Czech prosecutor can't see racist subtext in assault on MP where eyewitness heard racial abuse
According to State Prosecutor Tomáš Pindur, the case of the recent assault on Czech MP Dominik Feri was an ordinary incident caused by alcohol consumption, but a friend of Feri's alleges that one of the perpetrators said "niggers aren't human" during the incident. When asked for comment by news server irozhlas.cz, Pindur rejected the idea that the attack had a racist subtext.
Feri sustained a laceration to his back and several punches on Sunday in the village of Boršice and was taken to hospital by ambulance. "It was a wine festival that began at 9 AM and the incident is said to have happened around 5 PM, so that's what it was," Pindur said, adding that he does not see a racist subtext to the assault committed by two men.
"None. Absolutely not," the prosecutor said.
Feri tweeted that the perpetrators racially abused him. However, he did not himself hear the remarks, learning of them later from an eyewitness.
"I basically feel bad about this for everybody - the EMTs and the police officers. It's a holiday," the politician tweeted from the ambulance.
"I come here (for the fourth time) at Easter and some tough guys ruin it, apparently they were saying something about 'niggers'," Feri tweeted. The abuse that was motivated by racism was heard by Feri's friend, Vít Neruda.
"When I arrived there was a cluster of people," Neruda said. "No physical violence was happening, just verbal attacks."
"Something was being said about 'niggers' right then," Neruda said. Specifically, he heard the younger perpetrator say "niggers aren't human".
"I just heard it once, " Neruda said. "The detective asked me about it immediately that day, and I also described it the next day when giving my statement."
Detectives suspect both assailants of attempted grievous bodily harm and rioting. As of 22 April nobody had been charged yet.
If the police suspicions are confirmed, then the men face up to three years behind bars. The alleged perpetrators are said to be a father and son, the younger of whom has just been awarded his doctorate.
The incident happened Sunday evening in front of the local "House of Culture". "I went outside to smoke a cigarette, I had a glass of wine in my hand, I reached into my pocket for my cigarettes and suddenly I saw - my head was tilted down - that somebody was approaching me," Feri described the incident to the Radiožurnál station.
"The attacker comes pretty close to me and asks, 'You're Feri?' I say, 'Yeah, I am, how can I help you?'," the lawmaker described.
"I hadn't even finish speaking and he began to beat me," Feri said. "I did my best to cover my head, I couldn't perceive at all was going on around me in that chaos."
The politician is said to have had a conflict at that same event in the past with the older assailant. "I didn't realize that until afterward," he said.
"It was two or three years ago," Feri told the radio. "I was sampling the wines, he came up to me and said something like 'We're not interested in dicks from TOP 09'."
"He pushed me, slapped the glass out of my hand, and then the people around him pulled him away," the legislator alleged. When asked whether detectives would also be looking into the assailants' past behavior, the state prosecutor said "They may have had a dispute there before, but certainly not one that would have been grounds for suspecting a felony had been committed."
