murder of Romani man, shooter faces 20 years in prison if convicted
Czech Police performed a reconstruction during the night of Friday 11 August of the May murder of a Romani man at a housing estate in the town of Chomutov. The re-enactment involved the 37-year-old man who has been accused of the murder, supervising State Prosecutor Vladimír Jan told the Czech News Agency.
Police chose to do the reconstruction at night in order to recreate the conditions of the incident as closely as possible. If convicted, the man faces between 12 and 20 years in prison.
On 25 May around 3 AM, police say the man who has now been charged with the killing heard noise from the street, looked out the window, and saw a van crashing into parked cars. The driver then attempted to drive away, heading the van in the direction of his relatives standing in front of the building on the sidewalk, the people with whom he had been having an argument.
The man watching from the window immediately grabbed his licensed firearm, ran out in front of the building, and began to shoot at the van as it drove past, hitting the driver several times and causing him serious injuries from which he died at the scene. The shooter then waited for the police to arrive.
On 11 August, just after 2 AM, police officers began to arrive at the location of the May crime scene and closed off the connecting streets around the building in front of which the shooting happened. Besides detectives there were also police dogs and riot units.
An investigative attempt at reconstructing the events proceeded. Police re-enacted the shooting victim driving past the building in his van.
"The aim of this investigative attempt is to verify certain facts," Jan said. "The purpose of the reconstruction is to re-enact the entire course of the incident."
"The reconstruction involved the cooperation of the accused, without whom it would not have been possible," the supervising state prosecutor added. The accused demonstrated to detectives how he recalls the incident unfolding.
Detectives chose to re-enact what happened at almost the same time of day that the shooting took place. "That was for the purpose of recreating the conditions that prevailed at the time to the greatest possible extent," Jan said.
The detectives' work ended at about 5 AM. The legal qualification of the case remains unchanged.
The accused has been charged with murder under the second paragraph of the Criminal Code, and if convicted, he faces up to 20 years in prison. He has been in custody since the end of May, where he was remanded because the court was convinced he would influence eyewitnesses if at liberty.
- Analysis: Czech Police say situation after Chomutov shooting not tense, locals say otherwise
- Commentary on shooting of Romani man in Chomutov: How many more murder victims before the state learns how to respond?
- Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man now in custody
- Czech Republic: Shooter of Romani man faces between 12 and 20 years if convicted
- USA: Passer-by calls police on black man babysitting white children
- Local Romani assembly member in Czech town seeks re-election, recommends running to others
- Czech Inspector-General prosecuting two police officers for torturing Romani man into a false confession
- Czech convicted of racially-motivated murder of Romani man is running for mayor
- Czech appeals court reduces sentence for murder of Romani man to seven years, prosecutor calls it disproportionate, inhumane and unjust
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Independent Romani candidate collecting signatures to run for Czech Senate
- Slovak court convicts Romani victims of police raid for making allegedly false accusations of brutality
- Czech court acquits police officer, says use of force against Romani harvester was legal, state to appeal
- Slovak media have video footage of brutal attack that killed Filipino, suspect is in custody
- Slovakia: Filipino attempts to prevent harassment of women, harasser kicks him to death
- Slovak appeals court says video of police abuse of Romani children must be admitted into evidence
Tags:Chomutov, Policie, Vražda, vyšetřování
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.