Czech Police say autopsy finds young Romani man's death was not caused by a third party
The Czech Police are asserting that the initial findings of a court-ordered autopsy have not ascertained any third-party culpability for the death of a young Romani man at a pizzeria in Žatec. The man died on 18 October, shortly after 19:00, after getting into a scuffle with other customers which local police officers intervened in also.
"According to the initial findings of the court-ordered autopsy, no third-party culpability was ascertained. All of the circumstances of this case remain the subject of further investigation by detectives in Louny," state police spokesperson Jaromíra Střelcová said.
According to the eyewitnesses contacted by news server Romea.cz, the young Romani man allegedly behaved very strangely and unpredictably after arriving at the pizzeria. Some sources say he was also aggressive.
Allegedly the man approached a table where several girls were sitting and bothered them. One version of events describes somebody then kicking the young Romani man in the neck.
Four other people are then said to have assaulted him. The eyewitnesses have speculated that the assailants knew martial arts.
According to other information, local police also beat the youth after arriving at the scene, after which he collapsed. Yesterday mourners assembled in Louny and in Žatec to memorialize the young man's death.
More than 30 people met in Louny, while as many as 100 Romani people assembled directly in front of the pizzeria in question in Žatec after 16:00. Another assembly in front of the pizzeria had already gathered on Wednesday as well to mourn the incident.
According to a local newspaper, the police have undertaken security measures with respect to the memorial gatherings. Representatives of the local authority in Žatec have been on hand to follow the course of the assemblies.
- Czech Republic: Two local assemblies memorialize Romani man's death
- Czech Republic: Young Romani man has died after a scuffle, no charges filed yet
- Czech court says police not responsible for death of Romani man
- Czech Republic: New expert witness provides yet another explanation why Romani man died after police intervention
- Czech Republic: 200+ people attend funeral of Romani man who died after police intervention, protest march planned
- Czech Republic: Has a Romani man died as a result of police brutality?
- Czech Republic: Romani mother does not believe her son died a natural death after police intervention
- Czech Republic: Police claim young Romani man died of natural causes
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Czech court acquits man of using force against two racists who insulted him
- Czech Police recommend prosecuting woman who wore Nazi swastikas for supporting a movement to suppress human rights
- Czech court says police officer who beat Romani worker did not commit a felony
- Czech film of "The Painted Bird" features Romani child actor in the main role
- Last survivor of Czech students sent to Sachsenhausen concentration camp has passed away in the Czech Republic
- European Roma Rights Centre gives legal aid to victims alleging Slovak police brutality
- Czech off-duty police officer assaults Romani children for smoking
- Slovakia: Video of police intervention against Roma at gas station goes viral, sparks protests
- Czech senior citizen threatens arson against Romani neighbors for playing loud music
- Czech court to try Islamophobes who attacked Muslim couple in a park last year
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic