Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
The Academic Center of Student Activities, based in Brno, Czech Republic, has launched a portal, chcipomoct.cz ("I Want To Help") where both individuals and organizations who need aid as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic and volunteers offering their assistance can sign up. The portal should serve the purpose of easily categorizing and distributing volunteer help, the director of the center, Jaroslav Švec, told the Czech News Agency.
The portal was created by the center's 15-member team in collaboration with several mayors and organizers of aid. "Our effort is to coordinate, to the greatest possible degree, the demand and the supply and to contribute toward assistance reaching those in need as soon as possible in the safest possible way," the director said.
Volunteers can now click on an easy electronic form to communicate what they would like to help with, such as sewing face masks, arranging for social contact with senior citizens, shopping, taking dogs for walks, or babysitting and tutoring children. The options can be expanded according to demand.
"We are still aggregating the inquiries, above all from mayors, and we are communicating with associations that provide aid in order to ascertain what people need the most. Our team is prepared to flexibly respond to real-time situations and to continually upgrade the form according to the calls for assistance that prove to be most in demand in the days to come," the director said; many other institutions are also helping coordinate volunteers, for example, several universities are doing so on a mass scale.
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- Coronavirus pandemic can make conditions in the Romani settlements of Slovakia deadly, protective gear slow to reach those who need it
- Coronavirus-related HOAX in the Czech language alleges USA is moving troops to Europe
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed
- Czech Government measures to prevent coronavirus close museums and theaters, including Museum of Romani Culture
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- ROMEA announces Romani Scholarship Program for 2020/2021 in the Czech Republic
- Romani doctor in Czech Republic: As long as we never appear in such positions, nothing will change
- Rina Caldari: The "Corona Rebels" - Conspiracy Theories from the Far Right
- Czech expatriate Romani community in the UK targeted by social media hoaxes to create demand to leave because of COVID-19
- Czech health official's ignorant claim about COVID-19 response in Romani settlements in Slovakia prompts pushback from MEP
- Slovakia: Romani settlement celebrates lifting of across-the-board quarantine now that infected individuals and their loved ones have been isolated
- Slovakia: Six more inhabitants of Romani settlement test positive for COVID-19, are relocated to facility
- Slovakia: COVID-19 still spreading in Roma settlement, quarantine center will be built there and across-the-board testing undertaken
- Slovak Interior Ministry Inspectorate begins prosecution of officer who assaulted Romani children
- Slovak MEP and Govt Plenipotentiary for Romani Communities file crime report over assault on Romani children in Krompachy
- Slovakia: Three Romani communities in Krompachy out of COVID-19 quarantine, movement restrictions only remain in Žehra
- Patrik Banga: Police officer who beat Romani children in Slovakia must be fired, he relied on "cigoši" not complaining