Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments
Vodafone is thoroughly rejecting the comments of hatred and racism that began appearing on Czech social media in response to the company's advertising campaign for Christmas featuring two brothers, Sam and Max Budiman, whose father was Indonesian and whose mother is white - a fact that is a big problem for some Czech social media users. "A couple of days ago we launched our Christmas advertisements, and unfortunately they have been met on social media with hateful and vulgar reactions to the family appearing in them," General Director of Vodafone Petr Dvořák tweeted in a video at the close of November.
"We cast a family who may not be absolutely typical for the campaign, their father is Indonesian, and unfortunately he is no longer alive. However, this is a family who lives here with us [in the Czech Republic]," Dvořák said in the message.
"For us as a company, it's terribly important that we bring people together. We do so irrespective of their opinions, skin color, sexual orientation, sex, or the culture they come from," the General Director of the mobile phone services company said.
"Let's value respect and love, and let's combat hatred," Dvořák said in the video. "We thank all those who see things this same way."
The brothers had also been featured in an August ad campaign, but for the Christmas campaign they were joined by their mother Michaela, who is a professor of the Indonesian language and a translator, and the entire ad concept was based on the idea of "The real Christmas comes after Christmas," which is dramatized by the authentic testimony of the family. Hateful comments on social media in reaction to protagonists in ads who are not white are nothing new on the Czech and Slovak Internet, though.
In 2017 the target of such an online hate attack was a dark-skinned Senegalese model featured in advertising fliers released by Lidl. That same year an advertising campaign by a Slovak firm for sportswear that also featured a dark-skinned man sparked hateful comments on social media as well.
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- Older Romani woman recounts how security guards in Czech shop saved her from violent racist thug
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- Czech/Romani NGO tells Public Defender of Rights his remarks on Human Rights Day are a disgrace
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats sink to the level of ultra-nationalists with proposal to cut funding to NGOs working with minorities
- Editors at Slovak news server apologize for anti-Romani, racist joke, but legislator is filing a complaint
- Czech lower house to review Govt agreement with expansion of the EU Fundamental Rights Agency, which advises on racism and other matters
- Former Czech MP faces prosecution for his remarks about a "pseudo-concentration camp" for Romani people at Lety
- Czech court convicts CEO and publisher of Holocaust denial, fines both, appeals may be filed
- Czech Constitutional Court rules against hatred on the Internet in case involving threats against children
- Czech martial arts organization Oktagon MMA bans contestant because of Hitler tattoo
- Court in the Netherlands orders far-right politician to delete tweets comparing those avoiding the COVID-19 vaccine to Jews during the Holocaust
- New education portal about cyber hate launches and welcomes your input
- Czech NGO signs agreement with police to cooperate for the benefit of bias crime victims
- Czech court hands down suspended sentence for racist commentary on article about children's deaths and confiscates the computer used
- Greece: Romani girl caught in sliding doors dies due to shocking indifference of bystanders, her family sees it as racism
- Czech Police charge dozens of online haters for attacking medical workers as Facebook blocks French and Italian accounts campaigning against vaccination with violence