Czech Police say assault on Muslim women in Prague by aggressive woman was a misdemeanor
The case of an attack on two Muslim women as they were on their way to the Divoká Šárka aquapark in Prague has been assessed by police as a misdemeanor. The Muslim women were chaperoning 13 children on a trip when they were photographed by a woman who then assaulted one of them both physically and verbally when they asked her to stop taking their picture.
"I believe there should be more intensive investigation of the motivation for that attack," said Klára Kalibová, a lawyer and director of the In IUSTITIA organization, when asked by Czech Television what she made of the police's conclusion. Verbally abusing others in public because of their assumed race or religion meets the definition of a crime, according to the relevant statute.
Tomáš Hulan, spokesperson for the Prague Police, told Czech Television that officers assessed the matter in full and came to the conclusion that the behavior described met the definition of a misdemeanor. The police are not, however, ruling out the option for the qualification of the incident to be changed.
- Analysis: Burkinis once symbolized happiness and health - why do they now mean terrorism?
- Woman assaults two headscarf-wearing women in Czech capital as they take children to swim
- Some Czech Internet users outraged by photos of Muslim women swimming in burkinis, facility says no rules were broken
- Czech anti-Islam movement figures experience some social exclusion of their own
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Ukraine: Aggressive armed man from the extremist Azov Battalion disrupts human rights discussion in Kyiv
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Czech Republic: Romani family harassed by xenophobic neighbors with vulgar abuse and threats
- Report from Prague's anti-EU demonstration: The little guys on all sides
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- Czech Police send case of attack on Romani minors to Criminal Police to determine whether it was a felony
- Czech Police investigating brutal assault on Romani children as a misdemeanor for now
- Czech Police release video footage to find assailants of foreign national in Brno
- Czech Police: Election slogan about "pests" and "poison" a misdemeanor, use of "riff-raff" ok
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify