Czech prosecutor indicts shooter for murder, refutes police report that he was responding to victim driving into people
The gunman who shot a 34-year-old Romani man to death on Jirkovská Street at the Písečná housing estate in Chomutov last May has been charged with murder and property damage and faces between 12 and 20 years in prison if convicted. The case will be tried by the Regional Court in Ústí nad Labem.
The indictment refutes what police alleged during their investigation, namely, that prior to allegedly being "stopped" by the shooter, the victim had driven his car into people on the sidewalk. The unfortunate incident happened on Saturday, 27 May 2017.
During the course of the previous evening a family dispute developed between 34-year-old Radek Š. and his uncle that escalated at about 3 AM that day. Radek Š. got into his van and decided to drive away, but his relatives did their best to prevent him from doing so.
During their maneuvers the van damaged a parked automobile. The 37-year-old gunman who then ran out of a nearby apartment building and began shooting Radek Š. was basing his behavior on his mother's description of the situation, according to the indictment.
"On the basis of his mother saying that somebody outside was driving an automobile in a confused way, hitting other cars and maybe even people, and after looking out the window, he decided to stop the vehicle which, in his opinion, endangered the health and lives of the people there," news server Lidovky.cz quotes the indictment as saying. However, the notion that the gunman's actions were an effort to protect people on the street from a vehicle that was heading for them in such a way is contravened by the fact that Radek Š. was moving the automobile very slowly, at a speed of seven or eight kilometers per hour, according to the indictment.
There were also no barriers or people in the way of the vehicle to be threatened by its forward movement. The gunman fired at least 13 shots at the victim, eight of which hit him.
The victim died on the spot as a consequence of his serious injuries. The indictment has now refuted the information that police communicated to the public about the case during their investigation, alleging that the driver had crashed into parked cars and driven into people standing in front of the apartment building on the sidewalk.
According to the supervising state prosecutor, Vladimír Jan, the driver posed no danger to anybody at the scene of the tragedy. All of the others involved in the argument, with the exception of the driver of the automobile, had been out of any danger posed by the car for some time, so the gunman actually saved nobody by firing his weapon.
"It was not proven that his behavior met the definition of necessary defense, which would not be criminal," Jan told news server Romea.cz. The mother of the gunman, according to the indictment, also told investigators that she tried to convince her son not to leave the apartment, and it was she and several neighbors on the street who immediately called the police.
"At that moment the police were practically already at the scene. The man involved had decided to take justice into his own hands for no reason," the prosecutor told news server Lidovky.cz.
According to Jan, the crime was not racially motivated. Nobody corroborated the rumor that the gunman had allegedly abusively shouted "Shut your black mug, you gypsy fucker!" at the victim.
If it had been proven that the murder was racially motivated, the defendant could have faced extraordinary sentencing upon conviction. The gunman was in custody for two months to prevent him from influencing witnesses but has been free on his own recognizance since August.
- Czech court holds trial of man who threatened Romani children with gunfire at summer camp
- Czech court releases murder suspect from custody now that all witnesses to shooting of Romani man have been questioned
- Czech Police reconstruct murder of Romani man, shooter faces 20 years in prison if convicted
- Analysis: Czech Police say situation after Chomutov shooting not tense, locals say otherwise
- Commentary on shooting of Romani man in Chomutov: How many more murder victims before the state learns how to respond?
- Czech Police confirm local officers did not proceed absolutely correctly in case of gunfire near Romani children's camp
- Czech Republic: Gay Romani man's week includes a racist assault with a gun, rejection from a bar and strange police treatment
- Czech Republic: Romani gunshot victim gets two years for rioting
- Local Romani assembly member in Czech town seeks re-election, recommends running to others
- Czech Inspector-General prosecuting two police officers for torturing Romani man into a false confession
- Czech convicted of racially-motivated murder of Romani man is running for mayor
- Czech appeals court reduces sentence for murder of Romani man to seven years, prosecutor calls it disproportionate, inhumane and unjust
- Czech Police refute rumors that defecation in public pool was done by Roma - defamatory article sparked a racist wave online
- Independent Romani candidate collecting signatures to run for Czech Senate
- Czech Supreme Court overturns acquittal on publication of Hitler's speeches, wants more evidence
- Czech court rules activists did not enrich themselves by using abandoned building, state may go to Supreme Court
- Czech court rules in favor of songwriter's widow, xenophobic band loses prize named after him without authorization
- Slovak court convicts Romani victims of police raid for making allegedly false accusations of brutality
- Czech court acquits police officer, says use of force against Romani harvester was legal, state to appeal
- Slovak media have video footage of brutal attack that killed Filipino, suspect is in custody
Tags:Chomutov, Policie, Soud, Vražda
Každý diskutující musí dodržovat PRAVIDLA DISKUZE SERVERU Romea.cz. Moderátoři serveru Romea.cz si vyhrazují právo bez předchozího upozornění skrýt nevhodné příspěvky z diskuse na Romea.cz. Ty pak budou viditelné jen pro vás a vaše přátele na Facebooku. Při opakovaném porušení pravidel mohou moderátoři zablokovat zobrazování vašich příspěvků v diskusích na Romea.cz ostatním uživatelům.