Czech president of lower house says Public Defender of Rights was unable to justify his recent unprecedented decisions to the Committee on Petitions
The Czech Public Defender of Rights, Stanislav Křeček, attended a session of the Committee on Petitions in the Chamber of Deputies today and, according to the president of the lower house and chair of the TOP 09 party, MP Markéta Pekarová Adamová, he did not sufficiently justify why he has decided to revoke the agendas previously assigned to Deputy Public Defender of Rights Monika Šimůnková. Pekarová Adamová has tweeted her assessment of the meeting.
The vice-president of the Chamber of Deputies, MP Olga Richterová (Pirates), has also said Křeček provided no provable, specific reproaches about how the Deputy Public Defender of Rights has been doing her job to the committee. The Czech News Agency is contacting other members of the committee for their comments.
"Today, at the Committee on Petitions in the Chamber of Deputies, Mr Křeček, the ombudsman, was incapable of sufficiently justifying his unprecedented moves. He also did not explain how he attempted to forestall this outcome," the president of the lower house tweeted.
The Committee on Petitions will continue on Wednesday and Šimůnková will attend, according to Pekarová Adamová. MP Richterová has tweeted the following: "From my perspective, no specific, provable reproaches about the deputy's work were submitted."
"We will see how the others who were present assess it. Ms Šimůnková will attend a similar discussion next week," Richterová tweeted.
Křeček has taken the agenda away from Šimůnková and alleged that "complications" of a managerial and personal nature have accompanied her work; she has said that she plans to ask the Chamber of Deputies to review that decision. She is also considering a lawsuit over some of Křeček's remarks about her.
Šimůnková considers the decision to withdraw the agenda to be an unprecedented interference with the Deputy Public Defender of Rights position and as the culmination of longstanding problems between herself and Křeček. The two have disagreed, for example, on the issue of fathers being allowed to be present in delivery rooms during the birth of their children in hospitals, or parents being allowed to stay with their hospitalized children.
Křeček has led the Office of the Public Defender of Rights since February 2020. The Senate has recently called on him to stop making racist, xenophobic remarks, finding in a resolution that he is doing damage to the office of the ombudsman.
The senators also called on Křeček to behave courteously toward Šimůnková. The law on the Public Defender of Rights establishes that the holder of that post is able to entrust the Deputy Public Defender of Rights with executing some of the activities of the office.
Křeček has said that in an attempt to "stabilize" the functioning of the institution, he will no longer be taking advantage of the opportunity to entrust the Deputy Public Defender of Rights with some of the agenda. The decision to revoke all of the agendas previously entrusted to Šimůnková took effect on 1 July.
- Leader of the Czech lower house wants explanation in person from Public Defender of Rights about how he has treated the Deputy Public Defender of Rights
- Former Czech ombudswoman says she believes ombudsman depriving deputy of her agenda was likely an act of revenge and she should ask the lower house to act
- Czech Public Defender of Rights criticized by Romani figures, they believe the lower house should intervene
- Czech Senator Adéla Šípová calls for Stanislav Křeček to resign as Public Defender of Rights
- Czech PM to ask Public Defender of Rights to explain his decision to remove agendas from his Deputy, other politicians in governing coalition criticize that decision as well
- Czech NGO consortium RomanoNet calls on lower house to dismiss Stanislav Křeček as Public Defender of Rights
- Czech Public Defender of Rights takes agenda away from Deputy Public Defender of Rights, she is considering suing him for defamation
- Czech Senate adopts resolution condemning the Public Defender of Rights for repeatedly making biased, xenophobic remarks
- Office of the Public Defender of Rights finds discrimination against Romani refugees from Ukraine at aid center in Czech capital
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: Police ignored whether the man they restrained was even alive, ambulance called too late
- Roma Luma leaders: Romani refugees from Ukraine are discriminated in the Czech Republic. Regional Governors and ombudsman: These are economic migrants
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: I wish all Romani men and women the very best for their day today, with all my heart!
