Czech Prime Minister thanks police officers for their intervention against a Romani man who later died in Teplice, claims it wasn't easy for them
Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš, who chairs the Czech Government Council for Romani Minority Affairs, has backed the police officers in Teplice and thanked them for their intervention against the late Stanislav Tomáš, who died after they arrested him. "If somebody destroys a car, is aggressive, and even bites a police officer, he cannot expect to be handled with kid gloves," the PM commented.
"The court autopsy, moreover, has clearly demonstrated that he did not die due to the intervention by police. This is sad, but a normal, respectable person would have a hard time getting into such a situation," the PM said.
"I thank the police in Teplice for their work, they didn't have it easy," the PM has commented. According to the most recent police statement, however, the final results of the court autopsy are not yet known.
"According to the preliminary autopsy report, there was reason to suspect the man had been under the influence of a foreign substance of an amphetamine nature, and the autopsy discovered pathological changes to the coronary arteries of the heart," police spokesperson Daniel Vítek previously stated. The incident, after which 46-year-old Stanislav Tomáš died in Teplice, happened on Saturday 19 June 2021.
An amateur video of the intervention has circulated on social media from which it is apparent that the man was physically resisting arrest and shouting and that the officers used force against him, including the tactic of kneeling on his neck. News server Romea.cz reported that the intervening officer knelt on the Romani detainee's neck for several minutes.
According to the police, Mr Tomáš then collapsed in the ambulance called to the scene and died. In the video of the intervention, however, it can be seen that Mr Tomáš stops moving while still prone on the sidewalk.
- Romani Lives Matter. Czech town sees candles and flowers placed at the site of the tragic death of a Romani man after police intervention involving kneeling on his neck
- Czech Police release new video footage of what preceded police intervention against Romani man who died thereafter
- Civil society members of the Czech Govt Roma Council ask Interior Minister to prioritize the thorough investigation of the death of a Romani man after a police intervention
- Czech Police: According to court-ordered autopsy, death of young Romani man unconnected to police intervention
- Czech Police statement on their kneeling intervention: Internal Affairs is investigating, autopsy will determine cause of death, the man collapsed in the ambulance
- Romani man dies after Czech Police kneel on his neck, they say drugs caused his death. Romani activists see parallels to George Floyd
- Czech Police charge two men over video in which one threatens to stab politician
- Fire in Czech town destroys building where bereaved relatives of Stanislav Tomáš, the Romani man who died in police custody in June, were living
- Czech man sentenced to three months in prison, suspended for one year, for assaulting Romani boy, but racial motivation is ignored
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Mayor and police in Czech town correct the record about assault incident to make clear Romani people were not involved as first alleged
- LIVE BROADCAST TODAY: Discussion of the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš, Ústí nad Labem, Czech Republic
- Czech court upholds conviction for making dangerous threats after neighbor threatens to kill three Romani women and their children with an ax
- Editor-in-Chief of Czech media outlet appeals direct sentencing for publishing antigypsyist content, the case will be heard in open court
- Human rights activists: Czech police officers who intervened against Stanislav Tomáš should be suspended until investigations end, ban kneeling on the neck during interventions
- Czech Police confirm football fans were behind Friday's attack on the Romani community of Sokolov
- LIVE BROADCAST TOMORROW 10 AM: Press conference on the case of the death of Stanislav Tomáš in the Czech Republic
- Civil society members of Czech Govt Roma Council: Investigate police response in Sokolov - it was inadequate and undermines trust in the police