Czech racists hated Vodafone Christmas ad featuring non-white children, the company objects to their online comments
Vodafone is thoroughly rejecting the comments of hatred and racism that began appearing on Czech social media in response to the company's advertising campaign for Christmas featuring two brothers, Sam and Max Budiman, whose father was Indonesian and whose mother is white - a fact that is a big problem for some Czech social media users. "A couple of days ago we launched our Christmas advertisements, and unfortunately they have been met on social media with hateful and vulgar reactions to the family appearing in them," General Director of Vodafone Petr Dvořák tweeted in a video at the close of November.
"We cast a family who may not be absolutely typical for the campaign, their father is Indonesian, and unfortunately he is no longer alive. However, this is a family who lives here with us [in the Czech Republic]," Dvořák said in the message.
"For us as a company, it's terribly important that we bring people together. We do so irrespective of their opinions, skin color, sexual orientation, sex, or the culture they come from," the General Director of the mobile phone services company said.
"Let's value respect and love, and let's combat hatred," Dvořák said in the video. "We thank all those who see things this same way."
The brothers had also been featured in an August ad campaign, but for the Christmas campaign they were joined by their mother Michaela, who is a professor of the Indonesian language and a translator, and the entire ad concept was based on the idea of "The real Christmas comes after Christmas," which is dramatized by the authentic testimony of the family. Hateful comments on social media in reaction to protagonists in ads who are not white are nothing new on the Czech and Slovak Internet, though.
In 2017 the target of such an online hate attack was a dark-skinned Senegalese model featured in advertising fliers released by Lidl. That same year an advertising campaign by a Slovak firm for sportswear that also featured a dark-skinned man sparked hateful comments on social media as well.
- Scandalous fourth acquittal by Czech court of racist football fans accused of assaulting Black man on tram
- Czech court gives suspended sentence to adults who assaulted young Romani children physically and verbally in a park last year
- Racists in Czech capital assault non-white family, call the father "Cikán", give the Nazi salute, try to take their baby
- Older Romani woman recounts how security guards in Czech shop saved her from violent racist thug
- Romani kickboxer becomes Czech champion in classical boxing as well, will the big promoters notice?
- Czech/Romani NGO tells Public Defender of Rights his remarks on Human Rights Day are a disgrace
- Czech Republic: Further action needed to integrate Roma children in schools and prevent discrimination against LGBTI persons
- Commentary: Senator infamous for antigypsyist remarks about the "cikánská question" joins regional party in the Czech Republic
- Commentary: Czech Social Democrats sink to the level of ultra-nationalists with proposal to cut funding to NGOs working with minorities
- Romanian court hands down a scandalous decision: Roma woman who was beaten up by a minibus driver has to pay a fine
- German MEP of Romani origin Romeo Franz: The situation for Roma in Ukraine is shocking, I could not believe Roma live in such conditions in Europe
- CNN: Czech Republic has discriminated against Romani refugees from Ukraine, updated data refute the myth that they all hold dual citizenship
- Czech Police arrest purveyors of disinformation who hatefully threatened refugees from Ukraine, court remands them into custody
- Czech research finds one-third of Romani refugees from Ukraine have experienced discrimination here, most children are not in education, dual citizenship has not been "abused" by them
- Former Czech MP loses appeal over his hateful call to "get rid of useless people", the original sentence stands
- Hungary's Jewish Community protests PM Orbán's racist speech in which he said Hungarians don't want to become a "mixed-race" nation
- Czech volunteers say second-largest city has broken its agreement by closing camp used by Romani refugees from Ukraine near Grand Hotel
- New handbook describes how to intervene against daily hatred and racism in the Czech Republic, Germany, Italy, Portugal and the Netherlands
- Czech local candidates who quit the "Mayors and Independents" party have secured enough signatures to run as independents
- All candidates for the "Mayors and Independents" party in Czech town are quitting to run as their own group after mayor is told not to run for espousing racist violence
- Czech mayor must either withdraw his candidacy today or be delisted as a candidate by his party ahead of local elections for his racist advocacy of violence against Romani people