Czech region now has two local platforms hoping to connect pro-Roma and Roma organizations with local administrations and state institutions
In the Czech towns of Frýdlant and Tanvald, both in the Liberec Region, civil society platforms have been created by Romani organizations that aim to reduce mututal distrust between the non-Romani majority society and the minority Romani population. The platforms also want to motivate local residents to improve the situations locally overall.
Romany Art Workshop, a nonprofit organization run by Romani activists that is small in size and based in Tanvald, presented the project it is realizing in collaboration with partners at a recent press conference and through a press release. "In this introductory phase of the project we are concentrating on establishing regular communications with the local administration and public administration and the coordinator of the platform is participating in the community planning working groups on both municipal territories. The meetings of the platforms will be held four times a year," representative Patrik Kotlár says in the press release.
"The platforms aim to connect Romani and pro-Roma organizations, representatives of state institutions, the public administration, local administration, schools and other authorities. This is systematic work, collaboration among all stakeholders in both platforms," Kotlár says, adding that the first meeting of the platform in the Frýdlant area is being prepared for January 2022.
The partners in the project are the ARA ART organization, the Association of Romani Representatives of the Liberec Region, the Coalition of Romani Representatives of the Liberec Region, the Frýdlant Local Action Group and the Liberec Regional Authority. The project is financed by EEA/Norway Grants through the Czech Finance Ministry.
- Czech campaign online in support of LGBT+ members of the Romani community says life is "too short for us to hate our own children"
- Czech prosecutor finds livestreamed remarks made in pub about "stabbing" politician rise to the level of a misdemeanor only
- Czech gallery holds exhibition of visual antisemitism from the Middle Ages to the present
- Czech Police charge two men over video in which one threatens to stab politician
- Romani associations distance themselves from community member who apparently expressed desire to attack Czech politician
- Coalition of Romani representatives in Czech region of Liberec appeal to Romani community to follow COVID-19 pandemic regulations
- Czech Govt Agency for Social Inclusion does not support housing benefit-free zones in Liberec
- Declaration against xenophobia signed by 15 prominent figures in Czech town of Liberec
- Czech Republic: Four concentration camps for Roma ran during WWII in Liberec - Part Three
- Czech Republic: Four concentration camps for Roma ran during WWII in Liberec - Part Two
- Czech Republic: Four concentration camps for Roma ran during WWII in Liberec
- Czech state prosecutor agrees shooting of Romani men in Tanvald was self-defense
- Czech Press Agency attacks girl in Tanvald and boy in Olomouc
- Czech Romani activist debates central misdemeanor registry, prosecution of Tanvald shooting
- Czech Republic: Liberec Region demands Romani association return CZK 26 million
- Czech activist alleges reconstruction of shooting incident in Tanvald was one-sided
- Czech Police perform reconstruction of shooting incident in Tanvald
- Tanvald gunshot victim: "I fear for my life"
- Czech Republic: State prosecutor says Tanvald shooting was not racially motivated
- TV Nova reports two witnesses claim Romani youths attacked man who shot them in Tanvald
- Czech Police say prisoner killed himself, his relatives don't believe it, dozens of Romani community members protest outside the prison
- Czech nonprofit Romodrom celebrates its 20th anniversary
- Romani actors featured on Czech "StarDance" television show
- Six Romani men and women are running in Czech elections to the lower house, one for ANO and Levice, two for the Greens, two for ultranationalist party
- Pope's words at Romani housing estate in Slovakia gave hope to those attending
- LIVE AT 16:00 CET: Pope Francis meets Romani people at Košice's Luník IX housing estate in Slovakia
- Coalition of Romani Representatives of the Liberec Region, Czech Republic responds to critique of one of their members' live broadcasts on social media
- Most Czech publishers say literature by Romani authors is not "mature" enough - but the KHER press says it's ready
- Romani NGOs in Czech Republic's Liberec Region issue statement on events in the runup to the October elections, warn against ultra-right violence
- Czech Senate Committee on Social Policy recommends rejection of bill authorizing attachment of welfare benefits over local unpaid fines
- Stanislav Tomáš, who died in police custody, laid to rest in Teplice, Czech Republic. Civil society and his family call for his death to be properly investigated
- Romani residents of infamous Czech housing estate are repairing dilapidated buildings themselves with the help of the town hall