Czech President Zeman re-elected
Miloš Zeman has been re-elected President of the Czech Republic. He won 51.36 % of the vote, 1 % less than five years ago.
The incumbent had an advantage over his rival already from the first preliminary results. After the first 5 % of precincts were counted he was ahead with roughly 58 % of the votes tallied.
Gradually his gains fell below 52 %. Five years ago he won with 54.8 % of the vote.
Despite losing 1 % of the total returns compared to 2013, due to increased voter turnout Zeman received more votes in absolute terms than he did during the final round in 2013. Back then he was elected by about 2.7 million people, while today he was elected by approximately 2.8 million.
Zeman won in 10 regions, while his opponent, Drahoš, won in four regions including Prague. Drahoš also won the vote of Czechs living abroad.
Voters preferred Drahoš in the Central Bohemian, Hradec Králové, and Liberec Regions. Zeman won all the rest, most significantly in the Moravian-Silesian Region.
The final round of voting involved a record turnout, with participation in excess of 66 % after 97 % of precincts had been counted. Five years ago just 59 % of voters cast ballots in the final round.
- Czech antigypsyist ultra-right party expresses support for incumbent in presidential race
- First round of Czech presidential elections saw low turnout in socially excluded localities
- Czech President attempts to smear opponent as "pro-immigration" - but their views are the same on that issue
- Czech presidential candidate Horáček thanks Roma for voting, supports Drahoš in second round
- Czech institute reminds President that welfare restrictions have applied for more than a decade now
- Czech PM, extremists praise Czech President's Christmas speech, presidential candidates criticize it
- Czech President shakes his fist during Christmas speech, references "inadaptables", rejects early elections
- Czech President will address national convention of xenophobic SPD party
- Slovakia: At-home quarantine not functional in Romani-inhabited settlements, COVID-19 infected persons to be taken to state-run facilities
- European Commission calls for public recommendations about its Framework for National Roma Inclusion Strategies by 16 March
- Slovak President Čaputová awards Romani doctor and human rights activist with state honors
- Romani community member Jozef Facuna has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani musician Jan Surmaj has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Slovak President-elect creates minority adviser team, Roma represented by Jurina Rusnáková and Viktor Teru
- Unsubstantiated allegations about democratic parties being shared by Czech Internet users in the runup to European elections
- Slovakia has elected its first female President - Čaputová thanks voters in Romanes again
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY from the Czech Republic: Funeral of the Queen of Romani Music, Věra Bílá
- Slovak Presidential elections: Frontrunner speaks Romanes when thanking first-round voters
- Věra Bílá, legendary singer from the Romani community, has passed away in the Czech Republic
- Romani sisters launch new music video in the Czech Republic