Czech presidential candidate says pig farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma must be demolished
Michal Horáček has published a video on his official Facebook profile in which he makes an absolutely clear statement about the pig farm that now stands on the site of the former concentration camp at Lety u Písku. "That pig farm must be demolished! It must! What should be here is an empty space that we will fill with remembrance and empathy," the candidate in next year's presidential elections said.
The reference to an "empty space" is Horáček's response to recent remarks by Czech President Zeman asserting that moving the farm would harm the Czech national economy. "Do you want to build empty spaces?" he asked the General Director of the Barrandov cable television channel, Jaromír Soukup, in a recent interview.
"I am standing at a place where 245 of our children perished. According to a directive dated 10 July 1942 more than 400 people were transported from here to the gas chambers as part of the Nazi'S 'Final Solution'," his Facebook post reads.
The video has been filmed inside a replica of the prisoners' sleeping quarters that was recently installed at the current memorial. "What you can't perceive from this video, unlike me, is the indescribable stench from the pig farm that was established here at one point by the communist regime. Let's finally allow the good and the empathetic in us to come out. Let's compensate the owners to move the pig farm elsewhere, and let's organize an 'empty space' here that we fill with reverent remembrance," the candidate said.
"To fair-minded people, it is unimaginable that flies and an enormous stench should be here at the site of such suffering. Imagine if it was like this at Auschwitz, or at the Kobyliská střelnice [a shooting range near Prague where executions were carried out by the Nazis], or at Lidice or Ležáky," Horáček says in the video.
- Miloš Zeman circa 1998: CZK 600 million to build a memorial instead of a pig farm is "negligible amount"
- Czech President Zeman is in favor of leaving pig farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech Justice Minister says moving pig farm from Roma genocide camp may require expropriation
- US Chargé d’Affaires at Roma Holocaust site: I pay tribute to the Czech Government's pledge to solve the problem of the pig farm
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council call on voters not to re-elect Zeman
- It's official! Czech state to pay roughly CZK 450 million to buy out pig farm on Roma genocide site
- Czech Republic: Museum of Romani Culture says contract to buy pig farm on genocide site will be signed after elections
- Czech company that owns pig farm on Roma genocide site will appeal order to return subsidy due to EU anti-fraud investigation
- Romani activist Čeněk Růžička receives prestigious Artis Bohemiae Amicis award, Czech Culture Minister promises current Govt will buy pig farm
- Documentary film about Romani activist Jožka Miker brings his energy to the screen
- Commentary: By honoring Zeman, US Jewish organization is promoting the fascisization of Czech society
- Czech state not signing pig farm contract today after all, money will come from next year's budget
- UN Human Rights Regional Office for Europe welcomes Czech Govt genocide site buyout, calls for illegally sterilized women to be compensated
- Czech Human Rights Minister says Govt will sign contract to buy pig farm on Roma genocide site next week
- Czech Republic: Pig farm shareholders to vote again on sale before year-end
- Some Romani activists do not want future genocide memorial at Lety to be run by the Czech state
Tags:Lety u Písku, Michal Horáček, President, Prezidentské volby
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.