- Czech extremist praises ombudsman for objecting to Ukrainian President Zelenskyy, deputy ombudswoman criticizes those objections
- Caritas Czech Republic distances itself from ombudsman's words about unemployed people: "Healthy white males" find work, but society is more diverse than that
- Commentary: I'd like a Czech ombudsman who solves problems instead of adding fuel to the fire
- European Commission: Czech ombudsman's discriminatory remarks are of serious concern, we will take action
- Patrik Banga on the Czech ombudsman's populism: The Roma warned that ghettos were growing here more than 20 years ago and nobody listened to us!
- Jarmila Balážová further reveals Czech ombudsmans incompetence and lack of professionalism during discussion on CNN Prima News
- Marián Dancso, educator, municipal council member and Romani community member, says Czech ombudsman should resign
- Jaroslav Miko: How long will the Czech ombudsman keep exploiting anti-Romani sentiment?
- Nikola Taragoš: We want the Czech ombudsman removed for his repeated attacks on Romani people, he does not understand exclusion and is a populist
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights finds police officers made significant errors in the controversial arrest of Stanislav Tomáš
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights discusses compensation procedure for forced sterilizations in interview for ROMEA TV
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights will investigate controversial police intervention after which Romani community member Stanislav Tomáš died
- Synodal Council of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren calls on ombudsman to apologize for anti-Romani remarks
- Czech ombudsman attacks ROMEA organization for criticizing racist joke by incoming Chief Public Health Officer
- Czech NGO director tells ombudsman he should resign for refusing to acknowledge discrimination against Roma
- Czech organizations insist the lower house and Prime Minister reject the anti-Romani remarks of the ombudsman
- Czech Public Defender of Rights meets Romani community member Štěpán Kavur of the Buči association
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights says Public Defender of Rights is publicly misrepresenting what she said to him
- Czech Govt Human Rights Commissioner tells ROMEA TV ombudsman is wrong to say Roma not involved with Strategy, removal of his deputy from councils makes no sense
- Czech ombudsman claims his deputy was not appointed to Govt councils, Romea.cz has proof that is not true
- Czech ombudsman removes his deputy from Govt councils after she disagrees with his official comments on the Roma Strategy
- Czech Government Agency for Social Inclusion informs ombudsman that 82 % of communities where they work are satisfied
- Czech/Romani NGO tells Public Defender of Rights his remarks on Human Rights Day are a disgrace
- COMMENTARY: Even if the Czech Public Defender of Rights repeats the same lie about Roma a thousand times, that won't make it true
- Czech Public Defender of Rights says he is against "special treatment" for Romani people
- Amnesty International criticizes Czech discrimination of Roma, Public Defender of Rights says AI is "biased"
- Czech Police investigating local fake election campaign fliers insulting Romani people
- UN Committee: Racial discrimination against Romani people persists unabated in Slovakia
- Russia accuses the Czech Republic of disseminating neo-Nazism, racism and xenophobia - no word on whether there is a plan to "de-Nazify" the country as they claim to do in Ukraine
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights has decided to resign by the end of August
- Romanian court hands down a scandalous decision: Roma woman who was beaten up by a minibus driver has to pay a fine
- German MEP of Romani origin Romeo Franz: The situation for Roma in Ukraine is shocking, I could not believe Roma live in such conditions in Europe
- CNN: Czech Republic has discriminated against Romani refugees from Ukraine, updated data refute the myth that they all hold dual citizenship
- Czech research finds one-third of Romani refugees from Ukraine have experienced discrimination here, most children are not in education, dual citizenship has not been "abused" by them
- Hungary's Jewish Community protests PM Orbán's racist speech in which he said Hungarians don't want to become a "mixed-race" nation
- Czech volunteers say second-largest city has broken its agreement by closing camp used by Romani refugees from Ukraine near Grand Hotel
- New handbook describes how to intervene against daily hatred and racism in the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands
- Czech local candidates who quit the "Mayors and Independents" party have secured enough signatures to run as independents