Czech presidential candidate says pig farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma must be demolished
Michal Horáček has published a video on his official Facebook profile in which he makes an absolutely clear statement about the pig farm that now stands on the site of the former concentration camp at Lety u Písku. "That pig farm must be demolished! It must! What should be here is an empty space that we will fill with remembrance and empathy," the candidate in next year's presidential elections said.
The reference to an "empty space" is Horáček's response to recent remarks by Czech President Zeman asserting that moving the farm would harm the Czech national economy. "Do you want to build empty spaces?" he asked the General Director of the Barrandov cable television channel, Jaromír Soukup, in a recent interview.
"I am standing at a place where 245 of our children perished. According to a directive dated 10 July 1942 more than 400 people were transported from here to the gas chambers as part of the Nazi'S 'Final Solution'," his Facebook post reads.
The video has been filmed inside a replica of the prisoners' sleeping quarters that was recently installed at the current memorial. "What you can't perceive from this video, unlike me, is the indescribable stench from the pig farm that was established here at one point by the communist regime. Let's finally allow the good and the empathetic in us to come out. Let's compensate the owners to move the pig farm elsewhere, and let's organize an 'empty space' here that we fill with reverent remembrance," the candidate said.
"To fair-minded people, it is unimaginable that flies and an enormous stench should be here at the site of such suffering. Imagine if it was like this at Auschwitz, or at the Kobyliská střelnice [a shooting range near Prague where executions were carried out by the Nazis], or at Lidice or Ležáky," Horáček says in the video.
- Miloš Zeman circa 1998: CZK 600 million to build a memorial instead of a pig farm is "negligible amount"
- Czech President Zeman is in favor of leaving pig farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech Justice Minister says moving pig farm from Roma genocide camp may require expropriation
- US Chargé d’Affaires at Roma Holocaust site: I pay tribute to the Czech Government's pledge to solve the problem of the pig farm
- Czech Romani official who proposed Romani partisan for state honors: We must never forget him, skin color doesn't matter, what is important is bravery, human decency, and morality
- Demolition of the defunct industrial pig farm at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic has begun, memorial to the Holocaust of the Roma and Sinti is one step closer
- Photos and video from the symbolic demolition of the industrial pig farm on the site of the former concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- LIVE ONLINE 22 JULY: Grand launch of the demolition of the industrial pig farm at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic
- Demolition of industrial pig farm located on the site of former WWII-era concentration camp for Roma to begin so Czech Republic can build new memorial
- PHOTO GALLERY: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic 2022
- Renata Berkyová at Lety u Písku: How is the current Romani society living in the Czech Republic to comprehend the open racism toward Romani refugees from Ukraine?
- President of Czech Senate says Lety commemorations are a call for people to treat minorities fairly
- LIVE BROADCAST SUNDAY: President of the Czech Senate to attend commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku
- Czech ex-lawmaker gets six months, suspended for one year, for his remark about the WWII-era concentration camp for Roma at Lety u Písku
- Annual commemoration at Lety u Písku, Czech Republic, will honor the memory of the Jewish and Romani victims of Nazism on 8 May
- Czech Constitutional Court rejects complaint from man responsible for desecrating memorial to the Holocaust and its Romani victims at Lety