Czech Police say autopsy finds young Romani man's death was not caused by a third party
The Czech Police are asserting that the initial findings of a court-ordered autopsy have not ascertained any third-party culpability for the death of a young Romani man at a pizzeria in Žatec. The man died on 18 October, shortly after 19:00, after getting into a scuffle with other customers which local police officers intervened in also.
"According to the initial findings of the court-ordered autopsy, no third-party culpability was ascertained. All of the circumstances of this case remain the subject of further investigation by detectives in Louny," state police spokesperson Jaromíra Střelcová said.
According to the eyewitnesses contacted by news server Romea.cz, the young Romani man allegedly behaved very strangely and unpredictably after arriving at the pizzeria. Some sources say he was also aggressive.
Allegedly the man approached a table where several girls were sitting and bothered them. One version of events describes somebody then kicking the young Romani man in the neck.
Four other people are then said to have assaulted him. The eyewitnesses have speculated that the assailants knew martial arts.
According to other information, local police also beat the youth after arriving at the scene, after which he collapsed. Yesterday mourners assembled in Louny and in Žatec to memorialize the young man's death.
More than 30 people met in Louny, while as many as 100 Romani people assembled directly in front of the pizzeria in question in Žatec after 16:00. Another assembly in front of the pizzeria had already gathered on Wednesday as well to mourn the incident.
According to a local newspaper, the police have undertaken security measures with respect to the memorial gatherings. Representatives of the local authority in Žatec have been on hand to follow the course of the assemblies.
- Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Czech court says police not responsible for death of Romani man
- Czech Republic: New expert witness provides yet another explanation why Romani man died after police intervention
- Czech Republic: 200+ people attend funeral of Romani man who died after police intervention, protest march planned
- Czech Republic: Has a Romani man died as a result of police brutality?
- Czech Republic: Romani mother does not believe her son died a natural death after police intervention
- Czech Republic: Police claim young Romani man died of natural causes
- Czech local politicians hold stormy meeting with non-Romani and Romani residents where long-refuted antigypsyist hoaxes and stereotypes resurface
- Famous Roma Rights Activist László Bogdán Has Passed Away
- Chair of the Pirate Party in the Czech Republic stands up for Romani activist assaulted by hateful attackers
- Romani activist, journalist, poet and translator Jan Döme Horváth has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romanian chief of local police filmed beating handcuffed Romani men as they lie on the ground
- Romani Union of Slovakia: Police brutality against children must be investigated by independent commission, the ministry could be biased
- Slovak Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities says she belives police brutality incident will be properly investigated, officer has been transferred
- Czech ultra-nationalist MP could evade prosecution for calling immigrant Muslims an "invasive species"
- Slovak police harshly intervene against Romani people in Bardějov, make three arrests
- German Interior Minister: Hanau terrorist attack motivated by racism, neo-Nazis have attacked three times in just a few months
- Czech Police arrest opponents of new ombudsman who blockaded his access to the office on his first day
- Czech Police investigate distribution of antisemitic book after media reports