Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
The Academic Center of Student Activities, based in Brno, Czech Republic, has launched a portal, chcipomoct.cz ("I Want To Help") where both individuals and organizations who need aid as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic and volunteers offering their assistance can sign up. The portal should serve the purpose of easily categorizing and distributing volunteer help, the director of the center, Jaroslav Švec, told the Czech News Agency.
The portal was created by the center's 15-member team in collaboration with several mayors and organizers of aid. "Our effort is to coordinate, to the greatest possible degree, the demand and the supply and to contribute toward assistance reaching those in need as soon as possible in the safest possible way," the director said.
Volunteers can now click on an easy electronic form to communicate what they would like to help with, such as sewing face masks, arranging for social contact with senior citizens, shopping, taking dogs for walks, or babysitting and tutoring children. The options can be expanded according to demand.
"We are still aggregating the inquiries, above all from mayors, and we are communicating with associations that provide aid in order to ascertain what people need the most. Our team is prepared to flexibly respond to real-time situations and to continually upgrade the form according to the calls for assistance that prove to be most in demand in the days to come," the director said; many other institutions are also helping coordinate volunteers, for example, several universities are doing so on a mass scale.
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- Coronavirus pandemic can make conditions in the Romani settlements of Slovakia deadly, protective gear slow to reach those who need it
- Coronavirus-related HOAX in the Czech language alleges USA is moving troops to Europe
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed
- Czech Government measures to prevent coronavirus close museums and theaters, including Museum of Romani Culture
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- Czech intelligence report on extremism mentions welfare chauvinist party as a populist, xenophobic entity once more, COVID-19 was the main focus of 2021
- Czech disinformation scene sharing pro-Kremlin lies and propaganda, including from opposition and extremist politicians
- HOAX: Footage from Austrian television is not related to COVID-19, but shows climate activists demonstrating in Vienna
- Excluded Roma in Slovakia have died of COVID-19 more than non-Roma due to low rates of vaccination, their employment rates have also stagnated
- COVID-19 impacts impoverish most of humanity while the assets of the ultra-rich expand
- Czech biologist says COVID-19 Omicron variant has no problem defeating our immunity
- Community spread of Omicron reported from socially excluded locality in the Czech Republic
- Their mother almost died of COVID-19, but brothers in Czech Republic believe they have since convinced hundreds in their family to get vaccinated
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- German counter-intelligence says right-wing extremist numbers growing as people radicalize in response to COVID-19
- Czech regions combat COVID-19 disinformation in socially excluded localities as hospitalizations soar
- Czech NGO starts campaign to support education of Romani children and non-Roma who are socially disadvantaged