Czech presidential candidate says pig farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma must be demolished
Michal Horáček has published a video on his official Facebook profile in which he makes an absolutely clear statement about the pig farm that now stands on the site of the former concentration camp at Lety u Písku. "That pig farm must be demolished! It must! What should be here is an empty space that we will fill with remembrance and empathy," the candidate in next year's presidential elections said.
The reference to an "empty space" is Horáček's response to recent remarks by Czech President Zeman asserting that moving the farm would harm the Czech national economy. "Do you want to build empty spaces?" he asked the General Director of the Barrandov cable television channel, Jaromír Soukup, in a recent interview.
"I am standing at a place where 245 of our children perished. According to a directive dated 10 July 1942 more than 400 people were transported from here to the gas chambers as part of the Nazi'S 'Final Solution'," his Facebook post reads.
The video has been filmed inside a replica of the prisoners' sleeping quarters that was recently installed at the current memorial. "What you can't perceive from this video, unlike me, is the indescribable stench from the pig farm that was established here at one point by the communist regime. Let's finally allow the good and the empathetic in us to come out. Let's compensate the owners to move the pig farm elsewhere, and let's organize an 'empty space' here that we fill with reverent remembrance," the candidate said.
"To fair-minded people, it is unimaginable that flies and an enormous stench should be here at the site of such suffering. Imagine if it was like this at Auschwitz, or at the Kobyliská střelnice [a shooting range near Prague where executions were carried out by the Nazis], or at Lidice or Ležáky," Horáček says in the video.
- Miloš Zeman circa 1998: CZK 600 million to build a memorial instead of a pig farm is "negligible amount"
- Czech President Zeman is in favor of leaving pig farm on site of former concentration camp for Roma
- Czech Justice Minister says moving pig farm from Roma genocide camp may require expropriation
- US Chargé d’Affaires at Roma Holocaust site: I pay tribute to the Czech Government's pledge to solve the problem of the pig farm
- LIVE BROADCAST TONIGHT: Contemporary research of the Holocaust, Romani victims, and their public commemoration
- VIDEO: Commemorative ceremony at Lety u Písku and tour of the former pig farm
- Czech Police apprehend youth who desecrated Romani genocide memorial with pig's head
- Czech Constitutional Court: Complaint against decision to buy pig farm on Romani genocide site is inadmissable
- Czech memorial to Romani genocide apparently must be done in three years
- Demolition of pig farm on Romani genocide site in Czech Republic could provide jobs for long-term unemployed
- Czech Republic will not finance new memorial at Romani genocide site, funds will come from Norway
- Czech MP Karel Schwarzenberg will attend public discussion of the future memorial at Romani genocide site in Lety
- Traditional commemorative ceremony for the Romani victims of the Holocaust 13 May at Lety will launch new award
- Norway confirms it will give EUR 1 million to create memorial to Romani genocide at Lety
- Hundreds commemorate Romani victims of WWII-era camp, criticize Czech politicians for Holocaust denial
- Gallery in Czech capital to host discussion about new memorial commemorating the Romani genocide
Tags:Lety u Písku, Michal Horáček, President, Prezidentské volby
Pre peskere pindre: Romani leaders in Czech Republic learn how to avoid financial transactions with those who humiliate Roma10.5.2018 8:56
Emiliya Dancheva: Can we trust the European Parliament if its members are deaf and blind to anti-Gypsyism in Bulgaria?9.5.2018 6:55
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.