- Czech MP taken to hospital after two men physically assault him and racially abuse him
- Czech Police investigating assault on Romani children as a felony now
- Czech hockey fans taunt Romani player with racist abuse, owner of the team they support asks league to hand down punishment
- Czech Republic: Several Romani minors hospitalized after adults attack them, shouting racist abuse
- Czech prosecutor reviewing local election slogan referencing "pests" and "poison"
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion distances itself from group led by candidate for party using racist slogan
- Czech candidate for party that used racist slogan now works for new group aiding Roma
- Romani band Bengas issues new video protesting racist attacks after performer moves away from the Czech Republic
- Complaint against racist election campaign in Czech town heads to the European Court of Human Rights
- Czech courts convict two people for racist online hate speech about newborn, three more are under investigation
- Czech eyewitnesses to assault on African man say they fear for their lives if they testify
- Czech prosecutor seeks just four years in prison for fanatic who caused train crashes
- German MP who recently visited Czech President met with South African racists on official visit
- Fifteen anti-racist and Roma NGOs call on EU countries to commit to updating their Romani Integration Strategies after 2020
- Czech Police have yet to take statements of 10 foreign students assaulted two weeks ago in Ostrava
- Fashion designer Pavel Berky prevails with humility and talent over experiences of homophobia and racist assault
- Czech prosecutor to review police decision not to charge politicians over remarks about Romani genocide site
- Czech trial of racist assault on Prague tram: Eyewitnesses can still come forward, next hearing in January
- Czech court fines seven racists for approving of the murder of a Romani man, but one is appealing - for the publicity
- A quarter of a century ago, 18 racists hounded a Romani man to death; the Czech courts convicted just three
- Czech court hears accused assailants of African man deny they racially abused him in any way
- Czech convicted of racially-motivated murder of Romani man is running for mayor
- Racists and populists will not stop us! ROMEA launches crowdfunding campaign to support news server Romea.cz
- Czech appeals court reduces sentence for murder of Romani man to seven years, prosecutor calls it disproportionate, inhumane and unjust
- Czech prosecutors announce first indictment in case of online hate speech against first-graders
- Czech prosecutor indicts shooter for murder, refutes police report that he was responding to victim driving into people
- Čeněk Růžička reports crime to Czech State Prosecutor, accuses lower house vice-chair of doubting the Romani genocide
- Czech ombudswoman supports fundraising campaign for school whose first-graders were racially abused online
- Ultra-right marks Velvet Revolution by racially abusing Czech TV reporters, Arabs and Muslims
- Tamara Moyzes: I was raised to combat racial hatred
- Czech President and Governor of Olomouc Region doubt whether attack on African man in Prague was racially motivated
- Racially-motivated attack by football fans on African man on a tram in the Czech capital - nobody came to his aid
- Czech Police report low turnout for ultra-right event featuring speaker convicted of the racially-motivated murder of a Romani man
- Czech prosecutor says death threats and racist abuse committed through Facebook not necessarily crimes
- Czech MP posts racial slurs online to "test" public response, then says "just kidding"
- Czech prosecutor agrees with police that threat to burn down ROMEA is not a crime
- Czech Republic: Non-Romani man shouts racial abuse at 34-year-old Romani man before shooting him dead
- Czech state prosecutor rejects complaint from family of Romani man who died in presence of police
- Czech state prosecutor indicts four people over vandalizing "HateFree" businesses
- Czech prosecutor to review police procedure in case of Romani man who died in pizzeria
- Anniversary of the death of Helena Biháriová, one of the first victims of racial murder in post-1989 Czech Republic
- Czech Justice Minister will not discipline state prosecutor accused of protecting racists
- Czech court reviews alleged racial discrimination during first-grade enrollments
- Czech online daily wants public prosecutor disciplined for anti-Romani prejudice
- Analysis: Czech daily reprints eight-year-old dissenting opinions of Strasbourg judgment on racial discrimination in education
- Czech Police investigating hateful online comments inciting violence against Czech Radio reporter that were sparked by politician
- UK court sentences neo-Nazis for threats against Prince Harry because of his marriage to Meghan Markle
- Czech politician appeals sentence for his hateful remarks about minorities
- Czech prosecutor appeals after court acquits online hater of saying dark-skinned first-graders should be gassed to death
- Czech restaurant chain apologizes to Romani musician for refusal of service
- Czech town sees street fight, mayor writes about the "gypsy nuisance" - then ignores other violence involving non-Romani people
- Czech candidate shocked when online haters targeted her two-year-old
- Czech Police charge adults who assaulted Romani children with three felonies including racial defamation
- Czech restaurant says reservations, not racism, were why a Romani group was not seated despite empty tables
- Winner of Czech-Slovak singing competition "The Voice" subjected to racist attacks online
- EP elections bring two Romani men and one Romani woman to Brussels
- Czech court acquits football hooligans accused of assaulting dark-skinned man on Prague tram, prosecutor appeals