Czech presidential candidate Horáček thanks Roma for voting, supports Drahoš in second round
Speaking through a video message published by the Romea.cz news server on 13 January, Czech presidential candidate Michal Horáček thanked Romani voters for their support during the first round of the presidential election. He also called on them to support Jiří Drahoš in the second round of voting.
Horáček said he was offering the challenger to incumbent Czech President Zeman the billboard space that he had reserved for campaign advertising between the first and second rounds. "Dear Romani friends, I am glad that I have been able to visit you during my campaign," he said in a video message for news server Romea.cz.
"Please do not ignore the second round of voting. Mr Ing. Zeman is not a person who has your interests at heart," he warned.
"Do go to the polls and vote for his challenger, give your votes to Mr Professor Jiří Drahoš," Horáček said. "We have received so many beautiful messages from Romani people that I have really been moved."
Horáček went on to say that it is necessary to see Romani children's talents made use of and that they do not necessarily always receive a good quality education thanks to their difficult circumstances."We are wasting the talents of so many people," he said.
"This society has a big task ahead of it, to give those people a chance," he told Romea.cz. Horáček, who won more than 9 % of the vote during the first round and ended up in fourth place, also told journalists that he had given his all to his campaign and taken it seriously.
The pre-election debate among the eight challengers to Zeman, in his view, had contributed a more cultivated discussion of issues to the national conversation. "We have managed to raise new subject matter which, I hope, will remain part of Czech politics," Horáček said.
- Czech presidential election second round will apparently be Drahoš v Zeman
- Czech presidential candidate welcomes buyout of farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma
- More Romani figures announce their presidential favorites - still definitely not Zeman
- Which Czech presidential candidate will Romani voters choose? Apparently not Zeman
- Czech firefighters erect another "tent city" for refugees in the Malešice neighborhood of Prague
- Open Society Foundations pledges to invest in new European Roma Foundation for 2023
- NGO director in Czech Republic says politicians' rhetoric about "inadaptable" Roma is dangerous, some non-Roma refugees from Ukraine are reportedly aggressive toward local Roma here
- Romania: 100 Roma demonstrate in Bucharest in front of Russian Embassy with mockup of the tank that Romani Ukrainians captured from the occupiers
- Czech capital's "tent city" receives first Romani refugees from Ukraine
- Czech university distances itself from e-mail alleging increased security needed for dorm because of refugees from Ukraine
- Czech Interior Minister wants stricter checks on the passports held by refugees and changes to the aid offered them
- Volunteer aiding refugees from Ukraine in Czech Republic: Institutionalized racism definitively condemns Romani people to a hopeless fate
- Czech detention facility housing 130+ refugees from Ukraine, half of them are Romani
- Prague asks the Czech state for aid with accommodation of groups of Romani refugees from Ukraine, mayor says the state's effort has failed so far
- Mayor of Czech Republic's second city alleges Romani refugees sleeping in the train station can access benefits in other countries, then admits she can't prove it
- Czech Deputy Public Defender of Rights: Police ignored whether the man they restrained was even alive, ambulance called too late