Czech portal chcipomoct.cz connects those who need aid with volunteers during COVID-19 pandemic
The Academic Center of Student Activities, based in Brno, Czech Republic, has launched a portal, chcipomoct.cz ("I Want To Help") where both individuals and organizations who need aid as a consequence of the COVID-19 pandemic and volunteers offering their assistance can sign up. The portal should serve the purpose of easily categorizing and distributing volunteer help, the director of the center, Jaroslav Švec, told the Czech News Agency.
The portal was created by the center's 15-member team in collaboration with several mayors and organizers of aid. "Our effort is to coordinate, to the greatest possible degree, the demand and the supply and to contribute toward assistance reaching those in need as soon as possible in the safest possible way," the director said.
Volunteers can now click on an easy electronic form to communicate what they would like to help with, such as sewing face masks, arranging for social contact with senior citizens, shopping, taking dogs for walks, or babysitting and tutoring children. The options can be expanded according to demand.
"We are still aggregating the inquiries, above all from mayors, and we are communicating with associations that provide aid in order to ascertain what people need the most. Our team is prepared to flexibly respond to real-time situations and to continually upgrade the form according to the calls for assistance that prove to be most in demand in the days to come," the director said; many other institutions are also helping coordinate volunteers, for example, several universities are doing so on a mass scale.
- Czech socially excluded localities see limited services due to COVID-19, nonprofit staffers lack protective gear
- Coronavirus pandemic can make conditions in the Romani settlements of Slovakia deadly, protective gear slow to reach those who need it
- Coronavirus-related HOAX in the Czech language alleges USA is moving troops to Europe
- Director of EU FRA: Racism has no place in combating coronavirus, human rights limitations must be proportionate
- Czech Republic declares state of emergency over coronavirus pandemic, International Romani Day celebrations postponed
- Czech Government measures to prevent coronavirus close museums and theaters, including Museum of Romani Culture
- EP cancels Roma Week, online consultation about Roma strategy even more important now
- Czech MP publishes collage comparing vaccinations against COVID-19 to the Holocaust and using imagery of the gate at Auschwitz
- COMMENTARY: Romale, Bill Gates does not want to track you, vaccinations against COVID-19 will not kill you and do not involve microchips
- Czech churches condemn those wearing yellow Stars of David at anti-vaxxer events, call on them to apologize
- Czech Federation of Jewish Communities: Yellow Star of David at Prague demonstration is textbook abuse and relativization of a Holocaust symbol
- Czech capital sees demonstration in support of Trump and against COVID-19 pandemic suppression measures by the same extremists who march against the Roma
- Czech Pirates criticize Govt report on education of Romani children for not reflecting COVID-19 impact and lack of access to distance learning
- MEP Peter Pollák, a Romani community member from Slovakia, posts footage of his vaccination against COVID-19 to combat conspiracy theories influencing the community
- The other Czech pandemic: Disinformation about anti-COVID vaccination. Romea.cz refutes the most frequent hoaxes and manipulations
- Slovak quarantine measures in Romani settlement are over, police and soldiers no longer on guard there
- Fundraiser underway in Czech Republic for Romani taxi driver who was one of the country's first serious COVID-19 patients
- Slovakia closes Romani settlement because of COVID-19, police and soldiers deployed
- COVID-19 virus mutation means Czech Republic introducing quarantine for arrivals from Britain, flights stop today at noon